Weight Loss Motivation for People with ADD/ADHD

Options
CocoMSU
CocoMSU Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2015 in Motivation and Support
I probably had/have ADD to start with but found ways to cope with it in high school...then I had a car accident, broke my odontoid process, and I felt right back in my "Hey, squirrel!", "Go right, I mean left, no, I mean right," "Big hand, little hand, they look too similar...how can you tell time without a digital clock?" elementary days. At least in ele. I had t-ball and 4H. I do have a farm now, and that helps, but when my routine is changed=SNAFU!

Lists help. MyFitnessPal REALLY helps! Meticulously logging everything is a great reminder. I just hit my 30 day log streak and went from 264 to 254.4. So, yay, MyFitnessPal!

But does anyone else have any tips/suggestions? I'm hoping ADD/ADHD or TBI parents might have had similar experiences to my own and have some sage advice.

When I have a small herd of animals to take care of (I'm comparing this to parenting), and a garden to tend to, it really helps keep me on task. The motivation to get farm chores out of the way reminds me of the inside chores that need to be done (laundry, floors, windows, etc.). But a big break in my routine will mess me up for months and I'll put on twenty pounds (forty if I just lost twenty) and I just don't remember the other things that need to get done.

I assume my dopamine levels were being sufficiently boosted when the farm was running smoothly, because I felt great. My doctor suggested putting me back on the ADHD/antidepressant drug I was on after my accident, but I don't like the side effects. I did see that "get medicated!" was one of the top tips on an ADHD weight loss tip list...but, if I can remember to do everything (instead of getting side tracked on the internet, or catching up on trade paperbacks, or listening to the radio, or squirrels) I think moving is medication enough.

I realize that if I'm not busy, "Hey, squirrel!" also works with "Hey, ice cream!" and "Hey, chips!". And living with someone on a different routine makes things difficult. I'll get home and my significant other will ask if I've eaten yet, and I'll say "No" when I have, but it doesn't come to mind (very reminiscent of "Do you have any homework to do?", "No"). Since I'm not hungry after exercising, and think I'm hungry when I'm not, I'm pretty sure it's my body trying to self-medicate...so...I know...drugs...but I would REALLY rather not.

Side topics: Things that go missing when routine is thrown versus, things FOUND when back on track.

Glasses...man, I miss these glasses:
1pvt6qbg9jew.jpg

Replies