Protien and Gout question

Options
I have gout and have cut out beef from my diet totally. It was hard, but I did it. I still eat chicken, pork, and turkey, although the more I read the more I'm thinking those aren't even all that great for gout sufferers. I'm on allopurinol, a daily medication to remove uric acid from by system and haven't had a full blown attack in quite some time. Yeah!!!

Any one know if increasing the amount fo protien in my diet through non-meat sources like nuts or other supplements(ie protien bars or shakes) will also result in a jump in the levels of uric acid in the blood?

Replies

• priv8life
    priv8life Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You should be OK with non meat proteins. Watch alcohol consumption too. I use Myfitnesspal to track foods for my personal gout science. Different people may have different triggers. Good luck.
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    If your insurance covers it or at least part of it I would try to see a dietitian. I doubt very many members of this site will know a whole lot about a specific medical condition such as this but a dietitian who works with gout should be especially helpful. I'm studying to be a dietitian and this is something we covered in a senior level class, I would have to look back in my textbooks and notes to give you more info but honestly without being a registered dietitian I don't feel comfortable giving out advice that could potentially cause more problems.