Chewing gum and calories?!

Options
Hey All-

I chew a lot of gum and was wondering if you all find if it helps or hurts your weight loss goals? Also, do you track gym?

I chew 1-2 packs of gum per day....

Also, any advice on BREAKING the habit?!!

Replies

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Jinkies, that's a lot of gum! If you are chewing that much gum you could be looking at about 200 cals a day (my sugarless gum shows 5 cals a stick). It helps me by giving me something to chew on in the afternoon instead of food when I am getting false hunger signals (I tend to mindlessly snack out of boredom, so chewing gum helps me).

Maybe slowly wean yourself off of it. One less piece every couple days. Or chew one piece longer! :)
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That is a lot! Calories are absorbed through the mouth, NOT the stomach. So even if it's not swallowed you still will get calories (which is why like PP said it is about five). I chew gum to subside mindless eating but not 24/7.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Find a gum with longer-lasting flavor. That is a whole heap of gum right there! I don't bother counting the calories when I chew gum, but even when I chewed it daily we're talking 2 or 3 pieces, tops. The pack would last me 1-2 weeks. My current pack has 3 pieces missing (gave hubs one) and I've had it for 2 weeks.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That is a lot! Calories are absorbed through the mouth, NOT the stomach. So even if it's not swallowed you still will get calories (which is why like PP said it is about five). I chew gum to subside mindless eating but not 24/7.

What? Where did you get this info? So far as I'm aware absorption happens in the intestines. Digestion begins in the mouth and breaks down food but I've never heard of absorption of calories in the mouth.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    cjsgrimlin1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sugar digestion begins in the mouth. Fat digestion doesn't even start till it hits the acid in the stomach and intestines. Sugar free gum wouldn't be digested really but the coating that holds it to its form would be. Yes the calories would still be counted. I would try to switch to a sugar free if your not eating one already and lessen the amount of sticks per day. Chewing gum isn't too bad a habit (as long as you take good care of your teeth) however the amount your quoting can certainly add to quite a lot of calories not accounted for.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    ragenhay1 wrote: »

What? Where did you get this info? So far as I'm aware absorption happens in the intestines. Digestion begins in the mouth and breaks down food but I've never heard of absorption of calories in the mouth.
    You are correct about where absorption occurs, but unless you are expectorating all of your saliva, calories are being swallowed as you chew gum, even if you do not swallow the portion that remains solid, you will ingest some calories for each stick.
    OP try limiting yourself to one piece per a given time period, or use it as a reward.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I was really trying to cut and chewing a lot of gum (pack per day) I eventually sucked it up and started counting calories for it. Now I'm in maintenance/surplus and am wondering if I should still do so. I mean, it's a little bit of a problem. I'm glad you posted because I was embarrassed (not that you should be). I am having a hard time stopping.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    1v13tale033t.jpg

Way back in 2012 I asked Wrigley about chewing gum. Thought it might be relevant here.

2 packs of gum? 24 pieces per packet?

The chewing gum I have is like 2 calories a piece so if your having 2 packs it starts to add up. I recommend you track it.

But does the 50-100 calories of gum your eating prevent you from eating 400 calories of donuts etc? If so maybe it's a beneficial habit.
  • janna878
    janna878 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I know, it's really a lot of gum and really disgusting!! HAHA! I buy the extra spearmint gum, so there are 15 sticks in a pack. I think I just have a habit of chewing. It isn't even to replace snacking. But if it's not gum, it's a mint. It's also an expensive habit. I will try the weaning idea and will definitely start to track it. Maybe that'll be enough motivation to "quit!"

It is a little embarrassing, but I know there are worse habits out there...

Thanks, y'all!
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I chew gum to prevent big binge eating session as well as keep my mouth and mind occupied when I am on the road somewhere or unable to eat ASAP and I wanna. I slowly weaned myself down to instances like that because otherwise I was chewing just as much as you before.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    janna878 wrote: »
    Thank you all! I know, it's really a lot of gum and really disgusting!! HAHA! I buy the extra spearmint gum, so there are 15 sticks in a pack. I think I just have a habit of chewing. It isn't even to replace snacking. But if it's not gum, it's a mint. It's also an expensive habit. I will try the weaning idea and will definitely start to track it. Maybe that'll be enough motivation to "quit!"

It is a little embarrassing, but I know there are worse habits out there...

Thanks, y'all!

I chew gum like crazy (habit from quitting smoking) I break off pieces of gum instead of chewing a whole stick at a time. So a fourth of a piece each time. I chew gum all day long. If food isn't in my mouth gum is! Try breaking the gum into 4ths. You still get the fresh gum without chewing a full piece at a time.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Oh dang You must have built up quite a tolerance to the sugar alcohols to stand the gastric distress from chewing that much gum!
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My chewing gum is 5 cal per stick. And yes, I do track it.
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can't have a pack of gum with me or I'll chew it all. My solution is to just not keep gum in my purse/at my desk/whatever.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!! It's mostly to relieve some anxiety I believe. Yes, the anxiety could lead to a binge. Sometimes hard to find a better way to cope in the moment. I go back forth on focusing on the calories and just trying to block it out of my mind!! Wish I could just relax.