Fish oil .... blech.

Options
Since childhood, I've always been repulsed by seafood. I've read all the article that it's fantastic for your health, but <*GAG*> I just can't get it down.

So one of my neighbors (the one I envy most because he's built like a greek statue and can always outrun me) swears that fish oil tablets are a key ingredient to his glowing health. They look harmless enough, little gel tablets like golden marbles. But when I took a whiff of the bottle - UGH - it was like a smack of low tide!

So I've read that you're supposed to balance your 6's and 9's with these magical 3's. But I don't really understand it. My neighbor tried to explain, but honestly, I don't think he really understands it either. I think he's just assuming that our modern fat ratio is way off our primeval norm, and taking these fish supplements is supposed to bring it back into harmony. But to what end? I've felt pretty healthy with nary a bite of seafood in my 45 years, but my mind is open.

Does anyone have a fish oil testimony they'd like to share? Something like: I can perform calculations much quicker after supplementation, or my joints move easier and ache less after supplementation? Rather than ambiguous historical fat ratios, I'd love to hear from someone who's felt concrete improvements in their health after using fish oil. Thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When on a deficit I use flaxseed oil. Similar benefits to fish oil without the taste. It helps my joints significantly.
  • version50
    version50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That sounds much more palatable. Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Although I'm not sure what you mean by 'deficit'?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    runlean wrote: »
    That sounds much more palatable. Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Although I'm not sure what you mean by 'deficit'?

You're trying to lose 12 pounds, correct? A deficit means you are eating less calories than your body burns in order to lose weight. That means you are purposefully depriving your body of a little bit of energy to encourage it to burn fat. A calorie deficit.
  • version50
    Options
    Gotcha, thanks again for the advice. I'm going to use it.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is a scam anyway.

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I take the smallest fish oil pills. You can purchase them in tiny round pills. And no fish burps or bad flavor.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Seconding flax, I add ground flax seeds to my smoothies and food and it's similar to fish oil
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I find ground flaxseed tastes fishy, too. Not a bad thing because I love seafood but putting ground flax in oats makes my stomach turn. It's probably just me.

I second the flax oil.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    When on a deficit I use flaxseed oil. Similar benefits to fish oil without the taste. It helps my joints significantly.

Yep. Flaxseed oil capsules are my go-to as well. Because fish is yucky.

ETA: Although I use it mostly to counteract PMS symptoms, and I doubt that is an issue for you. :D
  • version50
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »

This is an excellent website. Thank you! (although I'll probably waste the rest of the afternoon on it, but maybe I'll learn something about combating my PMS.)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    runlean wrote: »
    ksuh999 wrote: »

This is an excellent website. Thank you! (although I'll probably waste the rest of the afternoon on it, but maybe I'll learn something about combating my PMS.)

:p
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I take vegan DHA, it's sourced from algae. It is in capsules, I don't notice any after-taste or odor -- fishy or otherwise. I have not noticed any change to my health or mental state since taking it, but I'm persuaded by current research suggesting that it is something we should try to get in our diet.
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I recently switched up my Omega/Fish oils due to the "Belching fish breath" side effect of most supplements. I switched to Progressive brands on word of mouth from another buddy that lives off supplements (he is a part time body builder, full time fireman) and we were having a conversation about cheap pills and better then normal brands.

This is what we use with no fish belch side effect:

https://www.progressivenutritional.com/products/omegessential-forte-softgels/
  • version50
    Options
    M3ltD0Vvn wrote: »

Fish burps? Gives me the gags just thinking about it, so thanks for the info. Have you noticed any palpable improvements from taking them? Stronger, smarter, less achy after workouts?
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    Options
    To be honest - as a former athlete - I am at the point I do not put much stock into supplements with a couple exceptions. Creatine and certain thermogenic products. The main reason I still take supplements is pure habit. OCD habit.

That being said - I do a decent amount of research on what we as humans /should/ take. OMEGA3 oil is high on the "must be healthy" list. It is not easy to dispute the lack of heart disease of people of Inuit or Asian decent that live in places where fish is the staple.

The down side, is our human body is not built to process supplements as fast as we would like them to do. I can take 1000iu of an omega, you can take 100iu, and regardless our body only utlizes less then 1% of it and urinates the rest out. Supplements is literally "pissing money away".

