High protein diet recommendations?

2»

Replies

• ChelseaRideout
    ChelseaRideout Posts: 25 Member
    I have to agree with lemurcat12. I know you guys didn't mean any harm regarding "fat fills you up". I'm sure it is true for most but as for myself; protein tops anything for filling me up! I could eat a big bowl of buttered noodles (carbs and fat) and immediately be hungry 30 minutes later as opposed to about 4-6 ounces of chicken breast and be satisfied for about 3-4 hours.
  • ChelseaRideout
    [/quote] The only issue I personally had with very high protein percentage ( and mine was about 4O%) was kidney issues. I ended up with back to back stones and even lower kidney function temporarily as one blocked part of the flow. I was told by the doctors to decrease my protein level. I am much more cautious now. By the way I never had kidney problems in 38 years prior to this change in diet. But I might be more sensitive to it than others? Just an FYI.[/quote]

My percentages for carbs and fat of my daily caloric intake derive from a grams per body weight calculation (140lbs x .33 = fat (g); 140lbs x .5 = carbs (g)) it leaves me with a large number for grams of protein but I know I'll never be able to meet that. I just meet and carbs and fat and eat protein to my fill. Probably around 105-112g per day.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    105-112g protein for your size is probably about right, anyway. Don't be afraid of fat cals! Especially nuts, avo, olive and coconut oil, ghee or butter, salmon.
  • BWFit16
    BWFit16 Posts: 22 Member
    For me personally, the 40% protein/40% carbs/20% fats seemed to work best. Macro splits vary person to person based on activity, intake, goals, etc. so this is a mere alternative option based on personal experience and feedback from others with the same split. Enjoy!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Sounds like you know what you are doing. Great information in this thread. I always go with what makes me feel more full. Optimum Nutrition is great for whey. Great flavors. Love it in my cereal in the mornings. Xenadrine is really a waste of money. Cheaper just to drink espresso/coffee/tea after each meal/preworkout if you want that feeling.
  • ChelseaRideout
    Sounds like you know what you are doing. Great information in this thread. I always go with what makes me feel more full. Optimum Nutrition is great for whey. Great flavors. Love it in my cereal in the mornings. Xenadrine is really a waste of money. Cheaper just to drink espresso/coffee/tea after each meal/preworkout if you want that feeling.

I thought about getting ON, but comparing them side by side, the GNC Amp is exactly the same accept lower sodium and a few bucks cheaper. Less flavor options, but anything with a chocolate flavor is good for me! Haha I have yet to buy anything and have done a lot of research trying to find the highest protein content for the best price. Also looking for quality protein isolates instead of concentrates. ON and gnc Amp are both top on my list.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    I love ON for the flavors. :) Rocky Road is my fave. I personally think lean chicken, beef and eggs are the best quality proteins. Supplements are there when you need a filler.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    MrsMES10 wrote: »
    And also, don't be afraid of fat, since it has a place in a healthy diet.

I agree with this, but I'd say the same about carbs.
  • Salazmic
    Salazmic Posts: 3 Member
    I have to 2nd Lemurcat's statement - for me anyway, carbs were the key to dropping weight and increasing my lifts come gym time. I tried the low-carb thing... Not for me, I'm currently on the 40/40/20 and sitting right around 9% and maintaining.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    BodyTech has the same formula as ON and was made by ON until recently. It costs a lot less.

I upped my carbs and feel tons better. I can't say I notice more energy but it seems like I'm not as scatterbrained. I have no idea if that has anything to do with increasing my carb intake but both happened at about the same time.
  • Salazmic
    Salazmic Posts: 3 Member
    Many companies are known for over/underestimating contents even according to their own label. While the label for GNC amp and ON appear similar I'd put more faith in ON as a product. Take a look at labdoor.com for more detailed analysis - I stumbled onto the app about a year ago and regularly reference it :)
    GNC AMP - https://labdoor.com/review/gnc-pro-performance-amp-whey VS ON https://labdoor.com/review/optimum-gold-natural-whey
  • ChelseaRideout
    Salazmic wrote: »
    Many companies are known for over/underestimating contents even according to their own label. While the label for GNC amp and ON appear similar I'd put more faith in ON as a product. Take a look at labdoor.com for more detailed analysis - I stumbled onto the app about a year ago and regularly reference it :)
    GNC AMP - https://labdoor.com/review/gnc-pro-performance-amp-whey VS ON https://labdoor.com/review/optimum-gold-natural-whey

I've been on that site before! Very good one.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I just hit my protein for the day

See?

u1bbh2kii4g4.jpg

Ask me what on, go on :bigsmile:

(Sorry saw the title and it seemed relevant, probably isn't)
  • Sued0nim
    It was a sourdough pizza :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    If you're looking to just eat in large quantities of protein for the purpose of creating satiety, I'd say the most bang for your buck would be bulk buying vital wheat gluten, TVP, or soy grits. I wouldn't get all my protein from Vital Wheat Gluten because of the lack of some amino acids though.
    All 3 comes with fiber which is the next most satiating thing for most people following protein, and is usually more satiating on a per calorie basis. They'll also be a solid compared to whey protein, which as a liquid isn't going to be as satiating as eating a solid protein - part of the reason whey and milk entered bodybuilding was that hard gainers could get more protein in that way compared to eating meat without satiety stopping them.
    Protein level seems kind of high to me, and almost certainly past the point of nutritional advantage, but you've said it is for appetite. Then again, not knowing you're free day, maybe you're ratio is looks rather different when you average it out over a week.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Your macros look about right as they fall within the recommended guidelines. You should not be cutting carbs if you are very active as you need them for energy. My sports dietitian recommended musashi High Protein powder for recovery after a workout.
  • Sued0nim
    DiIDE wrote: »
    Your macros look about right as they fall within the recommended guidelines. You should not be cutting carbs if you are very active as you need them for energy. My sports dietitian recommended musashi High Protein powder for recovery after a workout.

You don't need carbs ...you may like them ...I do ...they work for me

And protein timing is irrelevant
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    PSMF diets are VLC diets and should be done under a doctor's supervision. It's against the MFP terms of service to advocate or discuss VLCD.