Just bought a weight belt !

Options
Due to back problems after falling on the ice last year, I haven't been able to lift as heavy as I'd like to. Chiropractor isn't helping so my next stop is physical therapy.

Does anyone use a belt? Any tips/pointers for me?

Thanks !

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Weight belts aren't supposed to prevent back pain, they allow a more stable core (you have a firm resistance to push your abs against), which allows for a better platform for lifting (often leading to being able to lift more weight).

If you are experiencing back pain, I'd stop lifts that cause you pain, and get into a physical therapist ASAP!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a chiropractor.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've been working with a chiropractor.

A weight belt will not prevent injury. Please get in to the PT first before you try to lift heavier.

Have you actually had a doctor, an MD, check you out? If you're experiencing pain, you really need to fix that before you try to lift heavier, or possibly at all. Your back isn't something to mess around on.

Yeah, I know I repeated pretty much what auddii said, but that's cause it was good advice!
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with @auddii and @ovidnine - the weight belt is for you to push against to help you lift more, not to prevent back issues. Definitely check with your PT to know exactly what you can do before buying a weight belt and lifting heavier.