Losing weight but feeling constantly bloated

Options
Since starting MFP, I have lost 18lbs but lately I've constantly been feeling bloated/fat.. Would this have something to do sodium or water intake?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How have you changed what you eat? Added any new foods? It could be a reaction to something you're eating.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How have you changed what you eat? Added any new foods? It could be a reaction to something you're eating.

My diet always chops and changes slightly but this past week/fortnight the bloating has stayed. It's got me feeling more insecure.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I am the queen of bloat. I find that I only look lean for about a week and a half out of every month. I DO eat high volume, and a stupid amount of salt. Have you added much to you diet lately? A lot of dairy or sodium?
  • KT_3009
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I am the queen of bloat. I find that I only look lean for about a week and a half out of every month. I DO eat high volume, and a stupid amount of salt. Have you added much to you diet lately? A lot of dairy or sodium?

I probably go over my sodium 1-2 times a week but even then my bloating would go down within a day or two.. I don't typically eat a lot of dairy but my carbs frequently go up and down.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »

I probably go over my sodium 1-2 times a week but even then my bloating would go down within a day or two.. I don't typically eat a lot of dairy but my carbs frequently go up and down.

If you have some very high carb days you could be retaining water too.

Are you in a healthy weight range now? I think I've alway bloated but since I've gotten thinner it is just much more noticeable.
  • KT_3009
    Options

Are you in a healthy weight range now? I think I've alway bloated but since I've gotten thinner it is just much more noticeable.

I'm still slightly over the normal BMI, but the last time I lost weight I did get bloated a lot easier. It could be from going off medication as well.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Some people (myself included) experience bloating and water retention from eating certain grains. I primarily avoid wheat gluten and soy due to known sensitivity, but lately am thinking of eliminating other grains as well.

If you notice an increase in the bloat after an increase in carbs, perhaps reducing wheat or other grains might be a consideration?
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Might be a shot in the dark but:
    Maybe you could get yourself checked for gluten intolerance? (Shows up in blood tests.)
    I discovered that too many grains can make me feel uncomfortably bloated.
  • TracyBEstes
    TracyBEstes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Agree with avoiding gluten. I like to mix it up with grains. Never the same one in a row. Try: spelt, almond, garbonzo, sorghum, and more.

Also consider dairy intake?

I also try to avoid too much corn. Especially corn tortilla chips. Even without salt, they make me feel bloated and uncomfortable.

Good luck:)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I'm still slightly over the normal BMI, but the last time I lost weight I did get bloated a lot easier. It could be from going off medication as well.

What medication are you going off?
  • KT_3009
    Options
    I stopped taking one lot of antidepressants because I was prescribed a different type. That was around a week to ten days ago. I'm currently on just Zoloft now until my next check up
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Can't Zoloft cause water retention?
  • KT_3009
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Can't Zoloft cause water retention?

I've been on Zoloft before and didn't have any bloating except for the initial first day. So I'm confused to know if it is just a medication side effect this time around
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Could be
  • glow_worm_eyes
    glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Anything sugar free gives me the bloats and the farts. It doesn't seem with the lesser calories...