Diabetics type 1 question!!

Options
Hi all am a type one diabetic how do u manage the calories u have when u have a hypo, I tend to not record the calories as I think my body is using it straight away just wondered what others did??

Replies

• brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I add them in my diary. Overeating for hypos is what causes a lot of diabetics to gain weight.
  • davieshall
    davieshall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Interesting to know It's so easy though isn't it when your getting out if that shaky stage to not just keep eating and just wait
  • ReginaOSU
    ReginaOSU Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am checking my sugar a little more often. This helps because I am more likely to go low as I am using my insulin more efficiently with exercise... and because I do not want be forced to eat before what I had planned.

As far as for weight loss... Yes you absolutely need to log and count those calories.

Your goal should be to avoid swings in glucose. Make sure you know how many carbs your dr/ diabetic nurse educator wants you to treat an episode of hypoglycemia. Over treating is common and can lead to your sugar swinging high... and starts a low-high cycle.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The whole point of logging is so that you can understand your body's patterns.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    The whole point of logging is so that you can understand your body's patterns.
    With type 1 diabetics there is often to no rhyme or reason or "patterns". Blood sugar can fluctuate with moods, stress, foods, oncoming sickness, hormonal changes, a scratch they could becoming infected and a hundred other different reasons.

OP I'm not type one but my 18 year old and has been for last 16 years. He's also on MFP and has successfully lost 50 lbs. I don't know if you have someone to help keep you accountable but he asked me and my husband to remind him when he's low to stop eating after he has had his 15-20 carbs. He also cannot focus or really comprehend eating past the "I need food I'm low" thoughts and emotions that he is feeling in the moment of being low. All he can think is I want to stop feeling like this so FOOD!. So maybe if there is someone you can count on to help?

You can do it. It may take a little extra managing and more thought out planning than others without type 1 but you can do it. Also, don't beat yourself up of you go over calories because of needing to compensate for lows. When your BG is better then maybe fit in some exercise to kind of offset it a little.

Good luck :)
  • davieshall
    davieshall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yea I don't have hypos often, I do carbohydrate count but have a quote physical job so dependant on what I'm doing that day I find this is when I get them, I've gone with lucozade the past couple of times as I can really eat that but it gives me enough to get out of hypo, my only thought was that overeating for a hypo is not why I have gained weight, overeating in general is so ill see how I get on and make a decision from there, but thanks for the thoughts :)