Am I going to die of food poisoning?

Options
kr3851
kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
Here's a question for all you mummies out there - mine won't answer her phone so I can't ask her...

I cooked up some chicken breast last Wednesday night. Today is Monday. It's been refrigerated the entire time. I have two pieces left. Am I still safe to eat them? If not, how long can I keep them for (for future reference)?? I've been living on my own for seriously 10 years, and I cooked all my family's food for about 6 years before I left home - but I don't normally cook things in advance - or if I do, I freeze them. I have no idea if I'm about to kill myself at dinner...

Replies

• Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think about a week is still safe, given it's been kept at the right temperature. If it doesn't smell weird I'd heat it and eat it! :)
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    After five days I'm not sure I'd trust it. Does it smell bad? If in doubt, throw it out! It's probably all dried out anyway. If cooking ahead, individually wrap, then freeze if you can.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    personally I think its pushing the boundaries. If I cook chicken - I eat it within two days three at a push. However the smell should tell you!

If you cook a chicken I would tend to freeze any left overs. That way you can make it last a bit longer!

Doubt if you would die if you ate it! But there is a risk you could be sick!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for all you mummies out there - mine won't answer her phone so I can't ask her...

I cooked up some chicken breast last Wednesday night. Today is Monday. It's been refrigerated the entire time. I have two pieces left. Am I still safe to eat them? If not, how long can I keep them for (for future reference)?? I've been living on my own for seriously 10 years, and I cooked all my family's food for about 6 years before I left home - but I don't normally cook things in advance - or if I do, I freeze them. I have no idea if I'm about to kill myself at dinner...

In my world, five days is the "use it or lose it" limit for home-cooked meats (less for fast food/restaurant food). Make sure you heat it thoroughly before eating, and, as was said before, if it smells (or tastes) even a little off, give it a bye-bye. Have you tried making in advance and then freezing in air-tight containers?

Kris
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use a 72 hour rule, from time of thawing to consumption, refrigerated between, if I need to keep it longer I freeze it.

USDA recommends 1-2 days of refrigerated storage (40°F).
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    Any meat or poultry should never be consumed after three days maximum. That is what I learned in a food safe course I took last year.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Look at it and smell it first, of course, but if it was me, I would probably eat it.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

In my world, five days is the "use it or lose it" limit for home-cooked meats (less for fast food/restaurant food). Make sure you heat it thoroughly before eating, and, as was said before, if it smells (or tastes) even a little off, give it a bye-bye. Have you tried making in advance and then freezing in air-tight containers?

Kris

To clarify, this is cooked meat, not raw. If it were uncooked meat, I wouldn't recommend any longer than two days.

Kris
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I have eaten cooked chicken up to a week later -- that's how my boyfriend and I usually do it to make meals during the week easier, and we've never had a problem...
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Was it refrigerated right after it was cooked? I would just smell it and taste a small bit first... Me personally, I would just toss it, I don't eat anything that has sat in the fridge (cooked) for more then 3 days...
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Was it refrigerated right after it was cooked? I would just smell it and taste a small bit first... Me personally, I would just toss it, I don't eat anything that has sat in the fridge (cooked) for more then 3 days...

And that is only because I am picky about things like that.. but my husband has eaten something just like that in those same days and was fine... smell and taste is the best solution if you don't want to just toss it out, IMO>
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It won't kill you but it may make you have diarrhea and some big time cramping. 3 days is as long as you can garentee left over safety. After that - you are eating at your own risk.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    does it smell bad? Is it mouldy or have a funky coating?

if not, id probably eat it
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I'm sure a bit of runny poo would be good for my weight loss if I was weighing in tonight.. but the dehydration effects aren't worth it in the long term.

Might bin it.
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    I use a 72 hour rule, from time of thawing to consumption, refrigerated between, if I need to keep it longer I freeze it.

USDA recommends 1-2 days of refrigerated storage (40°F).

Ditto! I am so anal when it comes to food, the thought alone of eating something that has been opened/cooked and left more than a day makes me ill!! Chicken is not a food to be messed with either as it is a prime candidate for salmonella - my opinion, bin it! But if your not so fussy do the sniff test and make sure it is thouroughly re-heated.
  • rupicola
    rupicola Posts: 9
    Options
    I found this by Googling:

REFRIGERATOR HOME STORAGE (at 40° F or below) OF CHICKEN PRODUCTS

Fresh Chicken, Giblets or Ground Chicken 1 to 2 days
    Cooked Chicken, Leftover 3 to 4 days
    Chicken Broth or Gravy 1 to 2 days
    Cooked Chicken Casseroles, Dishes or Soup 3 to 4 days
    Cooked Chicken Pieces, covered with broth or gravy 1 to 2 days
    Cooked Chicken Nuggets, Patties 1 to 2 days
    Fried Chicken 3 to 4 days
    Take-Out Convenience Chicken (Rotisserie, Fried, etc.) 3 to 4 days
    Restaurant Chicken Leftovers, brought immediately home in a "Doggy Bag" 3 to 4 days
    Store-cooked Chicken Dinner including gravy 1 to 2 days
    Chicken Salad 3 to 5 days
    Deli-sliced Chicken Luncheon Meat 3 to 5 days
    Chicken Luncheon Meat, sealed in package 2 weeks (but no longer than 1 week after a "sell-by" date)
    Chicken Luncheon Meat, after opening 3 to 5 days
    Vacuum-packed Dinners, Commercial brand with USDA seal Unopened 2 weeks Opened 3 to 4 days
    Chicken Hotdogs, unopened 2 weeks (but no longer than 1 week after a "sell-by" date)
    Chicken Hotdogs, after opening 7 days
    Canned Chicken Products 2 to 5 years in pantry
  • wigglentwink
    wigglentwink Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    This is probably a little far out for some, but I believe that you have a nose and a tongue on purpose. If kept in an airtight container, and it smells ok, cooked chicken is fine for a week. No worries. If you threw it in the fridge uncovered or left it on the counter for a while before putting it away....it's toast.

If it smells yucky. :ohwell: Don't eat it. If it tastes bad...don't eat it. :sick: If it gives you the willies...don't eat it. :huh: Those are my guidelines....

:glasses:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My partner's a chef with various food hygiene qualifications. He chucks out anything that's cooked and put in the fridge if it hasn't been eaten the next day. It's both annoying and expensive! If you do take the risk, at least ensure it's piping hot all the way through.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Look at it and smell it first, of course, but if it was me, I would probably eat it.

I second this...I usually cook large potions and then eat on it for a week...If I cooked chicken Wednesday, then it's good until the next Tuesday...but of course it's refrigerated and only the portions I am eating at the time are re-heated...i HATE wasting food! Thats like throwing $$ in the garbage!

and of course..if it tastes or smells funny..do NOT eat it...
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    One week for cooked meats is my rule of thumb. However, the sniff test always works as a secondary measure.