High protein diet recommendations?

Options
Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I was last on here. Due to a huge, recent lifestyle change I've lost about 20 lbs since I was last here. About 159lbs to 140lbs give or take a pound.

Since I've come this far I would like to lose another 5-10 lbs and make it to 130-135. My husband has also lost a ton of weight (almost 50 lbs) and we have been eating a very high protein diet aside from loading up on carbs on Saturdays OR Sunday's (free day)

Now I'm here to more accurately see how much my protein intake really is and track my macros which will be my main strategy to this weight loss and somewhat count calories to avoid over eating.

My questions:

What is a good macro ratio for maximum weight loss?
Right now my setting are:
50% protein
30% fat
20% carbs

What whey powders do you recommend?
Aiming for something with at least 80% protein for a meal replacement for breakfast only. (We don't eat breakfast but need a high protein start to the day)

Any weight loss supplements to recommend?
We've been using Xenadrine for a couple months now and we love it and it works great but we're open to try new ones to see if there's something better.

Thank you for any advice/recommendations in advance!

Also, as a perspective for anyone trying to give advice I am:
21 y/o
5'2"
138-140lbs
24-25% body fat

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'd advise basing your macro intake on grams, not on a percentage.

For example as a 140 lb woman looking to cut a bit of weight, I'd recommend somewhere around .7-.8 grams of protein per pound of weight per day (so somewhere around 98-112 grams per day)

Fat should be around 0.3-0.35 grams per pound per day (42-49g)

And the rest of your calories can be whatever you want - carbs, fat or protein.

I don't know what %s those would come out to be, but I doubt it would be anywhere near 50% protein - there's really no need to go that high.
  • ChelseaRideout
    ChelseaRideout Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't think about that.
    With my 50/30/20 ratio it's comes to be:

Protein 174g
    Fat 46g
    Carbs 70g

So your definitely right on the protein being too high, but I don't wanna replace it with carbs or fat so would the extra protein do harm if I were still hungry?
    Also, I think if I just kept my fat and carbs in check and filled the rest in with protein that I wouldn't actually end up eating that much protein because I would be so full... Which would, at the same time, probably cut back my overall daily caloric intake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Chelsea! What an adorable baby!

I'm curious - if you take your high carb days and average them into your high protein days, what do you come up with for average macros? It would be easier for me to shoot for the same macros throughout the week rather than go up and down. (That's just me - if what you're doing works for you, great! I'm just curious.)

For protein powder, I am currently using Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural, which has no carbs. The Vanilla version does have carbs. Mom has the vanilla and it tastes more artificial to me. This is the least artificial tasting of whey protein powders that I have tried.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    So your definitely right on the protein being too high, but I don't wanna replace it with carbs or fat so would the extra protein do harm if I were still hungry?

May I ask...why?

I mean...ultimately with the gram breakdown you posted above, you'd be fine...you're meeting the minimums of protein and fat, so I guess there's nothing inherently wrong with it. But protein does tend to be the most expensive macro, and going THAT far over the minimum is not going to really benefit you, so it just seems a waste to me.
  • MrsMES10
    MrsMES10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Why avoid fat? It's an energy source (alternative to carbs) and incredibly satiating. It is possible to overdo protein (an excess of which converts to glucose in your system). Avocado, nut butter, coconut oil, grassfed butter ... all good options! I have similar protein and carb goals as yours but almost double the fat goal. I calculated my macros on iifym.com. Losing steadily!
  • ChelseaRideout
    Options
    The biggest reason is rather have a protein as opposed to something higher in fat or carbs is to keep me fuller longer. Although more protein would be more calories, I'd eat less rather than a high fat/carb food and eat less often, which I think would cut back my calories in the long run.
  • ChelseaRideout
    Options
    MrsMES10 wrote: »
    Why avoid fat? It's an energy source (alternative to carbs) and incredibly satiating. It is possible to overdo protein (an excess of which converts to glucose in your system). Avocado, nut butter, coconut oil, grassfed butter ... all good options! I have similar protein and carb goals as yours but almost double the fat goal. I calculated my macros on iifym.com. Losing steadily!

Thanks for the site! I will definitely check it out. That's why I'm here: to get a better understanding and to see what I should and shouldn't do to reach my goals. I guess I'm afraid of under doing it and I compensate by trying to over do it lol
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    The biggest reason is rather have a protein as opposed to something higher in fat or carbs is to keep me fuller longer. Although more protein would be more calories, I'd eat less rather than a high fat/carb food and eat less often, which I think would cut back my calories in the long run.

Fair enough I think that's a perfectly valid answer.

