Stressful Job ... How do you all stick to exercise routine??

Options
Hi all!

So, I have a very stressful and demanding job. I work a minimum of 10hrs a day at least 6 days a week. I keep falling off the wagon in terms of eating, but that seems to be much easier for me to stick with because I like to cook.

My issue is sticking to an exercise routine. I am not a morning person, but I know I need to work out in the morning. I get to work between 9:30-10am, and work until anywhere from 8-10pm. Working out at night is technically possible, but who wants to work out at 10pm?

I know I need to work out in the am. My issue is I need a few hours to unwind when i get home, which puts me to bed around 12:30-1:30. I also need my 8hrs of sleep. No kids, but in a relationship.

I know a lot of you have kids, have demanding jobs, and are awesome spouses or significant others. How the hell do you manage to get up in the early AM and get everything else done???

I need to get in check before I have kids so that I am in a good routine.

Any motivational tips would be awesome!! I have never been so inactive until I went to law school and started my career. I have always been an athlete and dancer. I feel so much better when I am active, so I know I need to do it.

I need a jumpstart and to actually stick with it.

Hope you're all having an amazing week!!

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You do not have a large window of time, and I know it is not easy to find time when you work those crazy hours. I will admit that when work gets overwhelming, I also find it difficult to stay on track. However it can be done, and as I have gotten older I have figured a few things out that work when I am in those busy times.

#1 Go for a walk at lunch. Instead of sitting at lunch I get a minimum walk of 4000 steps at a fast pace. Sometimes I do the stairs, up and down a few laps around the building. A great cardio workout.

#2 I alternate muscle groups so I literally can work out 15-20 mins and still exhaust that particular muscle group. Today for example was 'back' day. I did pullups, and seated rows....took about 20 minutes with a warmup and stretch. I have been doing that for nearly two years, and it keeps things interesting and allows me to workout almost everyday...and not take time away from family, friends, work.

#3 You have one day off! Make that day count, enjoy life BUT make that your serious cardio day, or a full body workout, or HIIT.

#4 One thing you can always control is calories. Even when you are busy, you can find strength in eating well, staying on course. Life happens, and sometimes there just isn't a minute to spare, on those days I just make sure I eat well without overindulging.

good luck
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When my routine was steady, it was because I worked out at home in the morning before breakfast and shower, and then on days off I would work out outside. I also tried to engage my spouse in active chores. A standing desk or midday meeting/walk help break up the workday. Tai chi and other slow stretching movements in the evening helped too. We moved last year to a place without space to dance :( I am trying to fit it back in now - cheers to you.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My husband is in the same boat as you are, long hours at a demanding job. He has a gym at work, but has trouble getting up early enough to go, and sometimes he has early morning meetings that prevent that. I'm a university instructor who has two early class days, but I'm more flexible the rest of the week. My husband and I made a commitment to talk a half hour walk together the days I start class later in the AM. We usually walk around 7:30-8:00, and then he goes to work at 9:00. He ended up finding this less time-consuming than going to the gym (packing a bag, showering there, etc.). On the week-end, he does a more strenuous workout. He still needs to work on his eating, though. If, like him, you have only 1/2 hour for exercise, you're not burning that many exercise calories, so you still have to keep good track of your food, point 4 of the previous post.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a great stress reliever. I vote for an evening cardio routine followed by a hot shower. You may include your partner in these activities to save time. I'm betting the extra activity will help you get to sleep right quick.

HIIT is hard, fast, and compact.

Don't bother with a gym for evening workouts. You want to save on travel time and all that.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    How about a 20 minute yoga routine you can do in the morning or evening at home? It might actually help you deal with stress and long hours.

I think the important thing is to get started with a routine. It doesn't have to be a long or intense session, but just start moving. Eventually you may find ways to fit in more time for workouts or work your way to more intense workouts.
  • stacie3751
    stacie3751 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you just have to pick a time and DO IT. That means even when you are too tired, have too much to do, etc. I work out at 4:30am. It's the only time I can consistently get to the gym. I often don't feel like getting up at 3;30, especially if I've been up late, but I force myself too. I think about my goal, I dig deep and push. You can do this!!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Exercise is a great stress reliever. I vote for an evening cardio routine followed by a hot shower. You may include your partner in these activities to save time. I'm betting the extra activity will help you get to sleep right quick.

HIIT is hard, fast, and compact.

Don't bother with a gym for evening workouts. You want to save on travel time and all that.

saw that @jgnatca :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    How about you try getting up 20 mins early and doing a 15 min workout? There are plenty of intense 15 min workouts on youtube. And some is better then none!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    sabillin1 wrote: »
    Hi all!

