Binge restrict cycle?

So basically I've been eating 1500 calories a day and it always goes well until it doesn't, I always end up bingeing at some point; so then I compensate for it by restricting; which ends with me binging again!!!! I don't know how to break this cycle, I've followed every tip. I eat lean proteins, whole grains and drink lots of water. I stay away from sugar and eat healthy fats. I don't buy any junk, but when I get in my binge phase I literally go to the store and buy all the junk I can; I keep doing this and I don't know how to stop it. I just get this hunger and it results in a binge all the time; HELP!

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Maybe you actually need to slightly more food (it would help if you post your stats), or at least different foods that don't fall into your "healthy" restrict cycle. Many people here have lost weight while still enjoying things that other people binge on, they just eat less and plan it into their diet.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with binging, and people that haven't ever had the issue don't understand how HARD it is to stop or redirect when the urge starts. It's not just a matter of self control.

I started out losing weight by only counting calories when I was 300 lbs, and I was eating 1500 calories a day. Then I moved to only counting calories and eating 1200 calories a day. Then I plateaued and added exercise. Eventually I moved to eating around 1000 calories and working out for around 3 hours a day when I could manage it. I thought, well, if a little exercise is good, more must be better. And if 1200 calories was good, less must be better. On top of that, I was eating very little fat. I was good for about a year, and ended up losing down to around 110. Then, out of nowhere, uncontrollable binges would start. I would go crazy with anything that contained carbs and fat. And then after my binges, I would go crazy again with over restricting and over exercising to "make up" for those binges. I got desperate because I was gaining weight back, and I just couldn't get out of the cycle, so I decided to get help (with the strong urging of several friends).

I ended up seeing a nutritionist that specialized in eating disorders. She taught me several things that were a BIG help. The first thing was that I was sleep deprived because I was getting up at 4 am to work out, but going to bed around midnight (I had just started dating my boyfriend). Being sleep deprived can make you crave carbs. The second was that my body was going crazy craving carbs and fat because I was expending energy like crazy, but never replenishing. I needed to start eating more, and working out less.

It's still hard to find a balance, but as long as I listened to her AND listen to my body, I have very little issues now. The below is what I try to keep in mind, and what I suggest for anyone else having problems:

1) Make sure you get enough sleep
    2) Make sure you are eating enough (especially enough fat)
    3) Don't over exercise, and make sure you eat enough for you level of activity
    4) DON'T try to "make up" for binges.
  • Maybe the problem is that you're not allowing yourself to have the "junk" foods. Maybe if you try having some of the treats you like, in moderation of course, it would stop the binge/restrict cycle. I personally couldn't handle not having any sugar. That would set me up for failure.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Food isn't "junk." It's OK to eat sugar in moderation.

Many people (including myself) find that allowing themselves sensible portions of treats that fit in their calorie budgets is a much more effective dietary strategy than completely cutting out foods that they like.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Eat more on a daily basis, to start.

Are you trying to lose weight? Your profile indicates that you are not, in which case you should be eating more than 1500 calories to maintain, unless you are very short, older, and/or sedentary.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Lots of good suggestions here about what might be lacking in your diet that is driving this impulse.

I'm going to take another approach: did you do this before you began making lifestyle changes? Is there anything going on around you that is stressful? Does anyone close to you eat emotively? Is it possible you're an emotional eater? It sounds like this is happening after you've been going well for a while, do you consider it possible that you are self-sabotaging?

Please don't be offended by my questions. You may answer no to everything and be absolutely right to do so.

I just recognise a pattern in your description that is similar to my own & mine had nothing at all to do with my diet or lifestyle but EVERYTHING to do with triggers, learned behaviour and a lack of self-love. I'm overcoming this now and if it is in anyway the source of your issues, you can too!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    So basically I've been eating 1500 calories a day and it always goes well until it doesn't, I always end up bingeing at some point; so then I compensate for it by restricting; which ends with me binging again!!!! I don't know how to break this cycle, I've followed every tip. I eat lean proteins, whole grains and drink lots of water. I stay away from sugar and eat healthy fats. I don't buy any junk, but when I get in my binge phase I literally go to the store and buy all the junk I can; I keep doing this and I don't know how to stop it. I just get this hunger and it results in a binge all the time; HELP!

What situations do you find trigger your binges?
  • nataliehuller
    nataliehuller Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you all very much; and basically I'm 19 and was 170 pounds at 5'4; I lost weight until I was 112 pounds 112 at pounds is where the binging started, I never had a binging problem before, so it was scary, but ever since dieting I developed a binge restrict cycle; with this cycle I manage to stay at 120 pounds and it flunctuates a lot because of the water weight during my binges, and nothing usually triggers it. It's not me being stressed or anything, I'll just wake up one day, feel hungry, eat one food I deem as bad, and then continue eating until I feel like I need to vomit, and then restrict to make up for it, and then repeat the same cycle. Actually; it's usually before my workout that I end up having a binge. I always want to make sure I'm eating enough to get enough energy to excersise because I've had some very bad workouts in which I'd exercised on an empty stomach, so I'll end up eating a little more, and then upping that and then it will turn into a full out binge then I won't be able to exercise for like 2 days because I'm so bloated and feel like I can't move, and when I'm done being bloated I'll run and run and run until I can't feel my legs (which sucks because I'm focusing on weight training not cardio)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    If I eat foods I deem are bad for me (because I don't like what they do to me, not that they are inherently bad) early in the day, that can set me up to eat poorly for the rest of the day. Now I save these foods for after dinner and that works much better.

