Thoughts on chilli

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I'm a new convert to Field Roast products. (Thank you, @janejellyroll ) I used their Italian sausage in my last pot of chili and -- what a hit. So delicious. They have a website. The sausage (which is meatless) is not very caloric, and very tasty. Otherwise my chili ingredients are onions, garlic, peppers, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, spices and beans.

They should start paying me a commission! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 buffalo/stout chili sounds amazing.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I think I have five different chili variations in my freezer now. I also go beanless and use zucchini and other vegetables to bulk them up (husband can't eat beans). I don't think I've ever made one that was more than 250 calories for 1.5 cups. We love it all different ways!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I make mine with beef stew meat rather than ground beef and no beans. I also use low sodium beef stock concentrate, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, celery, bell peppers. Very hearty and ~364 calories for a 2 cup serving (calories vary a little depending on the exact weights of the fresh ingredients in each batch)
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, chilli! We make two different variations in our home sometimes using lean beef mince, sometimes lean turkey mince.

If you don't want to drop your portion size for this particular meal, have you thought about doing some extra exercise for that day to compensate?

I agree though that if you are using a generic Chilli recipe from MFP it may count higher than the meal you are actually preparing so definitely give the recipe builder a go and avoid jars/tins/packet mixes and make from scratch if possible as it'll taste even better and there's no risk of hidden sugars, fats etc.

Good luck! :)
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you go meatless, try Gardien's meatless crumble. It's amazingly similar to ground meat as long as you don't over cook it. It's also loaded with protein!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1 - everything should be eaten in appropriate portions for whatever your goals are
    2 - how are you arriving at those calories? did you use the recipe builder or enter all of your ingredients individually or are you using a generic entry for chilli in the database? if it's a generic entry, who knows what they used ingredient wise...how much was used...what if any oil was added, etc.
    3 - personally i wouldn't go meatless because meat for me is part of what makes a chilli a good chilli...i personally use 96% ground beef in mine; it's not something i'd use for making burgers as they would be too dry, but it's fine in things like chilli and meat sauces. the fattier the meat you use, the more calories there will be.
    4 - keep in mind that beans, while very healthy, are also calorie dense.
    5 - if you add cheese, this is also going to up the calories...i used to douse mine with cheese until i figured out that a mere ounce was adding quite a few calories...i've since learned that a sprinkle is enough and i actually get to taste the chilli, not just cheese.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'll take this opportunity to drop a Cincinnati Chili recipe here. It has a lot of the standard chili ingredients, but also includes unsweetened chocolate and some sweet spices. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/206953/authentic-cincinnati-chili/
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My chilli is always meatless, I will use different styles of beans to give color and variety in what Im looking at! Mine ends up being in the 400cals per serving range when I make it. So it can certainly work, super customizable, make it fit your goals!

Damn now I want to make chili for dinner....
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @cwolfman13 , for the cheese reminder. We have a chili ritual here that definitely adds calories... first Fritos go into the bowl, then chili, then cheddar cheese, then sour cream, then green onions.

These extras are not grossly piled on, and they (of course) are counted in the calorie total. But without them, my chili experience just isn't what it *could* be. :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Lean ground turkey- As lean as you can buy. It's all covered in the delicious chili anyway!

I find this takes my chili down to about 440 for two cups.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I use canned tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, 90/10 beef and dark red kidney beans (+ chili powder and 1-2 packets of chili seasoning) depending on the ratios I use, a 1 cup serving is between 150-250 cals. Note I add water to thin it out as well. It doesn't sound great, but its amazing. With cheese, crackers and low fat sour cream I can have a decent meal for about 400 cals.
  • nan7864
    nan7864 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I replace the beans with chopped zucchini. I have a business that caters Paleo meals and my Paleo Chili is a top seller.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    nan7864 wrote: »
    I replace the beans with chopped zucchini. I have a business that caters Paleo meals and my Paleo Chili is a top seller.

That's a good idea. I'll try this next time.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

my SIL made a buffalo/stout chili that was wonderful. buffalo is a lean meat

It's getting late here. I read that as buffalo/TROUT chili. (Ew!)

• Jerzaka
    Jerzaka Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely go 90/10 and if possible, rinse the meat in a colander. You'd be surprised how much that helps! I've used ground turkey and it's okay. NOT great either. LOVE chili!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What about going meatless?

Not a bad way to go. White chili with a chicken base is also excellent.

• buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Quorn and lots of coarse chopped veggies, and plenty of spice makes a great chilli, sometimes I will do it with turkey mince, but honestly quorn tastes just as good!
  • olsogo
    olsogo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would use 1/2 the chili and mix with a big bowl of spaghetti squash. The squash takes on the flavor of the chili and has alot less calories.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I eat A LOT of chili. When I'm cutting, I keep the calories lower by bulking it up with steamed broccoli and cauliflower.