I get bored when walking...

Options
I walk my dog as my primary form of exercise. We both love being outside, even though it's been in the 20s in the morning here in Massachusetts!

My biggest problem is that I get bored and will cut the walks short. Any suggestions for ways to keep myself entertained while walking? Music doesn't do it-it's not enough to make me want to keep going.

I use MapMyWalk to keep me motivated as I log my distance and I use my Fitbit to keep me motivated as I log my steps. It's really just a boredom issue.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you listened to any podcasts instead of music? There are tons of them on all sorts of subjects. Or audiobooks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks. Mysteries especially.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Podcasts are great for walking. Browse around to find some that interest you, there's something for everyone. The Half Size Me podcast has great weight loss inspiration, and I love Freakonomics for something different. Thinking about trying one to learn to speak Italian or German next.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks. There is a free ap from the library and lots of books to choose from. Sometimes I want to head out just so I can start listening to the book. I've listened to lots of books that I may not have read. In fact I'll be heading out soon with my newest download.
  • melachey
    melachey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is there an app you guys like for audiobooks? What about podcasts?

Thanks!
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The ap I use for audiobooks is called Overdrive. I learned about it from our local library then sign in using my library card number. I know there are lots of other aps, but mine is free.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I now just use the podcast app that comes with the iPhone. Overcast and Downcast are also excellent choices.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I like to listen to music while I walk. Also walking in different places helps prevent boredom.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get bored while walking too so I will schedule a phone call with family or a friend (since I moved out of state, I have a long list of people to choose from that I don't see regularly). Time flies by when you're having a good conversation! And I use my headphones so I keep my hands free.
  • jemhh
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A lot of podcasts can be streamed directly from the shows' websites. That's what I normally do. Some of my favorite podcasts are: The Tobolowsky Files, Freakonomics, This American Life, Travel With Rick Steves.

LibriVox has a ton of classics in audio form.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Don't use the same route. Change up where you go and even plan a walk with a purpose. It there a friend you can stop by and say "hi"? Is there a dog park close by where you can walk the dog, then let him run? Can you walk to your bank or grocery (assuming there is a safe place to tie up the dog outside)?
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Audiobooks + Ingress does it for me. Gives me places to specifically walk to for a reason and entertains me along the way :)https://www.ingress.com/
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I plan my week in MFP and do my online shopping

I call my parents on the phone
  • jemhh
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    I plan my week in MFP and do my online shopping

I call my parents on the phone

Are you walking around outside while doing the MFP/shopping work? I wouldn't be able to keep up much of a pace doing that.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Audiobooks are the best! And/or one of those "zombies" or other game-related walking apps.
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    Options
    Think about how much fun your dog is having! He/She will appreciate the longer walks, no doubt!

You could also take a friend/family member if you need somebody to talk to on them? My girlfriend used to get her butt kicked out of bed and come walking with the dog and me for 3-4 miles most mornings back when he was a younger pup
  • melachey
    melachey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree that phone calls are great so my mom always gets a call when I'm walking the beast. I walk her a lot of places where she can be off leash to explore and that allows me to keep a more constant pace and both my hands free to use the phone.

I text a lot while walking. Or look up stuff on the Internet. I love walking with other people but I don't frequently have friends available to walk when I do.

I will definitely check out some of the things mentioned. The dog loves the outside time (and so do I). I just need to amp it up a bit. Winter hasn't kicked in fully here yet so I still have time for normal walks. Winter poses its own challenges!

Thanks for all the input. I love this!
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I walked my dog initially to lose 60 lbs. First 30 mins a day, then an hr , then 2. And I can totally relate, got boring fast. I found listening to music helped. You could also try HITT. Go to the park with bowzer, jog with him...then throw a ball and chase after him...then walk...then repeat. Lately, I found going to the gym and watching old episodes of Bonanza while I'm stair stepping or jogging helps.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Podcasts are available in just about any subject that would appeal to you. I enjoy financial primarily and some specialized hobby ones secondarily.

Music has never appealed to me, a podcast keeps my mind busy and is educational while being entertained.
  • xquiickx
    xquiickx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to vary your routes? I know that when I walk my dogs, talking different routes peaks my interest more than doing the standard "around the block"