Hello, could anyone help me with a question regarding exerci

Options
Hi, this is my first ever post, so I hope that I am doing it in the correct way! I'm not a fan of exercise, and the only one that I enjoy is using my step block with 1 kilo hand weights where I step up and down for 40 minutes whilst watching a favourite tv programme.
This usually brings me out in a sweat, but recently I have noticed that I am not sweating much anymore.
Does this mean that I need to do more than 40 minutes because I am used to it for the exercise to be effective?
Also, last week I did this for 6 days in a row. I weighed myself midweek and I had lost 3lbs, but on my weigh in day I had put it all back on even though I hadn't over eaten on my calories. I am wondering if I have to change the way I exercise - does doing this same exercise all the time make me too muscly in the calves and arms and is that why I put on weight?
I should point out that I am at least 6 stones overweight, so I have a lot to loose and I can't feel much muscle, but this is the only exercise that I can motivate myself to do as I enjoy it .
I was so upset that I haven't stuck to my diet and regime for the last 3 days - which is silly, I know.
I would really appreciate your help and advice.
Many thanks x

Replies

• RubyA2011
    RubyA2011 Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi Katie
    Sorry i cant really help answer your question but you say that the step ups are theonly exercise you enjoy and its making you muscly - muscle weighs more than fat so maybe as you have burnt off fat the muscle is adding to the scale!
    I also measure as a more accurate way so seeing that im losing

I have never been a fan of exercise but now i actually dont mind doing it (not quite at the enjoying stage yet!) i try to mix up what i do so i will go on the wii fit or ea active a couple of times a week, brisk walk 5km at least 3 times a week (i try for 5 but only usually manage 3) and ive got a trampette which i go on once or twice a week too.
    Doing different exercises targets different muscle groups.

feel free to add me we can help motivate each other.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    You dont have to sweat to lose weight!! What you do have to do is get your heart rate up to somewhere near the rate for 'fat burn'. If you google cardio fat burn and look at a site that calculates your optimum heart rate for fat burn, you can then choose an excercise that helps you achieve it. It is quite possible you will be able to carry on with the step ups, without the need for the weights, but increase the pace.

However, any excercise that raises your heart rate will burn fat!!

My fat burn heart rate is 135 but my rate at rest is 60!! I have started jogging and run at 5- 6 mph for 45mins to an hour but my heart rate still only gets to 120!!! I have however, lost 40lbs.

Do what you are happy doing and listen to your body, its a marathon not a sprint, we are the tortoises and not the hare's!!!

WE WILL WIN!!!

Feel free to add me if i can be of any more help
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Variety really is the spice of life. And it's crucial to workout routines for losing weight. You need to change it up so your body doesn't get too accustomed to one thing, which it sounds like is what's happening. And just increasing time won't do it.

You don't say how long or even if you've bothered to TRY other exercises. I don't always like everything I do the first time I do it. Heck, I don't even like everything I do even after doing it numerous times. But I know that it's better for me in the long run, so I just say "Suck it up Buttercup" and do it.

Also, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so the same volume of muscle will weigh more than the same volume of fat, but a pound of muscle is the exact same weight as a pound of fat.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Although heart rate and sweating don't always go hand in hand, it's likely that your heart rate isn't as elevated, especially as your body gets used to the new level of fitness.

If you really don't want to vary your workout (which I would recommend) - try to improve your current one. Either step a little faster, or try a heavier weight to get more out of your workout!

Plus, your 3lbs back "on" is very unlikely to be actual weight. It could be food weight (if you ate *heavier* food for example - 1200 calories of sugar is going to weigh a lot less than 1200 calories of salad!), it could be hormonal, it could be water retention, maybe your sodium was a little high, maybe your muscles were retaining water from your workouts - it could be ANYTHING. the trick is to then wait 3 days and weigh again, and then usually all the fake weight is gone, usually with a bit of actual weight with it ;)

Get back on track and try to increase the intensity of your workout a little. But don't go too crazy or you may injure yourself. Good luck!
  • marklynch
    marklynch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    the best form of exercise is exactly what you are doing, roughly 40 mins of cardio which should leave you slighlty breathless, but still able to hold a conversation. the weightloss should occur by manipluation of calories, and by reducing your calorie intake.

sticking to a food plan is very difficult, but you shouldnt be too hard on yourself if you do slip. as long as over the long term you are sticking to your plan, you should see results.
  • katishaw
    katishaw Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies, they are all very helpful. I'll let you know how I get on, and I will try a variety of exercise and still do some of my stepping.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If you really like the stepping, try increasing the step height.