TMI - question re: weight loss and perimenopause

Options
Hey There - has anyone else experienced their period re-starting after they lost weight? I'm 49, so I wasn't shocked when I went 4 months without, but am surprised it's back now that I'm down 20 lbs. Any thoughts on if this is weight loss related or just the normal way things work?

Replies

• spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm no expert. I don't think losing weight has anything to do with it.
    I've read that until your cycle is gone for an entire year, you are still in Peri. When you have gone a full year without it, you've entered menopause... YAY! Not. lol.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Just the normal way things work. My sister is perimenopause, very active (she's training for an IronMan right now!) and she didn't get her period for 4 months, then all of a sudden it showed up. I don't believe weight loss has anything to do with it.
  • sonyaruns
    sonyaruns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I thought it was possibly a coincidence, but I also was aware that body fat can affect hormones. I guess I'll restart the clock on menopause :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Restart the clock. :smile:

I had to restart mine again a while back.

Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Yes, apparently it is normal to start skipping a few months here and there until eventually you miss a full year.

I can't wait!! If I skipped one month, I'd be doing cartwheels in the streets. I've been told I'm definitely into perimenopause, but I've yet to miss a period.
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am in perimenopause, I missed three months. Then 4th month, BAM, my period started again. I am in maintenance for 8 months. So, it has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I don't know your current stats, but being overweight can stop / delay your cycle
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Went 11 months without a period.

Trotted off to Europe, without the usual supplies, lo and behold started my very last period in Bruges. Lots of fun trying to find anything at 11 at night when you don't speak the language.

It is normal to have a stop and start phase. Probably unrelated to your diet.

Cheers, h.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    It's not weight related. I stopped for 9 months and thought 'yay! That was easy!' Then it came back. I stopped for 12 months and thought 'yay! That seems final!' It came back again. Gah!!! Now it's been gone for over two years. Shhhhh... it might hear us... ~looks over shoulder nervously~
  • sonyaruns
    sonyaruns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Trotted off to Europe, without the usual supplies, lo and behold started my very last period in Bruges. Lots of fun trying to find anything at 11 at night when you don't speak the language.

Cheers, h.

Trying to imagine how one would describe this in sign language.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Cheers, h.

Trying to imagine how one would describe this in sign language.

LOL.

• cydulrich
    cydulrich Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 57 and have no idea if I am even done with menopause...I have been on BC pills for 40 years straight. Went off 3 weeks ago so I can get an FSH test tomorrow and have lost 5 pounds since being off the pills. Does anyone LOSE weight due to menopause? I have tried researching this but there is nothing on it. I have never been overweight....5'5" and was 125 up until 1 week ago, now I am at 120. I also have more energy and sleep through the night which I have not done in a long time. I keep hoping they will tell me I am done with menopause altogether, that I went through it and did not even know it. LOL