Metformin

Options
Has anyone who's taken this drug experienced weight loss? My doctor just prescribed it for me for PCOS.

Replies

• Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it myself.
    My Dr wanted me on it, but I tried a diet change first (for type 2 diabetes, not PCOS)
    Since that was working, I never had to go on it.
    If it doesn't help with weight loss or relief of PCOS symptoms for you, you may want to look into a diet change.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've seen this medication prescribed many times for PCOS. The theory behind this is a good one. Metformin is part of the antidiabetic drug class called bigaundies. But you don't have to be a type 2 diabetic to use it. These drugs work by causing tissues to become more sensitive to insulin and help transfer glucose to the cells more effectively. The overall effect is more stable, constant blood sugar levels, which cause less cravings for food and can result in weightloss. The weightloss in turn helps to balance sex hormones and can aide or reverse the effects of PCOS. It can work very well, but I'm glad you're here with us on MFP, because a balanced diet and decrease in total calories will of course support further weightloss and resolution. If you aren't diabetic then you'll have to watch for signs and symptoms of low blood sugar and I hope they went over those with you at the doctors office. (Clammy, cold skin, shakiness, confusion, anxiety to name a few).
    Wishing you all the best!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    My daughter did. Seemed to lose a lot of weight. A good low carb diet will do the same thing.
  • PCOS2Fit4Me
    PCOS2Fit4Me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on it for PCOS and I hate it but I deal. The reason I hate it is for two reasons: 1. I hate taking pills and 2. It tears up my stomach. I have changed my way of eating so I'm taking in less carbs and sugar and that seems to help with the stomach issue plus walking for 30 min a day. I have lost weight on it but I think it has more to do with the way of eating & exercise then the medication. I'm hoping to come off it it by next summer when I see my doctor.

I agree with what Leslie stated, if you are not on it due to being diabetic keep an eye out for signs and symptoms of low blood sugar as it can make your sugar drop.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I took it years ago for PCOS. It did have an appetite suppressing effect on me. Nothing crazy but I remember that part. I also remember the unfortunate gastro- side effect (which possibly was why I didn't want to eat as much.)
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes I take it, 1000 mg per day. I have taken it for a number of years. It has never keep me from losing weight. Try taking your meds after eating if you aren't already doing so. Drop enough weight and exercise, you MAY be taken off (by the doctor) Metformin. Good luck, and keep on plan..
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should have added, I am border line type 2.
  • weightsnbakes
    weightsnbakes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I take it for insulin resistance, which goes hand in hand with PCOS. I also am careful with my diet and exercise regularly. Hopefully with weight loss, my insulin resistance will go away and I will eventually be able to come off it. Metformin does cause some stomach upset, so be careful to take it with a meal and drink lots of water.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was on Metformin for many years, and it held my blood sugars at bay for a long time. It has a lot of positive metabolic effects. It might help you lose weight a little bit, or make your weight loss efforts a little more successful. Logging and tracking foods, keeping at a deficit, is what is going to bring about the biggest difference.

Metformin is not supposed to drop blood sugars, but when I lost significant weight I did experience some low blood sugar moments, like about 4 mmol/l (72 mg/dl).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Always take with food, split it up with your meals, and introduce it slowly. Even starting at half dose until your system gets used to it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Always take with food, split it up with your meals, and introduce it slowly. Even starting at half dose until your system gets used to it.

This is good advice. I hope that all doctors are doing this for their patients. I know that my doctor had me gradually up the dosage when I was first getting on it.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    GI upset is definitely a major complaint, my poor grandma can't take it because she looses control over her bowels. Some people cannot tolerate it, but luckily there are other drugs in the class that can produce the same benefit w/o as many side effects.