What are these problem foods/meals for you?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Given the added information I think that some sort of counseling would be a good idea.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I concur with the suggestion to seek some professional help. Exercising until you can't feel your legs sounds harsh. Arbitrarily restricting foods ("I stay away from sugar...") can set up fierce cravings. Your way of eating and exercising doesn't sound like it's working for you.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Hi there, checking back in I think I may have spotted the similarities correctly. I would advise some counselling.

There is lots of information you can easily access online about building a healthy relationship with food, your body and yourself. You're not alone in this. Plenty of people struggle in a similar way. Here are some tips I wrote out for someone else:

1. Don't (just) treat the symptom, treat the cause. Why do you eat like this? Is it learned behaviour? (In my case it was, my mother ate like that so I ate like that). Is food a reward & the enemy depending on the day? Consider counselling as you don't have to do this alone. Friend me & I'll happily be a soundboard.
    2. Identify your triggers using mindfulness In addition to logging everything keep a diary, written or on your phone with the time it happens. If you want to binge or find yourself buying the big bag of chips, just take a moment to sit in silence and ask yourself: what else is happening around me or in my mind right now? Write this down as the patterns can empower you. The times will also allow you to see if you are putting yourself at risk of a binge by being hungry at a high risk time.
    3. Eat without distractions or rituals Do you enjoy your favourite show with a snack? Do you read the news on your phone while you eat your breakfast? Do you reward good behaviour or achievements with eating? This has to stop in order for you to be mindful as you eat.
    4. Food is fuel: Now I'm not saying, stop enjoying food. Food is amazing. Tastes & textures are wonderful. But what is the primary reason we eat? To fuel our bodies to go about life. When I mentally associate food with comfort, I remind myself of this and it truly helps.
    5. Love & educate thy self: My emotive eating was as a result off 3 things: a learned behaviour (addressed above), a lack of education on portion sizes and nutrition & issues with self-esteem. Grow a hunger for dietary knowledge! In turn, grow your love of yourself. We will never treat our body's as they deserve unless we respect and love them. I have at times kept a journal where I write 2-3 things every day that I like about myself (body or soul), I find walking hqas helped me enormously because it is time I can process my thoughts but is also a time I devote to myself as I deserve it. You deserve love, you have it in you - just release it to yourself & let the healing begin!

I wish you luck and love. I'm here if you want to talk.

Liv
  • bologna111
    bologna111 Posts: 57 Member
    I found the book brain over binge very helpful for my binge eating. You should read it.
    In my opinion the best way to stop the cycle is to stop the restrictions and punishments. If you screw up, forgive yourself and move on. No restricting or over excersizing.
    Let me know what you think of the book if you decide to read it. You can stop the cycle! You are stronger then the binge urges!
  • stoniruca
    stoniruca Posts: 3 Member
    How has this worked for you so far? I've struggled with binging most of my adult life.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    If I can tell I'm about to binge that day I stop and immediately write in a journal about how I feel and why I should not binge. This is the only thing to stop me. Oh and I always make sure to eat enough carbs bc without them I go crazy with binging!
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    I saw a picture of me standing with a group of people....I didn't like the way my body looked and since that day I stopped eating junk food and sugar. Lost 8 lbs! I eat 1200 calories everyday now and planning to lose 25 lbs by next summer. My motivation was my eye opening picture. Find your motivation and it'll help you with the binging. Good luck!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    There are times I binge as if it's my last supper. Basically the way I've ended up dealing with that is that I do end up eating better quality foods....I don't deny myself things really, but I try to do it in a way that doesn't bring it into the house. Meaning, if I want chili con queso, I'll go to Don Pablo's for lunch, and get a child's size of it and have my 8 chips. I also increased my protein and fiber and water intake LOTS.

The other REALLY big help has been the activity monitor. I have a fitbit. It shows me how many calories I've burned and syncs with MFP to show how many I've eaten. That way, if I've burned 2100 that day, and I've only eaten 1600 calories, then I have room. I can have a protein bar for 100 calories, or a snack bag of pretzels for 120, or 2 light cheese sticks for 100 calories. THen I don't have to feel guilty over having a little more to eat because it's still going to be under the amount of calories I burned.

It's all about having the information at hand for me. Knowing the numbers has kept me from feeling guilty over such things.