Getting Back Up - School Stress

Options
So this semester really knocked me back down. I haven't weighed myself, but I'm pretty sure I gained back most of what I'd lost during the summer (probably about 10lbs). I had a lot of setbacks early in October, with a bad knee injury that kept me from exercising. I had a lot of insomnia and migraines that were really derailing as well. The guilt and stress led me back to really bad habits, and along with very little exercise it's just been really bad. This isn't how I want to live.

So - any advice for moving forwards?

I've been okayed for exercising again, and I'm looking forward to swimming (in the middle of December, haha) again. I have access to two gyms, one near school and one near home, so I literally have no excuses anymore.

I really need to figure out how to manage stress and keep up a routine. I know that exercise is the best preventative measure, but convincing myself that it's okay to go take a break from staring down (and not completing) my assignment to do something tiring isn't something I've managed yet.

One of the worst things that derails me is not getting enough sleep or sleeping in too late. @ ppl who work out in the morning & keep an early schedule - how?!

I get that everyone is different, but if you know of things that have worked for you to fix these sorts of things I'll be really grateful <3

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    What's helped me establish a weight lifting routine is joining a gym on a Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun membership basis only. That way I can't (except for Saturday) say "I'll go tomorrow." Because I can go less often, I am going more often than if it were more available.

I walk at lunch and am motivated by:
    1. my pedometer
    2. being in the Walking to Mordor - LOTR/ The Hobbit Challenge
    3. the extra calories I earn
    4. feeling better due to exercise and being outside
    5. being energized in the afternoon rather than sleepy
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is major important that you go to bed at a time that allows you to get enough sleep.
  • CitrusEscape
    CitrusEscape Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out for too long. Just do a few strength training exercises and do a few minutes of HIIT for cardio.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It is major important that you go to bed at a time that allows you to get enough sleep.

+1, that would be priority #1 for me, also. Sleep will also promote healing.

Are you thinking a hardcore workout in the morning might help with sleep? Might be a bit ambitious. If you can go for a walk outside when you get up, or at least in the first half of the day, sunlight onto your retinas + gentle movement might help train your circadian rhythm up a bit. (Although I doubt you'd get the 10 000 lux that seems to help, if you're at a northern latitude. Still, it's probably better than nothing.)

Follow sleep hygiene principles at night as best you can, I guess you're familiar with those.