1200 cals but feels like overeating during a intermittent fast

Options
nefudaboss
nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I weighed 260lbs Im 6'2 and I lost 10 lbs by doing low carb diet, and during this time I was only taking in 800-1200cals and i switched to a clean diet but i wasn't hungry much. I hit a plateau and started eating 1800cals to maybe reset my metabolism but I was felt like I was overeating and my stomach was completely full after eating multiple meals trying to get my 180grams of protein and i wasn't losing any weight. So I dropped my cals back down to 1200 and even lowered my protein a lil like 150 and I lost 2 lbs.

I recently started intermittent fasting, and I can easily get to 4pm without eating but I can't seem to get to 150grams of protein without feeling like i've overeaten, unless I just do only protein an veggies and no carbs barely any fat.

I workout strength training 2 times a week and cardio 3 times a week mostly walking and uphill sprints on cardio days I have energy cause im doing carbs on workout days but why is it hard to eat 1300 cals is it because im squeezing it in 8 hours? and should i lower the water im drinking 1 gallon a day. I just feel like im always overeating since i been on a clean diet trying to reach my calories goals and macros

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    So what is your question?
  • nefudaboss
    Options
    lmao i always do that.. should i be feeling like im overeating or should i cut back even more until i get hungry?
    Is it because im squeezing all this food into 8 hours is my portions too big? i mean then i wouldn't get the right amount of cals seems likes im good on 800 cals and i still have plenty of energy but thats no good right?
  • Fiveling
    Fiveling Posts: 44 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "but why is it hard to eat 1300 cals is it because im squeezing it in 8 hours? and should i lower the wate"

This is their question.

I'm afraid I'm too inexperienced to answer, but it may be because you're squeezing it in 8 hours. Then agaib I can't understand feeling full on 1300, I often easily go over my 1450 goal.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you want to do IF, then you have to within the 8 hours if that is the structure. If you feel like you cant eat that much food in that little time then IF is not for you.

P.S. You don't need IF to lose weight. IF still depends on a calorie deficit to work.
  • nefudaboss
    Options
    hmmm, ok that makes sense i can spread that diet out on a full day much easier without IF. then i can eat more cals but wolfing down two full meals in 8 hours leaves me with a bloated stomach and feeling like i need to exercise before i even go to bed. i just dont want to drop down to 800 cals sounds dangerous my BF is 22% so i figured i could handle it but i get cranky without carbs
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    At 6'2", 800 calories per day is indeed dangerously low for you. When you put your stats into MFP, how many calories per day does it tell you to eat? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • pliler
    pliler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If your fasting you don't have to fast for a set amount of hours every time ..one hour more or less won't make a difference. If your having trouble fitting your cals into eight hours just start feeding a little earlier in the day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have my first proper meal at around 1pm and I struggle to stay under 2000 calories a day.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Okay, so I have no idea where you got your IF information from, but your IF methods confuse me. Your 8 hour feed/16 hour fast is right, but why are you eating such low calories? I'm an IFer. I'm a woman, only 5'3" and I weigh 114.6 pounds. I eat more calories than you on my lift days (1700-2100) and my break days (1200-1500) and have no problem eating the amount of food I'm allowed to. I also eat around 130 to 160 grams of protein per day. You said you hit a plateau after a while at 1200 calories which makes zero sense to me.

Next point:
    I recently started intermittent fasting, and I can easily get to 4pm without eating but I can't seem to get to 150grams of protein without feeling like i've overeaten, unless I just do only protein an veggies and no carbs barely any fat.

I workout strength training 2 times a week and cardio 3 times a week mostly walking and uphill sprints on cardio days I have energy cause im doing carbs on workout days but why is it hard to eat 1300 cals is it because im squeezing it in 8 hours? and should i lower the water im drinking 1 gallon a day. I just feel like im always overeating since i been on a clean diet trying to reach my calories goals and macros

I'm not sure which method of IF you're following, but I do Leangains. Strength training days are supposed to be high carb, low fat, moderate protein, (50C/20F/30P) and eating at/near maintenance. Cardio and rest days are supposed to be low carb, high fat, moderate protein, (20C/50F/30P) and eating at a deficit of ~700 calories. Do you weigh your food with a food scale? I highly suspect you're taking in more calories than you think.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    IF helps curb appetite and is a convenient lifestyle choice. You have an extremely hard time eating enough food so IF is probably not the route you should take.

