Who works out before work?

Options
Looking to get back on track after slacking severely. My only real option is to work out before I go to my office job due to how late I tend to work at night and then have to drive an hour home. Typically, I would just go to the gym after work, and be done with it, but with me not getting off work till late, and then the drive home, I wouldn't be able to see my children. So, going before work appears to be my only option for the time being. My question is, how do you all handle the shower situation once your done at the gym and head to work? By this, I mean, do ya'll do a full body wash, and then another when you get home from work?(Is this healthy for our body?) Or, should I not wash my hair twice a day?(Just do a body wash after gym?) I know this may seem like a dumb question but I keep getting confusing information when I search this online. LOL. Just looking to get a feel for how most ppl do it.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Looking to get back on track after slacking severely. My only real option is to work out before I go to my office job due to how late I tend to work at night and then have to drive an hour home. Typically, I would just go to the gym after work, and be done with it, but with me not getting off work till late, and then the drive home, I wouldn't be able to see my children. So, going before work appears to be my only option for the time being. My question is, how do you all handle the shower situation once your done at the gym and head to work? By this, I mean, do ya'll do a full body wash, and then another when you get home from work?(Is this healthy for our body?) Or, should I not wash my hair twice a day?(Just do a body wash after gym?) I know this may seem like a dumb question but I keep getting confusing information when I search this online. LOL. Just looking to get a feel for how most ppl do it.

I workout before work. Most days it is at home but one day at the gym. I take a normal full shower. I wash my hair like normal. Now, I wash my hair with conditioner most days anyway so that's less drying than shampoo. But if I needed to take another shower later in the day I'd probably just skip the hair washing part because I always need to wet it in the morning. If your avi is recent, it looks like your hair is pretty short. I'd probably skip the shampoo later in the day, assuming you aren't super dirty (not sure what kind of work you do.)
  • afdrmom
    afdrmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dirty job and need to shower at night? If so- take two showers. If not, don't. If you don't have super greasy hair, you only need to wash when it's dirty. And sweat isn't dirty. I'm a female with long hair and I wash my hair two to three times a week- usually after swimming to get the chlorine out. If you need to wash every day because of dirt, use a gentle shampoo. Otherwise, you can just rinse the sweat out.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I do this, I run a few miles in the morning before work. Instead of using my regular soaps, I just use a gentle baby soap so that my skin doesn't dry out too much. Then at night I shower like usual.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do all my 'Gym' work in the am 4-5, in the office by 6:15, coach in the evenings, and do all my swimming at night. Makes the weeks go by FAST!
  • buckmaster299
    buckmaster299 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do office work, but it just depends on the day as to how dirty I manage to get. Sometimes I have to get out of the clean office and go do stuff onsite. I think I'll try a combo between the baby soap thing and not taking that 2nd hair washing and see what happens. Thank you all for the input. :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I workout during my lunch break some days. I usually shower then because I get extra sweaty when I run. If I do, I won't wash my hair that night. I use a dry shampoo (Loreal, Dove, or Tresemme brand) to keep my hair from being too oily. I've found that washing my hair twice a day dried it out like crazy. But really, it's personal preference.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:00 am daily to workout. It's easy for me since I only have to go into my basement.
  • buckmaster299
    Options
    Thanks calygrl, I may look into something like that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I typically wash my hair in the morning, so if I workout in the morning (which I often do), I wash it after the workout. I don't wash it again at night unless I swim.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I drop my daughter off at school, head to the gym, then to work. I'll shower after workout, and also in the evening. I don't do anything special -- I have naturally oily skin anyhow, so washing hair (such as it is) and such twice doesn't cause an any issues. If you have dry skin, then I could see just doing a quick rinse in the shower after working out to knock off the stink rather than soaping down.
  • tiffanyfoundit
    tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I workout and shower and everything before I go to work every morning.
    Its easiest for me to get it out of the way. It is way too easy to make excuses after being at work all day to not exercise.
    It it makes a difference, I only workout and such at home cause I live in the middle of no where and don't have access to a gym
  • xquiickx
    xquiickx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have to be at work by 0730 but it's nearly a 45 min drive in. I usually get up in the morning at 0400 and make it to the gym around 0445. I don't think I could ever stay motivated enough to workout after work. Besides, the gym is more free in the morning and you don't have to fight over equipment
  • buckmaster299
    Options
    xquiickx wrote: »
    I have to be at work by 0730 but it's nearly a 45 min drive in. I usually get up in the morning at 0400 and make it to the gym around 0445. I don't think I could ever stay motivated enough to workout after work. Besides, the gym is more free in the morning and you don't have to fight over equipment

Nearly the exact reasons I am looking at going BEFORE work instead of after like I used to do. LOL
  • xquiickx
    Options
    xquiickx wrote: »

Nearly the exact reasons I am looking at going BEFORE work instead of after like I used to do. LOL

Haha exactly bro. It's tough starting out when you see how early it is, but once you get in the swing of things, you'll be fine. I wake up, eat something small real quick to fuel up, and take my pre-workout with me on my drive to the gym to help wake me up. You gotta' start somewhere, why not when you first open your eyes!

Oh, and as far as the shower thing...I shower full body (with hair) at the gym just like I would have at home.
  • buckmaster299
    Options
    Yeah, my goal is to eat some cereal, and then take off. I live almost an hour from work and there is 3 gyms that I can hit up OTW to work, so that should give me plenty of time for that to settle and then hit the thing hard. I just gotta track me down some shower shoes, and something to help make me smell good after the burn. LOL. I am going to find me a good preworkout once I get in the swing of things. I have to be careful how close to workout I eat. Last time i ate too close and hit it hard, I nearly puked. HAHAHA
  • xquiickx
    Options
    Yeah, I did that when I jumped right into Insanity once. I was laying by the toilet after vomiting for almost a half hour. Just ease into it. First get used to getting up early and going to the gym. Then start slow and build up. No sense in killing yourself to the point you don't want to return the next day!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I work out at 6AM M-F. Best part it is done for the day off my mind. It keeps me motivated to make healthier choices during the day. I am not perfect but, this does help.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I do the gym before work. I shower there head to work and don't worry about it the rest of the day. My job isn't sedentary, but its indoors so I'm not sweating like mad throughout the day.

During the summer if I cycle after work I'll shower a second time. My skin doesn't dry out during the summer. lol

Two showers a day in the winter would dry me out badly.

I see you have gyms on the way to work, that's PERFECT. My gym is on my way to work (well, like a 2 minute jog out of the way) and it just makes things so simple.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4am. shower every other day, washcloth clean up other days. I use moisturizing bodywash and shampoo and lotion as needed
  • jeromeloresco05
    jeromeloresco05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    up at 3:45 and ready to workout at 4am. I have a pull up bar and dumbbells at my garage or go for a run. And if i have a chance to head home early i do a quick 2 mile run in the evening. Then again I live in Hawaii no winter season here.