Dieting

Options
So I know that dieting isn't really good for you! If you think about, you're eating less, and not getting enough nutrients into your body. The more you excercise, you could be losing too many of your important nutrients. I think that changing WHAT you eat and WHAT you do when you work out will help instead of the plan B, eating less and working out more. But that's my opinion. What do you think??

Replies

• PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's both, in order to lose weight you must eat less calories than you use but yes, eating 1500 calories of cake is far different from eating 1500 calories of fruits, veggies, proteins, and carbs in that you can get the vitamins and minerals you need to survive with one and not the other. There's also a difference between eating less than your maintenance calories and eating less than your BMR, eating les than maintenance is fine, but your BMR is the amount of calories you need to function, which is why my nutritionist doesn't (and other nutritionists/dieticians don't) recommend going below BMR.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How has it worked for you?
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    So I know that dieting isn't really good for you! If you think about, you're eating less, and not getting enough nutrients into your body. The more you excercise, you could be losing too many of your important nutrients. I think that changing WHAT you eat and WHAT you do when you work out will help instead of the plan B, eating less and working out more. But that's my opinion. What do you think??

I don't know about you, but I eat more vegetables now than I ever did. I also drink ten times the amount of water. I'm stronger due to strength training and my cardiovascular system is healthy.

Weight loss isn't unhealthy, what's unhealthy is carrying all that excess weight.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I think that as you diet on lower calories, you should focus on eating nutrient rich foods to make sure that you're still giving your body what it needs to function properly. After that, it becomes an equation of energy balance. You can certainly lose weight and still be providing your body with proper nutrition.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eating in a deficit does not mean getting insufficient nutrients. Nutrient-wise, my focus is on getting a base amount of protein and fat each day. Everything I eat up beyond that can come from carbs or more protein or more dietary fat (eating more fat) or from my body's fat stores.

Outside of the above, many (possibly a majority) of people who are trying to lose weight do change what they eat, or at least the proportions of what they eat (i.e., less "junk" food and more "healthy" food.) It's also extremely common to start being more active.

It's not really a matter of choosing one particular way to go about losing weight. Successful weight loss can depend on a multitude of factors, many of which change over time and throughout the process as well as during maintenance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether you do it right or not. It is more than possible to hit nutritional requirements at fewer calories that enable you to also lose excess weight

Despite what HAES try to say - being overweight is not the optimum healthy state for a human to be in.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    There's no need to deprive yourself of nutrients while in a calorie deficit, eating the 'right' foods wont do anything to help you lose fat if you aren't in a calorie deficit.