Thoughts on "Aquaholics"

Options
My sister has decided in her unqualified position that I am an aquaholic!
I do drink between 5-6ltrs a day, but i had believed it was because I was thirsty! She's making me question myself now!
What do you guys think?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as an aquaholic. It sounds like your sister just wants a reason to be bossy and superior. However, 5-6 liters is a lot and if you're drinking it because you're thirsty (and it is a fairly new thing) the first thing I'd ask is if there's a chance that you are diabetic (excessive thirst being a common symptom of it). If that's not the issue, and you're just a thirsty chick, tell your sister to piss off - as nicely, or as bluntly as you prefer.

Personal anecdote: I drink upwards of a gallon (4-5L most days) of fluids daily in the winter and in summer frequently polish off closer to 2 gallons/8L in a day. I get regular blood work which is always perfect, so my doctor says it's fine.
  • lucylinc
    lucylinc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've drunk this much for as long as I can remember, even more on exercise days. In fact, I drink probably 4.ltrs between the hours of 8.30-3 (at work) and then the rest in the afternoon/evening.
    I have been tested for diabetes, but no, I am not diabetic.
    What about the reduction of sodium in me? is this not the case?
    http://www.womenshealthmag.co.uk/health/symptom-checker/2507/health-problems-drinking-too-much-water-daily/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    There's no such thing as an aquaholic. It sounds like your sister just wants a reason to be bossy and superior. However, 5-6 liters is a lot and if you're drinking it because you're thirsty (and it is a fairly new thing) the first thing I'd ask is if there's a chance that you are diabetic (excessive thirst being a common symptom of it). If that's not the issue, and you're just a thirsty chick, tell your sister to piss off - as nicely, or as bluntly as you prefer.

Personal anecdote: I drink upwards of a gallon (4-5L most days) of fluids daily in the winter and in summer frequently polish off closer to 2 gallons/8L in a day. I get regular blood work which is always perfect, so my doctor says it's fine.

This ↑↑↑

There is a point where people can drink too much water, but it is really hard to get there. If you have had blood work and you are not diabetic and your electrolytes are all in the normal range, don't worry about it. Some need more water, some just have the habit of constantly drinking (not a bad habit to have), and some use it as an alternative to putting food or a cigarette in their mouth.

Tell your sister to bug off.

I am a 2-3 liter a day person in addition to my tea and coffee.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Someone has been reading the Daily Mail.

If you do feel it is excessive (6 litres is on the higher end), it can be related to either diabetes, dry mouth sensation or other renal function issues. In that case - talk to your doctor. Probably not an issue but neither your sister nor the people on the boards can determine this.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    lucylinc wrote: »
    I've drunk this much for as long as I can remember, even more on exercise days. In fact, I drink probably 4.ltrs between the hours of 8.30-3 (at work) and then the rest in the afternoon/evening.
    I have been tested for diabetes, but no, I am not diabetic.
    What about the reduction of sodium in me? is this not the case?
    http://www.womenshealthmag.co.uk/health/symptom-checker/2507/health-problems-drinking-too-much-water-daily/

Like I mentioned in my previous post, have blood work to test electrolytes. Next time you see your doctor, ask to have a metabolic panel done, which tests for electrolytes (including sodium). If they come out in the normal range you are NOT drinking too much.
  • lucylinc
    lucylinc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your input.
    my sister has the best of intentions to be fair. unfortunately this is the day and age we will live in, you can google a situation, find a name for it and bam, you think you have an problem!!
    I am not diabetic, so I will not fret over it too much!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking when you're thirsty I don't think it's a bad thing, and it's not so much that you're at risk of drinking dangerous amounts. I used to drink a LOT of water and cut back because I was often drinking water just to drink it and then started getting used to that and was constantly running to the bathroom, which is annoying. Now I just follow my thirst and usually drink between 14-18 cups a day (probably about 4ish liters), depending how much I worked out that day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Must mean frequent urination as that's like three times or more the normal amount.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Someone with extreme thirst should talk to a doctor about being tested for diabetes. Only you know if your thirst is extreme, some people simply drink more than others.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    Options
    lucylinc wrote: »
    My sister has decided in her unqualified position that I am an aquaholic!
    I do drink between 5-6ltrs a day, but i had believed it was because I was thirsty! She's making me question myself now!
    What do you guys think?

Are you on any medications that have dry mouth/increased thirst as a side effect?