New guy looking to lose, and winning at the same time!!

Options
Started to diet about a month ago! I am overweight, and used to be a heavy smoker. I knew that I had to stop smoking it was really killing me. So on 08/08/2008 I decided to become a non smoker and have been that way since then. Yee pee, I am free of the evil weed. But in the mean time I did actually gain a great deal of weigth. I was around 170 lbs when I smoked and had peaked at 248 lbs. not teribble unless you are 5" 6' inches tall. I now need to lose weight and my goal is to be 170 lbs again which is 78 lbs, I have already lost 12 lbs., the first 10 lbs was easy now it is coming off at a much slower rate but I am patient. I will keeping writing on the message boards and I would love to hear your stories and support each of you for some support from you.

Fat in NH.:happy:

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quiting smoking. If you can do that losing weight will be a breeze. Good luck and continued success.
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! I live in Maine! Feel free to add me if you wish!
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    request sent. :smile:
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I quit smoking 7 months ago and gained some weight too- about 15 pounds which I am trying to lose now. I have never in my life had to try to lose weight but it is much harder nowadays. So, I am in this with you - if you need support or a friend just holler!!
  • Ellenv
    Ellenv Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey new guy - good job being a quitter :) and good luck with this next phase - If you want a MFPal that checks in on you and offers support, add me.
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Welcome...and just remember to start everyday with your goal in mind and a plan...do your food diary, keep positive and you will be AMAZED at how well you do here.

60 days passed in a heartbeat for me. As you say...be patient it takes time but it is so worth it!

congrats on what you have done so far!:happy:
  • fenix1976
    fenix1976 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome well done for giving up smoking! I'm still a smoker :( I find I only puff away when I'm bored or hungry . I trying to cut down every week by 2 .

Good luck ! You wil find lots of support here
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You have made to postive, life changing decisions! I am very proud of you!!!!! Congratulations on being smoke free for almost 3 years! I hope you ahve as much success in your weight loss journey! Just remember, both are life style changes. You have to focus on that vs just focusing on losing weight. If you can quit smoking, you can lose the weight and get healthier!!!!!!!
    Add me as a friend if you'd like!