Bathroom issues

Options
Anyone experience bathroom problems with dieting? I think it is just the cleansing process my body is going through! I started my diet this Sunday and on Tuesday I pee'd like crazy! Today I am having GI issues( diarrhea). Is this withdrawal symptoms? Less sugar in diet and no alcohol!

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    When you increase your water intake, it can cause you to urinate more frequently for a while. And, they say the first swoosh of lost weight is often mostly water, so I can assume it'd cause more trips to the lavatory for that. :wink:

As far as diarrhea, how have you changed your diet? Less sugar but more fiber? Change in the types of foods you've been eating? Sometimes that can cause a bit of GI distress.

I wouldn't call it withdrawal. Sugar isn't really an addictive substance, and though we enjoy it (and may miss it a bit) there aren't really withdrawal symptoms. And alcohol detoxification (withdrawal) has a lot of other issues that you don't mention, so it's probably not that (and you'd have to be a pretty heavy drinker ... you're not going to experience it just from cutting out a daily drink or two, usually)

It's more likely either a slight case of gastroenteritis (a stomach/GI bug) that is coincidental with the start of your diet, or your body just adjusting to your change in eating habits. If it persists, though, I would look into what you may have added that could be irritating your gut. Other than that, stay with it and make sure you're meeting your macro and micro needs but allowing for enjoyment in your eating as well.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Too much fruit, especially banana causes am issue with the bathroom, when dieting it's easy to overdo fruit and not realise it may effect that!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In looking at your diary (a couple of great days, btw) you do seem to have quite a bit of fruit. If you weren't eating very much of it before it could be causing the bathroom issues now. And frequent urination is very common at the beginning of a healthy change in eating habits. It's that wonderful water weight going away and giving us a boost of confidence.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Bananas can have a laxative effect if they are ripe or over ripe. They can also be constipating if they are on the green side, instead. :)

• anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a change in mine since eating healthier. I think it's just the change in diet, and your body adjusting. Unless it persists for a while, I wouldn't worry too much over it, and just remind yourself things will level back out! :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Do make sure to stay well hydrated, though. :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - body still in shock....it will adjust. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Jkowals123 wrote: »
    Anyone experience bathroom problems with dieting? I think it is just the cleansing process my body is going through! I started my diet this Sunday and on Tuesday I pee'd like crazy! Today I am having GI issues( diarrhea). Is this withdrawal symptoms? Less sugar in diet and no alcohol!

Withdrawal symptoms from.....?

Unless you have medical issue where you're not supposed to have sugar, then less sugar probably is not the culprit. I don't know about the alcohol.

The more fluids in, the more fluids out. :)

Regarding the GI issues, maybe you have a flu bug and being on a diet right now is coincidence? Or, too much fruit can do this too.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Not certain about peeing more frequently. If you're drinking more fluids or eating a lot more fruit, then yes. Not certain what you mean by withdrawal...if you mean sugar, maybe but it's unlikely. As for alcohol withdrawal causing diarrhea, are you having any other symptoms (ie shakes, nausea, vomiting, seizures, etc), possibly, but it really depends on the amount and frequency you drink. The diarrhea could possibly be brought on if you've dramatically increased fluid consumption. Are you eating significantly different foods than what you were? If you've added a lot of new foods recently that my be the culprit- you could be intolerant to something you've added. If it persists I would see a doctor. Hope you feel better!
  • plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    if you're staying hydrated, you'll pee more. if you're drinking more water than you're used to and not eating enough fiber, your poops will be watery.
    that's my two cents anyway.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    No major problems, other than maybe a day of trots, but I did notice that I Couldn't. Stop. TOOTING!!! It was bad. PT reassured me that my guts were getting used to the changes, and complaining occasionally. Now that I've been on MFP for a while, I feel so much better!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You could also just be sick. It happens.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    In looking at your diary (a couple of great days, btw) you do seem to have quite a bit of fruit. If you weren't eating very much of it before it could be causing the bathroom issues now. And frequent urination is very common at the beginning of a healthy change in eating habits. It's that wonderful water weight going away and giving us a boost of confidence.

+1 GI issues can happen if you add a lot of fibre (veg & fruits) at once - it's better to introduce it gradually.

Some people are sensitive to FODMAPs, but I wouldn't rush to that conclusion if you've just added a ton of fruit at once and haven't eaten any in a while.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/treatment/low-fodmap-diet/what-are-fodmaps