Tips for leg squats?

Options
I am 6'5 and absolutely hate squats. I know it's one of the best excerises I can do, but it's always felt awkward and uncomfortable for me. I guess because of my height? Just looking for any tips to help.

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Are you doing weighted or unweighted squats? Either way, start here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/03/03/strength-training-101-how-to-squat-properly/ there's a ton of good pictures and videos outlining proper form, and it might help you dial in what's going on.

You can also try to get a video of you squatting and post it, and people can take a look and see what's going on with your form.
  • cbrealtor55
    cbrealtor55 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Weighted. Thanks for the link.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If they're weighted and you can't quite pinpoint what's wrong, I would definitely either have someone film your form or talk to a qualified trainer.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My husband in 6'3 and squats are his worst lift; I know I have sent him links from T-Nation about tall lifters. Check there.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think most people feel awkward and uncomfortable about squats when they first start doing them. Really, the key is to keep at them and experiment with different stance widths, how your toes are pointed, high/low bar, etc. until you find what feels most comfortable for you. Yes, taller people have a bit of a disadvantage with getting to depth on squats because it is that much farther to go with your leverages, but that disadvantage plays more into much weight you get on the bar (like in Powerlifting competitions), not to whether you are able to do the movement itself, if that makes sense. Just like how people with longer limbs are usually at more of a disadvantage for putting up big bench numbers than people with shorter limbs - the disadvantage plays into how much weight you can put up, but not into whether you can do the lift at all. It just takes time to find what feels the most comfortable to you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you spent any time doing bodyweight squats? The form will be slightly different, of course, but I think it's worth it to spend some time just working on your flexibility and ability to do those.
  • cbrealtor55
    Options
    Thanks! I was thinking about just working with the bar until I can get more comfortable. Thanks for the video. Will keep working on it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Ditch the bar for now and try goblet squats.http://bretcontreras.com/a-set-of-goblet-squats-per-day-keeps-the-doctor-away/

Great way to get the motion down.
  • cbrealtor55
    Options
    Awesome!