One year of logging, weights, and practicing moderation....Long!

Options
AbsoluteTara79
AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
edited December 2015 in Success Stories
I have fought with an extra 20 pounds virtually my whole adult life. (I’m 36). In high school I was very active and had no need to learn how to eat a healthy diet (weight-wise).

Since my 20’s I have done low-fat, low-carb, unsustainable amounts of exercise, clean-eating, vegetarianism, and calorie-counting. I have always understood the thermodynamics of weight-loss. I just thought I needed to find the right “trick” to make it sustainable.

But I had never attempted practicing moderation until this last year. I wrongfully decided that my personality was a barrier to such approach. I would say things like, “I’m an all-or-nothing person when it comes to chocolate”. I viewed my black or white thinking as a trait like having blue eyes, versus thinking of moderation as a SKILL that can be learned.

Backing up…

On December 1st of 2014, I was ordering my son’s 1st birthday cake and it dawned on me that my self-imposed “1 year post baby grace period for diet/exercise” expired. Why did I have a grace period? At this time I still believed losing weight was a horrible period of stress, pure will, and deprivation and I just didn’t want to deal with it at the same time as caring for an infant, a toddler, managing a full-time career, trying to find time for my husband and I, let alone enjoying a few minutes for my own hobbies. Well, babies do get a little easier after the first year, but it’s not like all those responsibilities go away!

I started exercising and tracking in MFP the next day. And I started reading the forums….a lot. I noticed a couple themes of “heavy lifting” and “ice cream” repeated often. I have always liked both of these things, so I read more.

These two threads became the basis for my next steps:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

**Props to these individuals - @SideSteel and @usmcmp for sharing their information and doing it in a way that is above board as far as forum-antics go.

By the end of December I joined a small gym and the owner high-fived me on the tour when I told him I was there for weights and not cardio. I figured I could work in a 45-minute Stronglifts workout 3 times a week after my kids had went to bed. I needed simple and efficient given my time constraints. I did cardio on off-days at home.

I set my calories to between 1700-1800 and aimed to hit 100g of protein. It required deliberate effort and planning to hit the protein goal the first couple months. It became second nature.

I bought individual portions of ice cream and ate them almost daily, working them into my calorie goals. This was hard. It sucked so much a** to control portions and I was left sad staring at the bottom of this tiny carton. I often questioned if I would always feel that way and I mourned eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. But I would repeat to myself “trust the process” inspired by the threads mentioned above.

My successes:

At 5’5 I went from 166 to my current weight of 143 in about 6 months. I have held steady for the last 6 months. This is the LONGEST I have ever maintained a weight loss. I was wearing a tight size 12 and am now a size 6 with 4’s getting close.

I started lifting with just the bar. I lift way more now and I’m just getting started. The confidence I’ve gained from weight lifting has crept into other areas of my life. “Progressive overload” applies to a lot more than just the barbell.

That sad little miniature carton of ice cream isn’t so sad anymore. It is awesome to know that I can still enjoy foods that I love. Previously, indulging in something “bad” meant a lot of angst and probably a spiral off my “diet” for days, weeks, or months. It is empowering to make this sort of progress. Again, there is a lot of life / career / relationship benefits in the skill of seeing the middle ground.

Exercising is a legitimate habit for me now. I no longer worry about vacations, illnesses or work travel disrupting my streak and taking me off track. I just know that I’ll pick right up where I left off if my schedule gets complicated. I just go to the gym – I don’t think about it or talk myself into it. Alarm goes off, I get up. And I enjoy it.

This next year will be about getting stronger, continuing to improve my diet by adding in more fruits/veggies, and hopefully losing the last vanity pounds.

And I know that no success thread is complete without pics so here ya go. I honestly feel like this is the least of the changes I’ve made when I reflect back. I also took swimsuit pictures every month that show my losses better (that I will not be showing), and you should do the same – for yourself.

Size 12/14 on the left, size 6 on the right.

beforeafter.jpg

If you made it this far, feel free to ask me anything.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! I'm glad you outlined some of the changes you made and how they became natural. Thank you for the shout-out as well! Always happy if something I said can help others find a reasonable solution to improve their life! Keep up the great work!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    latest?cb=20120804013518
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,931 Member
    Options
    Inspirational! Thank you for posting!!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    How about that?! Great work young lady and great story!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Amazing results. Congratulations on your success!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your success and for discovering the middle ground! :)
  • blue_eyes1978
    blue_eyes1978 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! Im In a size 12/14... 5'9 and weigh in now at 176 now! So I l"ll use your success story to motivate me!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Need to get the camera ready so I have some pics to look back on!! :) I have already dropped 30 this year but nothing really other than toning and pulling everything in. hope to see more muscle showing through soon. I have a little muffin top not like the whole muffin pouring out of the pan like it was when I first started. I wish I would have took a pic I have a few but thank god my clothes are on LMAO!! ( I wish I have a big caboose) :blush:

CONGRATS to YOU!!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    Options
    Awesome job!! Im In a size 12/14... 5'9 and weigh in now at 176 now! So I l"ll use your success story to motivate me!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Need to get the camera ready so I have some pics to look back on!! :) I have already dropped 30 this year but nothing really other than toning and pulling everything in. hope to see more muscle showing through soon. I have a little muffin top not like the whole muffin pouring out of the pan like it was when I first started. I wish I would have took a pic I have a few but thank god my clothes are on LMAO!! ( I wish I have a big caboose) :blush:

CONGRATS to YOU!!