So, I have a very stressful and demanding job. I work a minimum of 10hrs a day at least 6 days a week. I keep falling off the wagon in terms of eating, but that seems to be much easier for me to stick with because I like to cook.

My issue is sticking to an exercise routine. I am not a morning person, but I know I need to work out in the morning. I get to work between 9:30-10am, and work until anywhere from 8-10pm. Working out at night is technically possible, but who wants to work out at 10pm?

I know I need to work out in the am. My issue is I need a few hours to unwind when i get home, which puts me to bed around 12:30-1:30. I also need my 8hrs of sleep. No kids, but in a relationship.

I know a lot of you have kids, have demanding jobs, and are awesome spouses or significant others. How the hell do you manage to get up in the early AM and get everything else done???

Any motivational tips would be awesome!! I have never been so inactive until I went to law school and started my career. I have always been an athlete and dancer. I feel so much better when I am active, so I know I need to do it.

When it becomes a PRIORITY to you, you'll always find time for exercise.
    IMO, while it's great to have a good career and money, it really means nothing if you can't keep your health intact. Balance is everything and sometimes we let ego supercede what's more important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch break then eat lunch at my desk. I also take several short walks during the day. 5-10 minutes at a time, no one misses me. It adds up. :) Lately I have been stopping at the gym on my way home from work for a 25-minute weightlifting session. Could you stop on your way TO work?
  • em1ly01
    em1ly01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I look at it as making an appointment with myself. You probably wouldn't miss an appointment you made with your doctor, or perhaps a hair dresser, so why skip an appointment with the most important person: yourself! It's a promise to yourself, that's how I look at it!
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi all!

When it becomes a PRIORITY to you, you'll always find time for exercise.
    IMO, while it's great to have a good career and money, it really means nothing if you can't keep your health intact. Balance is everything and sometimes we let ego supercede what's more important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^This!

I want to look good (so badly) and have the strength & mentality to do my work, so a 6 AM workout is actually very excited for me (also start working around 9 AM). But I guess I have that extra few hours since I can't sleep for 8 hrs... will automatically wake up around 6.5-7 hrs of sleep... :s
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I find regular exercise to be a great stress reliever.

Maybe start with the basics...as a matter of general health, try to get in 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise weekly...that's only 30 minutes 5x per week or 60 minutes 2 days per week and then another 30 minute session.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you make time. I go for runs or do yoga at 4am for about an hour or so. or do things with your SO like dance lessons.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Learn not to take 2.5-3.5 hours to "unwind" and use an hour to exercise at night or go to bed and get up earlier. I'm guessing that time is spent sitting in front of some sort of screen. Also, do you need 8 hours of sleep or is that what you are used to? Learn to thrive on an hour less.

Exercise to most people is a great stress reliever. Best of luck.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be 100%. I couldn't do it. Between the demanding stressful job and my own home business my health was suffering. I spent 2 years focusing on both and then quit the demanding stressful job in favor of my own home business. I'm currently on an 8 week sabbatical focusing on the home business, exercise and diet. Then I go full time in a career, not a job. I fell off the employment rolls. I'm done with jobs. This may not be an option for you, but in the interest of my health I made it a priority to work myself out of that type of work.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am working full time and doing graduate school, plus two tween kids and an old farmhouse to maintain. My experience has been that the stress relief from exercising, especially after it becomes a habit, makes me more efficient in my other responsibilities. But I have to schedule it like an appointment. When I do not run, my productivity tanks. For me, exercise is not one of those optional ingredients; it's a main ingredient.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Ya just gotta. Gotta make yourself, if being fit or weighing less is really what you want. REALLY REALLY BAD. That means throwing in a 10pm workout every now and then...that means getting up after only 7 hours sleep sometimes.....that means going for walk/jogs on your lunchhour if you can, or hitting the floor of your office (close the door first!!)...It is doable. It's all about how bad you want it, and how much you are willing to do or change to get it. Good luck! xo
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

It looks like you're your own worst enemy. I work from 7 am till 7 pm, but fortunately, it 3 or 4 days a week, I'm up at 3:45 to be at the gym by 5 so I can be out by 6:35. Since I work out, I'm not as stressed as I used to be, and don't need the time to relax and unwind at the end of the day, or the full 8 hrs sleep, I do try to be in bed by 9:30, so I get a least 6 hrs in. I have never been a morning person, but just have to make myself do it. I have a battle every morning before I get up, the gym always wins.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise is a form of "unwinding". I work a full time corporate job, have 3 kids and am divorced so I either get up at 5am and jump on my teadmill for 30 minutes before my kids wake up, or workout at 9pm after my kids are in bed. I enjoy my exercise (mostly the after exercise feeling) so I make it a priority.