In the end, find what works for you, and is sustainable long term.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've done a high-protein, very low-carb, low-fat, low-calorie diet called a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF). It targets fat while maintaining muscle. It's extreme and intended to be used only short-term. It's difficult for many people, and it's not recommended for women who are pregnant or nursing, which I assume you might be. At some point in the future, try Googling it, look at the Reddit group, and go to Lyle McDonald's Body Recomposition site.
  • VanessaLynn214
    VanessaLynn214 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi ChelseaRidout ~
    Welcome back! I myself just came back after a long hiatus. I really need to track my food and workouts again :smile: Congrats on your weight loss, that's awesome!
    As far as protein...What about a shake? You can replace one meal, (I usually replace breakfast) any meal any time of the day that’s convenient for your schedule. It's CLINICALLY PROVEN to help people lose weight, increase energy, and provide you with nutrients that your body isn't getting right now, and tastes like a dessert but is more like a SUPERFOOD salad to your body :smile:
    I love it!!! It curves my cravings for sweets and keeps me full when I need to be. I even drink it for dinner too when I don't feel like cooking :wink:
    Is this something that would interest you?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

fat makes you feel full longer. protein may up your insulin response, which will make you feel hungry.
  • MrsMES10
    Options
    lodro wrote: »

fat makes you feel full longer. protein may up your insulin response, which will make you feel hungry.

True! Fat makes you feel full and can actually reduce calorie intake overall. There were many days when I was on a hardcore keto plan where it was a struggle to break the 1300 calorie mark.
  • ChelseaRideout
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I'll be researching each of your suggestions to see what works best for me. I really appreciate the help!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

For you...not everyone. Please stop propagating this blanket statement as the truth.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

True! Fat makes you feel full and can actually reduce calorie intake overall. There were many days when I was on a hardcore keto plan where it was a struggle to break the 1300 calorie mark.

People vary on this. Protein makes me feel fuller on fewer calories, but fat is completely useless in that regard. I am hungrier on more fat than I am on a low fat diet. (Most of the carbs I eat are whole grains or whole foods like vegetables and fruit or potatoes/sweet potatoes, and for me they are FAR more filling than fat.) Edit: I don't do low fat because I like many foods with fat, but if I was after being satiated on low calories low fat actually does work well for me, so long as I have protein too.

I wish people would accept that not everyone has the exact same reaction they do.

Anyway, OP, my only concern about your reasons for the higher protein is that lower calories is not always better. You should pick a calorie goal that makes sense (not simply the lowest goal you can possibly manage for a while) and then eat in a way that allows you to feel good and satisfied when meeting that goal. Mine are based on grams per bodyweight as juggernaut outlined above, and I feel good that way, although there's no harm for most people in eating a little extra protein if you feel good and enjoy eating that way.
  • c613477
    c613477 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't think about that.
    With my 50/30/20 ratio it's comes to be:

Protein 174g
    Fat 46g
    Carbs 70g

Also, I think if I just kept my fat and carbs in check and filled the rest in with protein that I wouldn't actually end up eating that much protein because I would be so full... Which would, at the same time, probably cut back my overall daily caloric intake.

The only issue I personally had with very high protein percentage ( and mine was about 4O%) was kidney issues. I ended up with back to back stones and even lower kidney function temporarily as one blocked part of the flow. I was told by the doctors to decrease my protein level. I am much more cautious now. By the way I never had kidney problems in 38 years prior to this change in diet. But I might be more sensitive to it than others? Just an FYI.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    That is too much protein unless you are lifting heavy. .7-.8 seems right. Have to drink a lot of water.
  • MrsMES10
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

People vary on this. Protein makes me feel fuller on fewer calories, but fat is completely useless in that regard. I am hungrier on more fat than I am on a low fat diet. (Most of the carbs I eat are whole grains or whole foods like vegetables and fruit or potatoes/sweet potatoes, and for me they are FAR more filling than fat.) Edit: I don't do low fat because I like many foods with fat, but if I was after being satiated on low calories low fat actually does work well for me, so long as I have protein too.

I wish people would accept that not everyone has the exact same reaction they do.

Anyway, OP, my only concern about your reasons for the higher protein is that lower calories is not always better. You should pick a calorie goal that makes sense (not simply the lowest goal you can possibly manage for a while) and then eat in a way that allows you to feel good and satisfied when meeting that goal. Mine are based on grams per bodyweight as juggernaut outlined above, and I feel good that way, although there's no harm for most people in eating a little extra protein if you feel good and enjoy eating that way.

Apologies if I was unclear or came across as spouting a blanket statement. I was speaking to my personal experience and a general "you." My experience is not universal, I know that. Biodiverisity is weird like that.

My point was moreso this: try it and see. It can't hurt to experiment with macros to see what supports your health and weightloss goals, whatever that might be. And also, don't be afraid of fat, since it has a place in a healthy diet.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Over 35% of calories as protein us usually seen as excessive.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I think your macro percentages/grams look good.
    I found that using a food scale and exactly measuring my intake/logging diligently was super helpful....it allowed me to tweak and discover the perfect combination of diet and exercise to lose weight. I lost 2lbs a week for 3 months consistently. I also lost .7% bodyfat every week.
    I ate 45-50% of my calories in fat. High protein (about 115g for me), low carb (49g NET CARBS).
    I found that measuring and eating 1lb of (non-starchy) veggies daily was the winning element to my fat loss.

High fiber was key! 35-45g daily.

Question for you, how did you calculate your current bodyfat %? It seems to me that you are already at a good bodyfat percent, unless you are not using a very reliable measuring method.

The amount of calories you eat daily naturally falls into place when you meet your macro goals, IMO! If you exercise more than a moderate amount, you'll need to add a little more calories.

Have you taken your body measurments....particularly your waist and hips?