Apple Watch and MFP App Active Calories

Options
Question - How do you all log your exercise on this app if you have an apple watch? The watch shows me the 43 minutes of activity and it shows the 405 calories burned. The MFP app only shows about 300 calories burned. Why the difference? I add the calories burned anyway to MFP and then it seems to either add it up or reduce it and I can't figure out the right way to log it to make sure I'm counting my exercise calories correctly. Help?

Replies

• ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I ignore the calories on my Activity app on the watch and go with what MFP says. Apple Watch is synced to MFP via Apple Health App on my phone: Activity App and Workout App sync to Appley Health and Healthsyncs up with MFP. In the picture you can see both my steps from the Activity app and my Spin calories from the Workout App. I eat back about 1/2 to 3/4 of the calories burned. I am set to "Sedentary" on MFP
    b50hfi6rdeg2.jpg
  • ebertus
    ebertus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jenathp wrote: »
    Question - How do you all log your exercise on this app if you have an apple watch? The watch shows me the 43 minutes of activity and it shows the 405 calories burned. The MFP app only shows about 300 calories burned. Why the difference? I add the calories burned anyway to MFP and then it seems to either add it up or reduce it and I can't figure out the right way to log it to make sure I'm counting my exercise calories correctly. Help?

I have the same issue and tried the same things, to no avail. it's a really annoying behavior, especially when the activity is something like cycling, where there should be no "steps" MFP needs to avoid double-counting.

I wish there was a way to stop MFP from making these adjustments if you don't want them. I'd much rather go by Apple's active calorie count.
  • jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @ebouchie I can't figure out how to get the Workouts to sync to MFP....how did you do it? It looks like everything is supposed to sync but all I get are the MFP calories and not workouts...
  • ebouchie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @jenathp Workouts does not directly sync with MFP. It syncs with the Apple Health app which then syncs with MFP. Go to your Apple Health app and click on "sources". Then click on MFP. Then scroll to where you "Allow MFP to read data". Then scroll all the way to the bottom and make sure that Workouts is selected green. oecikn174r5j.png
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    jenathp wrote: »

I have a Apple Watch. When your done with workout check the workout calories. The Apple Watch put together the calories you move before starting your work out
  • ebouchie
    Options
    The Workout app tracks total calories and active calories. Only active calories are sent to MFP. Total calories includes both the "burn" calories plus what you burned if you had not worked out. If you are not syncing the Apple Health app with MFP be sure that you are only manually logging the Active calories and not the a Total calories. Otherwise you will overestimate your burn.
  • motbits
    motbits Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have my Apple Watch sync to the health data and MGP double counts it from my phone and watch. How can I turn the work out sync from phone off but still have the watch info sync to MFP?