Breastfeeding

Options
So, I'm a breastfeeding mom and I'm supposed to eat 500 calories more than normal, even with the goal of losing weight. How do I increase my caloric goal? My fitness pal won't let me customize my calorie goal. Anyone have experience with this?

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    You can log it as a food. Look in the database for breastfeeding ... there's a bunch of entries, and they give you "negative" calories. (Just remember to fill most of those calories with nutrient dense foods and a good balance of macros, your baby needs that :smile: )

Or you can set MFP to maintain and not log the breastfeeding at all. That will give you *about* 1 pound a week loss, in theory.

There are a good number of moms who struggle to lose weight for the first 6-12 months of breastfeeding (myself included). I don't know what all causes it, probably adherence issues, but be aware that it doesn't always make the weight fall off. Also, 500 calories is the average for exclusively breastfeeding, but it may be different from day to day and based on your baby.

(From mom of 5, EBF 4 of them, youngest is still going at 13 months. Feel free to contact me if you have any BF questions at all!!)
  • amiec91699
    amiec91699 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you mathjulz!! That's super helpful!!
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can increase your calorie goal in the app, it's just under nutrition goals. Easy peezy lemon squeezy :)
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I just log it as exercise. 500 calories is still working for me with a 9.5 month old!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I just set my goal to maintain so the extra calories from breastfeeding created my deficit. 500 calories is about the same as a 1 lb a week goal.

The negative calorie food feature stopped working on my app last January. I made MFP aware of it but they haven't fixed it yet (iPhone). It works on the website for me.

Eta - when I sate yes introducing foods to changed my goal to 1/2 a lb a week so about a 250 deficit. Assuming nursing was using about 300 (since he was nursing less) still left me at around 1 lb a week.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You can also set your own calorie goal by choosing custom goals on the goal screen.