Lifting right before bed?

Options
So, I am a night owl, and actually have trouble falling asleep most of the time. However, I find that after a weightlifting session I get extremely sleepy and often end up taking an involuntary power nap.

I'm thinking about switching my Stronglift routine to right before bed to see if it will help me fall asleep. (This would also help me avoid that exhaustion-induced evening nap.)

Does anyone else work out late at night? How do you like it? Any pros/cons to this?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then do it. I work out every night about an hour before I sleep. I love it.
  • tckohn
    tckohn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hate working out at night. If I lift within a few hours of wanting to sleep then it never works, I usually get so amped up lifting and with music that I don't wind down as easily.

However, I have read that having a shower close to bedtime can assist with sleep so I suppose the post-workout shower could trigger some sleep
  • Nnsando
    Nnsando Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I workout at night too. I'm not the perky type in the morning and don't like feeling sore going to work. I sleep really well after a good workout.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm a night person, too. My gym is a 1 hr. drive round trip. I have to be at work at 7:15 am. There is no way I'm going to the gym in the morning before work. I go at night also and it works best for me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    this depends on you. When i lift, i feel pumped. I can't sleep for atleast 3-4 hours afterwards.
  • Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    this depends on you. When i lift, i feel pumped. I can't sleep for atleast 3-4 hours afterwards.
    This is why I lift first thing in the morning...dont even need a coffee to start the day afterwards! Ok thats a lie.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is whenever it fits best into your schedule and you'll do it most consistently.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Wake up, feel Ok, take pre workout and lift, amped for 6-12hrs (depending on how many scoops), then I feel tired and am able to sleep.