Macros?

Options
I'm a 21 year old female, 5'3", 123 lbs trying get to 118 but I've been stuck at this weight for the past two years. I'm trying to understand this macros thing and I'd like any input or advice I can get from anyone. Could anyone suggest what I should set my macros at? Trying to lose weight, I'd like to tone up but I can't find time for exercise, however I work at Starbucks so I'm on my feet all day. Thanks to anyone who helps!!!

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You're a fantastic weight for your height already :)

I'd definitely suggest looking into strength training to change your body shape and achieve that 'toned' look you're after! Eat at maintenance (MFP will set your macro's for you! - though it isn't vital to be 100% on point with these) and look into a progressive lifting plan! If you are a member of a gym, a trainer will help you!

Losing more weight isn't going to achieve a 'toned' look.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    karlav1394 wrote: »
    I work at Starbucks so I'm on my feet all day. Thanks to anyone who helps!!!

Avoid getting the calorie filled free drinks on your shift, or just limit the number or size you drink. From what I remember you can end up getting up to 4 free drinks on one shift depending on the hours you work. Whatever you get log it in your food diary.
    It's all about calories in and calories out, macros are really only useful for certain fitness goals, not weight loss.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Speaking very generally, think about it this way...

Calories should be used to control weight - an excess will cause you to gain, a deficit will cause you to lose.
    Macros should be used for body composition, energy needs, and general preference/satisfaction with your diet.

More to your question, macros should be looked at as ranges, not as hard and fast specific numbers. Where you're specific macro goals fall within those ranges depends on a variety of things (preferences and goals being the biggest ones).

Fats: .25-.5g per lb of total body weight (that would be 30-60g @ 120lbs)
    Carbs: 1.5-3g per lb of total body weight (180-360g @ 120lbs)
    Protein: .75-1.5g per lb of lean body mass (67-135g @ 120lbs and 25% body fat, just as an example)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Well, macros specifically aren't going to help you with your goals. I'm 5'3" just like you and I started here at 139 pounds at the end of June. I'm 114.6 pounds as of this morning. If you want to lose weight, the calories you eat have to be less than the calories you burn. It doesn't matter what your macros are. However, to feel full on less food, an adequate amount of protein and fat are necessary. I found that for general weight loss, I did very well on a 40 Carb/30 Fat/30 Protein split. I carb cycle now and follow different macros on lifting days versus cardio days, but I have a very strict workout routine and very specific fitness/body composition goals.
  • karlav1394
    karlav1394 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much everyone, I get it now. So....what's carb cycling? I keep hearing this term, does it have anything to do with bulking and cutting? Not even sure if I'm using the right terminology, I just want to understand it all. Thanks again everyone !
  • karlav1394
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    I work at Starbucks so I'm on my feet all day. Thanks to anyone who helps!!!

Avoid getting the calorie filled free drinks on your shift, or just limit the number or size you drink. From what I remember you can end up getting up to 4 free drinks on one shift depending on the hours you work. Whatever you get log it in your food diary.
    It's all about calories in and calories out, macros are really only useful for certain fitness goals, not weight loss.

Haha omg yeah! I definitely avoid those, especially since I know exactly what goes in them, totally turned me off of those drinks. I mostly drink green tea and only if I'm super tired I'll have a black coffee.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Wow thank you so much everyone, I get it now. So....what's carb cycling? I keep hearing this term, does it have anything to do with bulking and cutting? Not even sure if I'm using the right terminology, I just want to understand it all. Thanks again everyone !

Carb cycling is when you eat high carb on some days and low carb on others. I eat 50% carbs, 20% fat, 30% protein on days that I lift weights and 20% carbs, 50% fat, 30% protein on cardio and rest days. I also eat close to my maintenance on lifting days and I eat at a deficit on cardio and rest days. Part of why I carb cycle is because I do Intermittent Fasting. Intermittent Fasting is when you only eat during a certain time period during the day. I follow the Leangains Method, which recommends 16 hours of fasting/8 hour eating window per day for men and 14 hours of fasting/10 hour feeding window per day for women. I started with 14/10, but I found I can handle 16/8 without an issue. All of this stuff is not necessary for standard weight loss, so don't think you have to do all of this or even a portion of it to achieve results. I do it because I have specific fitness goals that I've set out to achieve now that I've lost the weight I wanted to.

Again, for weight loss, CICO: Calories In < Calories Out is the most important factor; you will not see results without it. Macros only help in figuring out what combination of fats, proteins, and carbs helps you feel the most satiated. Some people do great following low carb, some do better high carb, some work best with a 33/33/33 split of carbs, fats, and protein. It's all about figuring out what works best for you.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Carb cycling is when you eat high carb on some days and low carb on others. I eat 50% carbs, 20% fat, 30% protein on days that I lift weights and 20% carbs, 50% fat, 30% protein on cardio and rest days. I also eat close to my maintenance on lifting days and I eat at a deficit on cardio and rest days. Part of why I carb cycle is because I do Intermittent Fasting. Intermittent Fasting is when you only eat during a certain time period during the day. I follow the Leangains Method, which recommends 16 hours of fasting/8 hour eating window per day for men and 14 hours of fasting/10 hour feeding window per day for women. I started with 14/10, but I found I can handle 16/8 without an issue. All of this stuff is not necessary for standard weight loss, so don't think you have to do all of this or even a portion of it to achieve results. I do it because I have specific fitness goals that I've set out to achieve now that I've lost the weight I wanted to.

Again, for weight loss, CICO: Calories In < Calories Out is the most important factor; you will not see results without it. Macros only help in figuring out what combination of fats, proteins, and carbs helps you feel the most satiated. Some people do great following low carb, some do better high carb, some work best with a 33/33/33 split of carbs, fats, and protein. It's all about figuring out what works best for you.

Exactly what this person said. If your doing resistance training and wanting to tone up, a good rule of thumb is 1g protein per each pound to your goal weight. Try 118g of protein daily and set your the rest of your macros around this. Include carb cycling, but keep your protein high every day.
  • karlav1394
    Options
    Wow ok that makes much more sense. Again, thanks so much guys, you guys are awesome!
  • skinny_wallet_farm
    Options
    This has been the most informative post I have read in ages. I am getting back into tracking and lifting and even though I had done this before (bikini comp), I feel like a newbie!
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Im sorry, I thought I had come to the MFP message board. It surely cant be because this may be the best answer to a fitness/diet question I have ever seen. I must be dreaming. Seriously.......all of this!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Low carb, for sure. Keep your carbs below 100, and that should help burn more fat.