More Calories?

Options
Ok, so everytime I turn around it seems like I'm being pushed to eat more calories. I am 320lbs and when I watch what I eat I usually average about 1,000 calories a day. But I am stuffed!!! I eat a cup of oatmeal in the morning, a salad for lunch and grilled chicken with broccoli or cauliflower for dinner. I stick to this and don't lose much weight!!! I don't understand how this happens. Can anyone help?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your logging? If you're truly eating such a tiny amount the weight should be melting off at a rapid speed.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Are you certain you're really eating only 1000 calories/day? A male your size would be dropping weight like crazy if that were really the case.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Okay, well, a few things.
    1. You say you stick to about 1000 calories and don't lose much weight. How much weight do you lose when you do this? What do you consider "not much" for weight loss?
    2. You didn't get to be 320 pounds by eating 1000 calories per day, so that is a very radical shift in your diet that can lead to binging and, ultimately, failure. This is why you are being told to eat more.
    3. If you're truly not losing much weight, depending on my first question, then there is no way you're eating 1000 calories per day. You would most likely be dropping two pounds per week if you were.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1000 calories, if your logging is accurate, is way too low. Even the minimum 1500 is probably too low at your size. If you can't meet your calories, start adding in some higher calorie items.
  • jharp147
    jharp147 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everything is accurate. I'm not trying to lie about what I eat or my consumption of it.

But, I fluctuate on average 2-4lbs +-/day. Depending on my workouts, what I eat, ext...

I way myself the same time daily. But since June I've lost 40lbs. I was at 50lbs lost... But I got lazy.

Maybe my expectations may be too high. I'm not sure.

I should have clarified that this is not my first attempt at this. And I began logging my food again. But in the past when I have logged every single meal and kept to a strict diet and only snacking on celery and a apple when I get a sweet tooth. The lbs don't "melt off". Even with exercise ontop of everything.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Forty pounds since January is great. You are doing well. Keep logging.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jharp147 wrote: »
    Yeah, everything is accurate. I'm not trying to lie about what I eat or my consumption of it.

But, I fluctuate on average 2-4lbs +-/day. Depending on my workouts, what I eat, ext...

I way myself the same time daily. But since June I've lost 40lbs. I was at 50lbs lost... But I got lazy.

I should have clarified that this is not my first attempt at this. And I began logging my food again. But in the past when I have logged every single meal and kept to a strict diet and only snacking on celery and a apple when I get a sweet tooth. The lbs don't "melt off". Even with exercise ontop of everything.

At your current size you can lose SAFELY 3.2 pounds per week.

It sounds like you've lost roughly 2-ish pounds per week if you're down 40-50 since June.

So, then, why isn't the weight melting off? Why aren't you losing now? You said it yourself, you got lazy. You are eating more than you think or want to admit. And lastly, you are expecting too much too fast. You didn't get to your size overnight, it's not going to go back overnight either. Stop having such ridiculous expectations.

I'd say you are logging things wrong, measuring things wrong, forgetting to log things like condiments/drinks/etc. Hell, if you are eating back exercise calories that also has some play in the equation.

You need to re-group and be real honest with yourself. Once you do that, start over TODAY, and report back in a few weeks. You'll notice the difference.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    50 lbs in 6 months is pretty decent. Are you doing some weight training also?

You lost 1/7 of your body weight! that is a tremendous accomplishment. It may not have showed on your frame (it looks like you have a large frame). The next 20 or 30 lbs will probably be very obvious.

BTW Asking you to eat more than 1000cals isn't forcing food down your face. It is unhealthy for more women to eat less than 1200 cal, never mind a healthy, large adult male. You probably would do well eating nearly 2000 cals and still lose 2 lbs a week.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You're not eating 1000 calories per day, so that's good. Like another poster said, the weight would be melting off you.

If you want to lose two pounds per week, eat TDEE -20% or set MFP to lose 2 lbs per week, and use a food scale.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine feeling stuffed on 1000 calories a day. ..
    OP can you open your diary?
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hey bud, please check this out.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jharp147 wrote: »

no one said you were lying but do you use a food scale? if not chances are you are eating more than 1k.

As for why people tell you it's not enough..because it's not enough.

I eat 1500-1800 and lose and I am 2x your age and a woman....and half your weight.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In what world is losing 40-50 pounds in 5-6 months not much weight lost?

Use a digital food scale. Not a cup. Measure all solids to the gram. Measure all liquids with a liquid measuring cup or with a digital food scale. If you absolutely cannot use a digital scale for your solids (e.g., the scale's batteries are dead not because you don't feel like buying a scale) use a measuring cup but don't jam it full to get extra bites. If you are out of the house and cannot weigh or measure your food, use good estimating skills. Google "food serving size chart" for a bunch of Google images that will help you learn visual cues for that. Log your food using good solid entries in the MFP database (e.g., USDA entries based on grams, entries that match the food label you have in your hand) or enter accurate entries yourself.

Accept that your fat isn't going to melt away and that 2 pounds per week, yes even if it is safe for you to lose 3 pounds per week, is a great rate of loss.
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink per day OP? Drinking half ur body weight in oz is what I try to do. That will help a lot too.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    In what world is losing 40-50 pounds in 5-6 months not much weight lost?

Use a digital food scale. Not a cup. Measure all solids to the gram. Measure all liquids with a liquid measuring cup or with a digital food scale. If you absolutely cannot use a digital scale for your solids (e.g., the scale's batteries are dead not because you don't feel like buying a scale) use a measuring cup but don't jam it full to get extra bites. If you are out of the house and cannot weigh or measure your food, use good estimating skills. Google "food serving size chart" for a bunch of Google images that will help you learn visual cues for that. Log your food using good solid entries in the MFP database (e.g., USDA entries based on grams, entries that match the food label you have in your hand) or enter accurate entries yourself.

Accept that your fat isn't going to melt away and that 2 pounds per week, yes even if it is safe for you to lose 3 pounds per week, is a great rate of loss.

Great advise.