Seriously take the pictures with little clothing! I would never show my bikini ones on the internet no matter how good I looked. But they are so helpful to have just for yourself, especially on a bad day to see how far you've come.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing your story! I'm glad you outlined some of the changes you made and how they became natural. Thank you for the shout-out as well! Always happy if something I said can help others find a reasonable solution to improve their life! Keep up the great work!

Thank you!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! It sounds like we have had similar journeys. Moderation for the win o:)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I am so you! Just not so far along in the process. 5X5's three time a week for 45 minutes fitting in my schedule and ice cream (stupid little Ben & Jerry's single serve cups!). This is awesome! It's like you showed me a picture of my future!

You look fabulous, Tara! Congrats!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!
    I have a hard time getting 100g of protein in everyday. I do not like protein drinks. However, I can tolerate some protein bars. I also eat eggs, yogurt, turkey jerky and chicken (no red meat). What do you typically eat per day?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress and so nice to see someone who did it without being miserable. Enjoy your next year of getting stronger and eating more ice cream!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    Options
    I am so you! Just not so far along in the process. 5X5's three time a week for 45 minutes fitting in my schedule and ice cream (stupid little Ben & Jerry's single serve cups!). This is awesome! It's like you showed me a picture of my future!

You look fabulous, Tara! Congrats!

Yes! Those stupid little Ben & Jerry's - Haha. I graduated to where I can buy a half gallon and trust myself to weight out a serving now. :)
  • AbsoluteTara79
    edited December 2015
    Options
    agbmom556 wrote: »
    You look awesome!
    I have a hard time getting 100g of protein in everyday. I do not like protein drinks. However, I can tolerate some protein bars. I also eat eggs, yogurt, turkey jerky and chicken (no red meat). What do you typically eat per day?

I just opened my diary if you want to take a look. I rarely drink protein shakes and eat red meat maybe a couple times a week. I have used a lot of quest bars, but I can hit 100g without them pretty easily and am trying to reduce my reliance on them.

Some of my staples:

- Cottage cheese on an english muffin or toast.
    - Almost any 4 oz serving of lean meat will get you at least 20g - chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.
    - Eggs (use 1-2 whole and throw in whites if you need the protein but can't spare that many calories),
    - Protein powder pancakes / mixed in with oatmeal
    - Greek yogurt - I will often get plain yogurt and add protein powder and frozen fruit to flavor it.

If you can make sure you have 1 solid protein source in each of your meals - say 25-30 grams, then you can fill in the rest with a couple grams here and there by paying closer attention to which bread has more protein, which yogurt has the most, add a can of beans to a stir-fry, there are noodles with extra protein, etc.

Just do the best you can each week and try to find better options each time you hit the grocery store.

Hope that helps!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    Options
    sun_fish wrote: »
    Excellent progress and so nice to see someone who did it without being miserable. Enjoy your next year of getting stronger and eating more ice cream!

If I only would have known years ago! Thank you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Well done!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!

I just opened my diary if you want to take a look. I rarely drink protein shakes and eat red meat maybe a couple times a week. I have used a lot of quest bars, but I can hit 100g without them pretty easily and am trying to reduce my reliance on them.

Some of my staples:

- Almost any 4 oz serving of lean meat will get you at least 20g - chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.
    - Eggs (use 1-2 whole and throw in whites if you need the protein but can't spare that many calories),
    - Greek yogurt - I will often get plain yogurt and add protein powder and frozen fruit to flavor it.

If you can make sure you have 1 solid protein source in each of your meals - say 25-30 grams, then you can fill in the rest with a couple grams here and there by paying closer attention to which bread has more protein, which yogurt has the most, add a can of beans to a stir-fry, there are noodles with extra protein, etc.

Just do the best you can each week and try to find better options each time you hit the grocery store.

Hope that helps!

I hope you don't mind if I add a couple high protein snacks that I use to hit my goals: yours above, plus small tins of flavoured tuna, shrimp with cocktail sauce, and edamame are some quick high protein snacks.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    Options
    You look awesome!

Some of my staples:

Hope that helps!

I hope you don't mind if I add a couple high protein snacks that I use to hit my goals: yours above, plus small tins of flavoured tuna, shrimp with cocktail sauce, and edamame are some quick high protein snacks.

Have at it. I just posted my own staples....Lots of other options out there!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Awesome work. You look great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!