Also, you may (actually, definitely should) try increasing your appetite through stimulation. Make those 2 workouts MUCH more intense, more weightlifting, and bump it to 4x a week. I doubt you'll feel full on 1200 calories when you break your fast.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    That sounds really low. I'm also currently 260 lb (started at 320) and I'm losing quite vigorously on 1800 calories on rest days, 2200 on workout days. These are typically very accurate counts, as I measure out everything by weight, and I try not to either under or overeat - I end up 0-59 calories below my goal every day since if I had 60 calories I'd have another snack.
  • nefudaboss
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    At 6'2", 800 calories per day is indeed dangerously low for you. When you put your stats into MFP, how many calories per day does it tell you to eat? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

like 1800
  • nefudaboss
    Options
    pliler wrote: »
    If your fasting you don't have to fast for a set amount of hours every time ..one hour more or less won't make a difference. If your having trouble fitting your cals into eight hours just start feeding a little earlier in the day.

ok thats a good point i'll try that
  • nefudaboss
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Okay, so I have no idea where you got your IF information from, but your IF methods confuse me. Your 8 hour feed/16 hour fast is right, but why are you eating such low calories? I'm an IFer. I'm a woman, only 5'3" and I weigh 114.6 pounds. I eat more calories than you on my lift days (1700-2100) and my break days (1200-1500) and have no problem eating the amount of food I'm allowed to. I also eat around 130 to 160 grams of protein per day. You said you hit a plateau after a while at 1200 calories which makes zero sense to me.

Next point:

I'm not sure which method of IF you're following, but I do Leangains. Strength training days are supposed to be high carb, low fat, moderate protein, (50C/20F/30P) and eating at/near maintenance. Cardio and rest days are supposed to be low carb, high fat, moderate protein, (20C/50F/30P) and eating at a deficit of ~700 calories. Do you weigh your food with a food scale? I highly suspect you're taking in more calories than you think.

I need to buy a Food scale that's my next investment cause i try my hardest to get the right amounts but Im sure its not accurate.
  • nefudaboss
    Options
    the way i end up with 800 is i eat 1200-1400 but i do so much walking and cardio that it ends up leaving me with much more calories left
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    1200 cal/day is the MINIMUM
    for a WOMAN
    of AVERAGE SIZE.

You are a tall-ish man.
    Minimum for you would be 1500, and actually probably a bit more than that because of your height.

Stop trying the gimmicks - fasting, "eating clean", etc.
    You are not "on a diet", you are changing your life for good.

Eat normal, healthy food,
    leaning more toward unprocessed things,
    in reasonable amounts.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Here are a couple studies I found talking about complex eating strategies in re losing weight.
    The links take you to the abstract on PubMed.

Binge eating is not healthy, from a biological or mental perspective.
    Nor does it mean people are eating less.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23244741
    Double trouble: restrained eaters do not eat less and feel worse
    "high levels of dietary restraint do not appear to reflect actual caloric restraint, it has been found to be a risk factor for a wide array of maladaptive eating patterns ... restrained eaters do not eat less than they intend to do"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18325547
    "We examine the comfort food preferences and consumption patterns of women with highly versus less developed schemas for cognitive restraint, emotional and situational eating ... complex eating schemas weaken biological signals and produce maladaptive patterns ... High schematics reported a lesser post-consumption increase in fullness than low schematics. Low schematics favoured low and high calorie foods equally, their choice motivated by pleasure and positive emotions."
  • nefudaboss
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Here are a couple studies I found talking about complex eating strategies in re losing weight.
    The links take you to the abstract on PubMed.

Binge eating is not healthy, from a biological or mental perspective.
    Nor does it mean people are eating less.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23244741
    Double trouble: restrained eaters do not eat less and feel worse
    "high levels of dietary restraint do not appear to reflect actual caloric restraint, it has been found to be a risk factor for a wide array of maladaptive eating patterns ... restrained eaters do not eat less than they intend to do"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18325547
    "We examine the comfort food preferences and consumption patterns of women with highly versus less developed schemas for cognitive restraint, emotional and situational eating ... complex eating schemas weaken biological signals and produce maladaptive patterns ... High schematics reported a lesser post-consumption increase in fullness than low schematics. Low schematics favoured low and high calorie foods equally, their choice motivated by pleasure and positive emotions."

Thank you very much Im going to read these now
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Here are some helpful things to read.
    Definitely read sexypants several times.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

This blog post includes links to several calculators (as well as other solid references).
    One comes from the Baylor College of Medicine, and takes into account your age, height, weight, & activity.
    It will show you how much you should be eating, both in calories & in servings of the food groups.

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One of the disadvantages of IF is that some people cannot eat enough protein or other foods they need in one or two meals.
    You might not need a gallon of water. Drink fluids at times that are not near meal times.
    To add more calories and focus on protein rich foods, drink milk instead of water, eat chicken, beef, pork, eggs.