New to MFP, not new to dieting!

Options
Angellore
Angellore Posts: 519 Member
Hi all

I've just signed up on here after being reccomended by my friends whose lost about 3 stone since the start of the year. I am 32 years old and live near London, England. At the moment I weight around 20 stone (280lbs). I have been following weight watchers on and off for years. I originally went from 23 stone to 12stone 9lbs (I'm 5'10") several years ago, but I regained most of it going back up to 21 stone. I've been playing with gaining and losing the same few lbs for over a year now, so hopefully a change in plan is what I need.

I would love to hear from other members who have a large amount to lose, or who are in the UK and would like some support and friendship.

I was wondering, do you all count the calories in veggies? Being used to them being 'free' on WW I was wondering how you deal with them here. I have set MFP to lose 2lbs a week so I am on 1,580 cals a day. Can you save some cals from one day and eat more on another? The reason I ask is because I do like the occasional take away or meal out.

Looking forward to getting started. I am weighing in officially on wednesday and will go from there. Just off to cancel my WW online membership!

Replies

• rosieef
    rosieef Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm a fellow UK-er, from not too far from Edinburgh. Feel free to add me if you want.

Congratulations on your previous weight loss; you CAN do it again! I have never done weight watchers but to me it gives an air of restriction, you must not eat the bad foods! MFP is more about moderation, balancing, and improving your lifestyle long term. There are people on here who have lost enormous amounts of weight (100lbs plus) and are keeping it off because with the help of the site they've managed to change their lifestyles. I've only been here a fortnight, but I've lost 3lb and I already feel a bit better for it.

I count everything that passes my lips and it really opened my eyes, I had no idea I ate so many biscuits until I logged each one, and doing that really points out to you where you're picking up extra calories. Veg is so low they're nearly free, I think you could eat about 5 huge cucumbers before getting near to a KitKat :wink: If you have the MFP app on a smartphone it gives an option to look at your weekly summary and I try to stick within the weekly limits, if I go over one day I'll account it into the rest of the week. I'm not into denying myself treats on social occasions!!
  • eaglemonster
    eaglemonster Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome to MFP from Bucks,UK. Stick with it and be honest with your diary and the weight does go. Personally I log everything but do fall off the bandwagon far to often. Yet I am still going in the right direction.

Good luck with achieving your goals
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    First, Don't make it a diet. If you diet you are for sure going to gain everything you lose right back as soon as you start eating again. You need to make it a lifestyle change. Try to change you eating habits to include healthy whole foods. Limit processed and fast foods. Watch you sodium. Drink a lot of water. If you exercise, eat the extra calories they give you. Good luck.
  • witchyboots
    witchyboots Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Welcome hun!! I'm so glad you joined. I'm going to add you to my friends list right now :flowerforyou:

No 'free' foods here, sorry! If you eat lots of fruit and veg it won't 'cost' you many calories though, I promise. I had a massive salad with my dinner this afternoon and it was about 130 cals in total so what's that? A packet of crisps worth lol

The only thing I will say is..just be honest with your diary. Even if you go over your limit. It really helps me to log every single thing - some days I will exercise to get back within my limits - which I never did before because I had no bloody clue what I was eating, other times I'll just be really good the day after. I have a naughty day every single week (two last week! Pizza Hut AND KFC :bigsmile: ) and I'm still losing steadily so you'll be fine. I have faith in you!

Talk to you soon :smile: