a lot of satisfying food for about 500 cals

Options
LuckyLeprechaun
LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
Okay so I was trying to figure out what to eat for dinner that would only be around 500 calories, I am great at staying within my calories during the day but I struggle with dinner ( I can never figure out what to eat that will stay within the cals and be satisfying) and then I feel hungry going to bed. Not a good feeling and one I want to eliminate-

so tonight I decided to get into the database and see just how much food I can eat for 500~ calories (I had 543 available, but I try to leave a little bit left over in case i underestimate or something)

Here's what I came up with: (breakfast for dinner is my fav)
a bagel (which I toasted)
4 slices canadian bacon (zapped)
2 slices real tillamook cheddar cheese (which I melted onto the meat)
2 whole eggs
five tbsp of salsa (I have this chipotle/tomatillo salsa that I LOOVE)

I scrambled up the eggs using calorie free pan spray, applied them to the toasty, warm and melty cheesy ham and bagel, and then covered the tops with delicious salsa.

OMG. It was so yummy.
so then I realized that with all the super-smart MFP users we have, this cannot be the only instance of a lot of food or a 500 calorie budget. So I would love to hear your suggestions: What other satisfying meals have you guys come up with for only about 500 cals? (I'm asking for 500 because my breakfast and lunch satisfy me completely and I almost always have about 500 to spend at dinnertime)

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Okay so I was trying to figure out what to eat for dinner that would only be around 500 calories, I am great at staying within my calories during the day but I struggle with dinner ( I can never figure out what to eat that will stay within the cals and be satisfying) and then I feel hungry going to bed. Not a good feeling and one I want to eliminate-

so tonight I decided to get into the database and see just how much food I can eat for 500~ calories (I had 543 available, but I try to leave a little bit left over in case i underestimate or something)

Here's what I came up with: (breakfast for dinner is my fav)
    a bagel (which I toasted)
    4 slices canadian bacon (zapped)
    2 slices real tillamook cheddar cheese (which I melted onto the meat)
    2 whole eggs
    five tbsp of salsa (I have this chipotle/tomatillo salsa that I LOOVE)

I scrambled up the eggs using calorie free pan spray, applied them to the toasty, warm and melty cheesy ham and bagel, and then covered the tops with delicious salsa.

OMG. It was so yummy.
    so then I realized that with all the super-smart MFP users we have, this cannot be the only instance of a lot of food or a 500 calorie budget. So I would love to hear your suggestions: What other satisfying meals have you guys come up with for only about 500 cals? (I'm asking for 500 because my breakfast and lunch satisfy me completely and I almost always have about 500 to spend at dinnertime)
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Here’s what I had:

A toasted tortilla sheel with ½ can of tuna with 1/2 tbsp mayo, 1 tsp of mustard, ½ tbsp chopped onion mixed in and topped with 1 sliced pickle and ¼ cup lettuce & on the side 1 1/2 cups of lettuce with 1 tbsp of bacon ranch dressing.

Calories 312 / Carbs 28 / Fat 16 / Protein 15

There are 12 less grams of fat if you use light dressing & mayo. I used what I had in the house though. Still trying to build up my low-cal food supply. Pretty decent calories in this meal though.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i like any soup in a can with a side salad. it's easy and super filling with all the veggies. i also enjoy an ice tea delish!!!!
  • Badtz
    Badtz Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree with amcclure... soup is one of my favorite dinners, I make it 2 or 3 nights a week. And it's easy to make variations. My favorite is:

1 can diced tomatoes, no sodium added
    2 med. carrots, sliced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 large white or yellow onion, diced or sliced
    2 celery stalks, sliced
    1 zuchinni, sliced in quarters
    2 links chicken sausage, any flavor (I like italian), sliced thin
    4 cups low sodium chicken broth
    2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    2 bay leaves
    4 sprigs thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
    salt & pepper, to taste

Over low heat, sautee the onions, carrots, celery & sausage in 2 tbsp. of olive oil, until the onions are slightly transparent. Add garlic, salt & pepper- sautee 5 minutes more.
    Add a little of the broth to deglaze the pan a bit, then add the rest of the broth & the remaining veggies, bay & thyme. Then heat until boiling, then reduce heat to low & simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.

My boyfriend & I share the entire pot for dinner after we work out (works out to 2 bowls each), and the nutritional value for HALF THE POT is:

Calories 400 / Carbs 29 / Fat 21 / Protein 21

And talk about eating your colors! Change up the veggies & spices to suit your tastes, the caloric content remains about the same.

AND TALK ABOUT EATING YOUR COLORS!!!!
  • crosstitcher0563
    Options
    I have been eating simple dinners like this :
    1 Cup steamed brocoli or cauliflower or mixed vegetables
    1 med baked potato w/ 1 Tblsp light sour cream or 1 cup steamed rice with 2 tblsp sweet/sour sauce
    1 baked boneless/skinless chicken breast or 1 filet of tilapia or 1 filet of halibut

And I always save 1 snack of fruit and 2 cups of water for after dinner.

That is what I've been doing. I need recipe tips for low calorie dinners. I'm looking for a good cookbook.
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Last night I had chicken caesar salad with home-made caesar dressing. Tonight I made Enchiladas Verdes with tomatillo sauce and went really light on the cheese. It was yummy.