Give me a killer treadmill interval worout!

Options
I'm bored of my current cardio routine, and I really wanna burn extra calories.
So could anyone give me a very hard, killer treadmill intervals workout that's gonna make me sweat like crazy?
Tell me your cardio routines.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Intervals isn't the way if you want to maximise calories. Train at your highest sustainable HR for the duration of your workout if you want to do that.
  • mariamwhatandwhy
    mariamwhatandwhy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Intervals isn't the way if you want to maximise calories. Train at your highest sustainable HR for the duration of your workout if you want to do that.

So what are intervals good for?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Training for sport would be one example.
    Especially sports that require bursts of higher effort and then recovery. When I played squash almost all my training was interval training or short duration maximal effort training.

One of my indoor cycle training routines is two and a half minute intervals for an hour alternating between brisk flat pace with moderate resistance / seated climbing high resistance / standing climbing very high resistance.
    That mimics some of the terrain I cycle on.

Intervals can also be more motivating and interesting than steady pace of course.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Intervals are very good for improving fitness. They burn more calories per minute, but since you cannot sustain them, you will do fewer minutes and burn fewer total calories.

If exercise for you is a tool for calorie burn, intervals are not a great idea. If your goal is to improve cardiovascular fitness in limited time, they are amazing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So could anyone give me a very hard, killer treadmill intervals workout .

Get outside and run in the real.

When you can run for an hour 4 times per week, then think about sprint intervals.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is not an interval program but it is a treadmill program. I like having a program to follow, period, just for the sake of progressing through something. I did this last winter and will be starting it up again soon.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/get-ripped-get-walking
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Intervals are good for lactate clearing, getting used to running at VO2max, and neurological development.
    All things that are useless without a good aerobic base. Slow it down to an even conversational pace and go for more miles. If treadmill is boring, go outside for a run in the beautiful nature.
  • MahmoudSuliman
    MahmoudSuliman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As for interval training and burning calories
    "insanity" is what you looking for :smiley:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Others have given you good advice and information. However, I would disagree somewhat with the "don't do intervals until you have an aerobic base" idea. I say "somewhat" because I understand the context behind that statement, and that one is using the definition of "interval training" as doing (near) max effort intervals. In that context, I agree with the idea that developing a good base is more productive.

However, if you use the term "interval training" to mean "alternate work and recovery periods", then I think interval training is very beneficial and necessary even for beginners. The increased stimulus of the work interval can be very helpful for improving both aerobic power and endurance. You make the work interval a threshold intensity rather than all out.

Here are two ideas: warm up, followed by 16x1 min work intervals, alternating w/1 min recovery intervals. Do the work intervals at about 75%-80% max, recovery at 40%-50%.
    Second: Alternate 4 min work intervals with 4 min recovery, repeat 4 times. This is a little tougher than #1, but will give you a little better improvement in VO2 max.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Doing that on a dreadmill almost certainly would be a killer
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Some people find treadmills convenient/necessary/even a pleasant part of their workout. No need to continually denigrate them with the oh-so-clever "dreadmill" thing. It's lame and it's tired.

I, for one, use one at least four times per week so I can get my miles in because I live in a frozen hellscape half the year and don't wish to injure myself on the ice or freeze the skin off my face in -40 windchill...not to mention my downtown apartment doesn't have much to offer in the way of nearby running trails apart from grey concrete and traffic lights. And I enjoy my time to myself on the treadmill where I can zone out, safely listen to music as loud as I want, and exercise in my warm, comfortable gym instead of dodging drunks and cars. It's great if I can get out once a week in the daylight to a nice outdoor location for my long run, but it doesn't bother me at all that I can't do that on weekdays. The treadmill is a great tool for me and it's helped me go from pretty much a non-runner to a sub 2hr half-marathon in just a few months (in fact, I run faster when I run outdoors now with less effort.)

OP, while what everyone's said is important (get your mileage up etc), I like to do my shorter treadmill workouts on the "hills" setting, which raises and lowers the incline at intervals at a set speed and difficulty (easier = smaller inclines.) My gym's treadmills also has interval settings for sprint intervals, which I try to do once a week as well at 30 to 120 seconds of sprinting followed by a minute or two of brisk walking, repeated 5 - 10 times depending on how long the sprints are. However, I didn't start doing these until I was running 10K at least a couple times a week and running 4-6 times per week total.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited December 2015
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Some people find treadmills convenient/necessary/even a pleasant part of their workout. No need to continually denigrate them with the oh-so-clever "dreadmill" thing. It's lame and it's tired.

I have considerable admiration for anyone who can stand the mind numbing tedium. It takes considerable mental fortitude to fight through the utter boredom.

If it works for you, then that's fine. It's still a dreadmill to me. Roads are bad enough without having to be in the same space as others while I'm trying to get headspace.

Given the options I'll use a turbo trainer rather than a dreadmill.
  • peleroja
    Options

I have considerable admiration for anyone who can stand the mind numbing tedium. It takes considerable mental fortitude to fight through the utter boredom.

If it works for you, then that's fine. It's still a dreadmill to me. Roads are bad enough without having to be in the same space as others while I'm trying to get headspace.

Given the options I'll use a turbo trainer rather than a dreadmill.

I think you're missing that it's boring FOR YOU and not necessarily others. All OP said was that her "cardio routine" was boring, not that she finds the treadmill mind-numbing as you obviously do. I think it's frankly childish to continually refer to an innocent piece of exercise equipment by a silly cutesy name. I mean, if OP had written "I hate the treadmill, it's so boring," then yes, your response would have made more sense, but as it was...you're just scaring anyone who reads this away from a piece of equipment that's enormously helpful for a lot of people in reaching their fitness goals (which I certainly DON'T find boring - I've got my sights set on a 1:45 half in June and I'll get there by any means necessary!)
  • mariamwhatandwhy
    mariamwhatandwhy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill, with music on it's not boring at all actually.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I love walking on the treadmill. I read my Kindle while I do it. I like running intervals on it. I prefer not to do steady state running on it but will if the weather is bad.
  • peleroja
    Options

Then I definitely suggest making use of the hills and speed interval settings on your shorter workouts especially (and also doing 1-2 long, slow runs at a pace where you can comfortably speak.) I find them tremendously helpful.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I found some treadmill interval workouts on pinterest recently. I just searched for "treadmill HIIT" or "treadmill tabata."

...and while it may be mathematically more efficient to run at your highest sustainable HR, I find it easier psychologically to kill it for 20 seconds then rest (or whatever the interval requires). My regular pace is like 5.8 mph, but I run like half of my run at 8.0 or something when I do intervals. I would never willingly go so fast, or even try to run in the upper 6mph range for the duration of my workout. There's more to this than numbers. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think you're missing that it's boring FOR YOU and not necessarily others.

Aren't you the precious one. Getting all butthurt.

Funny actually...

Look back at the post I actually responded to...

You must be a lot of fun on a run ashore

• peleroja
    edited December 2015
    Options

Funny actually...

I'll take that as an indication you've got nothing of value to contribute to the discussion and perhaps reiterate the world "childish" I used before.

After all...

OP, sorry for the digression on your thread. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like more details on the training plans I've been using and adapting them for the treadmill.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited December 2015
    Options

Funny actually...

I'll take that as an indication you've got nothing of value to contribute to the discussion and perhaps reiterate the world "childish" I used before.

Yet you've chosen to flag the post as abusive?

You amuse me more than anything else. Very relevant to some work I've been reading recently on resilience in millenials.

9cb11f8376607f04dbcbf108b31bf7ef.jpg