Overcoming shyness of running in the public

Options
For a long time I have been trying to build up the courage to run in public. But I feel very self conscious. It effects my workout because I can't focus. Usually, I would rather throw in the towel before I can even get half a mile in. Any tips on how to overcome my annoying shyness?

Replies

• MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Your just a person and so is everyone else. You should be proud to run in public whereas everyone else is too lazy to.
  • ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I was like that then my friend told me when she started she used to think "I may be slow but at least I'm trying.I'm lapping all the people sat on the couch at home". She now runs ultramarathons,and she is my inspiration.
    I've never had a runner look at me like I shouldn't be there and the opinions of those that don't run,don't matter. You gotta start somewhere x
  • melamelachan
    melamelachan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As a runner, whenever I pass another runner, no matter their shape, size, or speed, all I ever think is, "Cool! Another runner!" We all understand that this is hard at the beginning, we've all been there. And personally, I have a lot of respect for those who struggle to finish half a mile, because at least they are out there, struggling and working hard. It will get easier with time (both the running and the self-image), so just get out there and do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No one cares. Honestly.
  • niceguyron44095
    niceguyron44095 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be proud, at least your running. I'm still thinking about it - Need to walk a month before I even try.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Usually if I see someone running/jogging/walking, I always think "I want to do that". So they give me motivation. If anyone is criticizing you, then that is their problem. You are running for yourself, not anyone else. Let them look. If they do not like it, they'll look away.
  • kay86w
    kay86w Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. When I first got on a a treadmill I found myself doing a fast paced walk because I was too nervous to run. But what everyone has posted here is absolutely true! Everyone's too concerned about themselves (as you even are) to worry about what anyone else is doing :)
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    As a runner, whenever I pass another runner, no matter their shape, size, or speed, all I ever think is, "Cool! Another runner!" We all understand that this is hard at the beginning, we've all been there. And personally, I have a lot of respect for those who struggle to finish half a mile, because at least they are out there, struggling and working hard. It will get easier with time (both the running and the self-image), so just get out there and do it.

This is exactly how I feel whenever I see someone running! I've been running for almost four years, and when I started I felt like I was doing it all wrong, or looked stupid, etc., but I've found that runners are so welcoming and encouraging. No matter how far or how fast you run, you are a bada$$ because you're doing it!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Just get out there. Once you've run for 3 months you'll look back and wonder what the big deal was about.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I was very much the same way in the beginning. I went to the trail and I would just walk because I was embarrassed. It didn't take long to see how silly it was because I was being passed by all sorts of people who were running at their own pace and I felt like a ninny for being too afraid to run. I built up by waiting til the trail was clear and I would run just for a little bit, but would still stop when I saw other people. Then I realized how silly that must be too. Finally I just sucked it up and ran one day. I usually listen to music so that helps me focus and now I barely notice the other people except for safety sake.