So... is it worth it to me to spend $35 for a 3 month supply of an OMEGA supplement that may or may not be giving me less then 1% in returns. Sure, why not. Call it mental health. Sometime the returns in mental health are all it takes for someone like me to work out for that day. "Dang, took my pills already... might as well follow through and work out.."

Creatine - I do not recommend to anyone unless you are already in shape and do high intensity work out/sports. In my experience with creatine (about 30 years of experience) I found creatine works for that extra push. I used to do downhill mountain biking, and there was this spot I would burn out about 3 miles in and have to take a break. My experience with Creatine showed promise that instead of the 3 mile mark, I could go to the 3.3 mile mark before blow out. It is hard to explain the potential of creatine. So many people hear the wrong thing when I talk about creatine. "Goes farther? Stronger!? I must need it!" Nooooo. Its power is only realized with people at peak performance - someone giving 120% looking to hit 120.1%. Even though on this weight loss journey, we are all giving 120% to lose weight, there is a difference between an out of shape person giving it their all, and say an NFL quarterback giving his all. Bottom line, dont use Creatine until your in shape, looking to break down that wall. Major downsides to Creatine are you need massive water uptake, and along with water comes cramping.

Thermogenics. A touchy topic. So so SOOOO many bad ones out there. I do use fat burners. Up in Canada they are WAY different then what I used to be able to get in the States (I'm from California, but live in Edmonton, Canada now). Again, most thermogenic products you are just peeing away. Some are basicly pill forms of energy drinks. And some do work - things with capsaicin are where I lean towards. If your sitting at a stop light in your car and sweating, its working. Down sides - especially with the bad ones - can and will be kidney issues. Random pains and always needing to pee as your kidney and liver process the massive amounts of "junk" your pushing through it.

Bottom line for anything supplement related is that if you are eating proper square meals you can eat anything that needs to be supplemented. Massive amounts of greens solves 90% of a humans daily needs. The rest is easy. If your going to take supplements, liquid forms are digested faster and more efficiently by the body - but still the major portion of it goes down the drain.

\m/
  • usmcmp
    Options
    M3ltD0Vvn wrote: »
    Creatine - I do not recommend to anyone unless you are already in shape and do high intensity work out/sports. In my experience with creatine (about 30 years of experience) I found creatine works for that extra push. I used to do downhill mountain biking, and there was this spot I would burn out about 3 miles in and have to take a break. My experience with Creatine showed promise that instead of the 3 mile mark, I could go to the 3.3 mile mark before blow out. It is hard to explain the potential of creatine. So many people hear the wrong thing when I talk about creatine. "Goes farther? Stronger!? I must need it!" Nooooo. Its power is only realized with people at peak performance - someone giving 120% looking to hit 120.1%. Even though on this weight loss journey, we are all giving 120% to lose weight, there is a difference between an out of shape person giving it their all, and say an NFL quarterback giving his all. Bottom line, dont use Creatine until your in shape, looking to break down that wall. Major downsides to Creatine are you need massive water uptake, and along with water comes cramping.

I think you should look into the research on creatine and mental health. Creatine has shown to significantly improve signs of depression. Due to creatine being naturally found in meat there are almost no negative side effects compared to antidepressants. If a person is taking 2-6 grams of creatine per day (a typical effective dose for 99% of people) there's no need to massively increase water. Studies have shown no cramping associated with creatine intake, even in dehydrated athletes. Creatine is the most studied supplement on the market and can be used by non-lifters, beginning lifters and advanced lifters.
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    Options
    For myself, increased thirst and dryness of synus seems to go hand in hand with intake of creatine. The cramping I have I would call water cramping, and again, usually only happens when I am cycling creatine and feel more thirsty then normal. Rather then lift from a study, I can only relate to my own experiences.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @runlean welcome to MFP forums.

After 20 years of taking fish oil I have moved to krill oil because one does not have to take as much and it has another feature or two. Fish oil has been good to me. You can Google Krill Oil if interested.

I would suggest you seriously look at fish oil or Krill oil.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I take vegan DHA, it's sourced from algae. It is in capsules, I don't notice any after-taste or odor -- fishy or otherwise. I have not noticed any change to my health or mental state since taking it, but I'm persuaded by current research suggesting that it is something we should try to get in our diet.

I take this too for the same reason, not noticed any after-taste at all, apparently the algae is grown specifically for the purpose so is a pure source of DHA (not harvested from the sea, possibly risking contamination).