nervous...help

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
Ok so I always make it through the week and then when the weekend comes I go crazy and then by monday I give up!!! So I am worried about saturday, my hubby and I are going to out to dinner with some of his old co-workers and I have never been there. I looked their menu up online but its kind of weird and high priced. I don't want to go crazy. So far since monday we haven't eat out, but man oh man do I want to some pizza and we have this place called pizza junction and they have the best BLT ever and great potato soup. Everytime I watch tv I see food and want it like crazy!!!! Will I ever be able to eat yummy food again??? Help

Replies

• mrsbuzz
    Options
    Ok so I always make it through the week and then when the weekend comes I go crazy and then by monday I give up!!! So I am worried about saturday, my hubby and I are going to out to dinner with some of his old co-workers and I have never been there. I looked their menu up online but its kind of weird and high priced. I don't want to go crazy. So far since monday we haven't eat out, but man oh man do I want to some pizza and we have this place called pizza junction and they have the best BLT ever and great potato soup. Everytime I watch tv I see food and want it like crazy!!!! Will I ever be able to eat yummy food again??? Help
  • mimi9463
    mimi9463 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello

I've done this before even though I am here again and the key is to pre plan. Go online and get menu ideas and calories, when you get there, you'll already know what you are ordering....and remeber skinny tastes better than anything!!!! LOL

Good Luck to you!!!!
  • mrsbuzz
    Options
    I did look up and they didn't have any info on calories or anything. I will be shopping with my sister so at least I will be walking a bit..
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Give yourself permission to eat whatever you want in moderation. You might be surprised what a good choice you make when you are not telling yourself you can't have anything. It's human nature to want what we can't have. Good luck and let us know how you do! <<HUG>>
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • mimi9463
    Options
    Well moderation is the key, when I have trouble looking up the calories, I try to pick a place that may have similiar items so that I can atleast have a general idea,
  • Lettuce13
    Options
    I am using the Cooking Light cookbook, not only are the recipes easy, but the food is delicious and the portions very generous. I have been cooking from it for the last week & my family has loved all of the dishes too!

There are some seriously good tummy fillers in it! I made the Black Bean & Chicken Chilaquales tonight & it was great. Also, alot of the recipes are already in this database.

Try checking it out from the library to see if you like it before you buy it.
  • MsFabulous
    Options
    Hi,

Try to eat the yummy food but, use protion control.
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous. You can eat yummy foods now - remember - it's all about portion control. If it's a pricier restaurant, they will make up pretty much anything you want probably. Find a menu item that sounds delish - but then get the grilled veggies or salad instead of all the fattening sides...

I love eating out with friends and have been happily surprised at all the things I can still eat - if I just substitute a couple of things. Food is fun - and think of it like working a puzzle when you eat out.

Check out the following link to see if they have your restaurant. Good luck, be strong.
    You can do this AND eat yummy:smile:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    oops - here's the link:

http://calorielab.com/index.html

:blushing:
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    also, maybe try having something light and nutritious before heading out to the restaurant. Then, you wont be so tempted to eat a fattening appetizer or the entire entree'. Also, plan ahead for the night, have a good filling breakfast, and a lighter low cal-lunch, some veggie snacks, and try to walk on a lunch break or something to make some room for the restaurant food! dont tell yourself you can have that food, because its unrealistic to do that for life!! good luck, and you can do it! :drinker:
  • MsFabulous
    Options
    Hi Mimi,

Would you like to start a team ?
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Boy can i relate... but i learned a trick that has saved me and allowed me to eat the stuff I like. You said they have yummy potato soup? get a cup instead of a bowl... that way your not tempted to eat a huge serving of it. You can always ask for a to go box prior to getting your dish and box up part of it for later before you start eating. Another trick when going out with friends... split something, that way you arent stuck eating the whole thing but still get to enjoy an outing and eat what you like. Also... fit in a workout before hand. You'll feel less guilty if you know that you got your exercise in and it will be easier to get back on track the next day.

:drinker:

Bottom line... enjoy yourself.. its ok to indulge occasionally.. as long as you realize that you are indulging and dont make a habit out of it.
  • mimi9463
    Options
    Ms. Johnnice,

I just sent you a friend request.
  • MsFabulous
    Options
    Hi MiMi,

I am so new to this and I am trying to understand how to navigate through this site. Is there a way I can send you my email address other that posting in on the message board?
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You should be eating yummy food now. There's no reason why you can't enjoy an evening out. Just use a little common sense and you'll be fine. Many of us approach this as a lifestyle change and part of that is being able to eat out and enjoy yourself. There are some strategies that will help:

1. Order water or a diet drink
    2. Don't eat the bread or whatever befores they offer. (peanuts, chips, etc).
    3. When ordering your main course get grilled or steamed (fish, chicken, or a lean cut of meat) and get a steamed veggie as your side. Avoid anything saute, fried or covered in cheese.
    4. Watch your portions. Most restaurants offer smaller/light side menus. But if you're ordering a 12 oz steak, only eat half of it and take the rest home.
    5. Be careful of salad and salad dressings. With all the croutons, bacon and cheese on some salads you might be better off having a burger. Get the dressing on the side and if possible order a light dressing.
    6. Don't be afraid to ask about ingredients and how things are cooked and make special requests.

If you want dessert or a drink then just plan it into your day and exercise a little extra or reduce your other meals to a few less calories.

Drink plenty of water before and the next day as there's usually a lot of sodium in restaurant food and you'll want to flush your system.

Above all, have fun :happy:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people post the restaurant's website on here and ask for help from the MFP family. Odds are, someone will be able to help steer you towards better choices on the list.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The more you speak and engage the group during dinner, the less you'll eat. :smile:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    Weekends are bad for me foodwise as well.....Saturday I go all morning running errands and dont stop to eat, so im ravenous when i get home and eat everything in site. then sunday im so sluggish from running all over town on saturday, plus stayin up late with hubby.

so now i'm gearing myself up for a lot of exercise this weekend....and hopefully i can stick with it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Boy can i relate... but i learned a trick that has saved me and allowed me to eat the stuff I like. You said they have yummy potato soup? get a cup instead of a bowl... that way your not tempted to eat a huge serving of it. You can always ask for a to go box prior to getting your dish and box up part of it for later before you start eating. Another trick when going out with friends... split something, that way you arent stuck eating the whole thing but still get to enjoy an outing and eat what you like. Also... fit in a workout before hand. You'll feel less guilty if you know that you got your exercise in and it will be easier to get back on track the next day.

:drinker:

Bottom line... enjoy yourself.. its ok to indulge occasionally.. as long as you realize that you are indulging and dont make a habit out of it.

This is super advice!!