Protein powders and bars

Options
HollyMarie0595
HollyMarie0595 Posts: 28 Member
Hey all! I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good protein powder. I know there's all kinds like whey and soy but I don't understand the differences. I'm basically looking for protein powder that's high in protein, low in carbs and fats (low in $$) that I can use in smoothies and protein bars for post-workout snacks. Also if anyone has a good protein bar recipe with or without the powder that would be great as well!

Replies

• dixiecup19
    dixiecup19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love Iso-100. Best tasting protein I've had.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I have only tried one, but Target's Market Pantry brand vanilla is decent. I caught it on sale and it was less than $20. I add either PB2 powder (powdered peanut butter) or unsweetened cocoa and splenda. With the vanilla base I can pick my favor. Hope you find one you like! Here is a review I found with a quick google search. http://www.sixpacksmackdown.com/2012/07/26/marke-pantry-target-brand-protein-powder-review/
  • veca13
    veca13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.nutritionexpress.com/fitness+labs+wheyfit+isolate+strawberry+swirl+5+pounds.aspx

This is the one that i use. It cost little more but its the best thing ever. I take my protein with soy milk and sometime that is my breakfast or my dinner if i workout after work. The 5 pounds protein lasts me two months so its worth it for sure.
  • bradpelfreyadvocare
    Options
    https://msnutritionist.1stphorm.com/ The chocolate peanut butter and strawberry are really good and the cinnamon toast crunch is amazing.

• symafiza
    symafiza Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good protein powder. I know there's all kinds like whey and soy but I don't understand the differences. I'm basically looking for protein powder that's high in protein, low in carbs and fats (low in $$) that I can use in smoothies and protein bars for post-workout snacks. Also if anyone has a good protein bar recipe with or without the powder that would be great as well!

PhD diet whey. High in protein. Very low carbs and fat. Lots of flavours. Totally worth it!
  • HollyMarie0595
    HollyMarie0595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, so many to choose from, Thanks guys! I'll have to test them all out!
  • conquertheself
    conquertheself Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Kaizen whey isolate protein is pretty good and so affordable!
  • hrios2009
    hrios2009 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

• HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use the USN Whey Protein Plus in strawberry, tastes like melted ice cream.

22g Protein / 2g carbs / 3g of fat

It was the cheapest on the shelves too. If I convert it to $$ it would be around $33

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=USN+whey+protein+plus&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjj786bo7_JAhXCuBQKHaypAVAQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=6slmgNmSnTbJ7M:
  • ttomasovich
    ttomasovich Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nutrition Express Whey Fit is what I use.
  • adriennemarieb
    adriennemarieb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    G6. I LOVE it and it is the cleanest one I have found.

http://www.gnc.com/G6-Sports-Super-Lean-Vanilla/product.jsp?productId=34403896
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am very sensitive to that added protein taste usually found in shakes, bars etc (i guess mostly soy protein-yuck). I recently have bought Isopure unflavored whey protein to add to my smoothies etc. It is great with no added flavor, just protein. I would say there is a bit of gritty/rough mouthfeel from it though. But no awkward flavors.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If you have no digestion or moral issues with milk, you're probably best off looking at whey protein powders over soy - there's more varieties and they tend to be cheaper than soy based ones.

Things you'd generally want to look at are
    1. Taste - if you're going to gag it down and not use it, why buy it?
    2. Nutrition - some have more or less fat or carbs that go along with the protein. If it tastes great but most of the calories are actually just sugar, why are you paying for a protein powder.
    3. Cost - I usually look at things as cost per gram of protein. Some protein powders have 1 serving as only 10 grams of protein, others have a single serving as 3 scoops that add up to 60 grams. This can skew the perception of price if you're look at cost per serving instead of per gram of protein
    4. Quality - if you've never used a brand, it is worth doing a little Googling and looking around. Many store brands have issues with them - evidence that they're adding non-protein material that makes the powder look like it has more protein when tested, or in some of the worst cases, evidence that there are unacceptable levels of chemicals like lead.
  • maddi_r95
    maddi_r95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use TwinLabs creamy vanilla whey fuel protein powder.It taste pretty good. It taste better when added to food like oatmeal or yogurt. its 120 calories for 21 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbs, and 2 grams of fat