Workout routines

Options
Can you please share your work out routines? I am trying to slim arms and don't want to bulk, any suggestions?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    if you want slim arms and not bulk, eat at a deficit and do whatever exercise you want. You will not magically bulk up by lifting weights, especially not when eating at a deficit. If you want strong lean arms, then lift heavy weights (i.e. not 5lb dumbbells)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    if you want slim arms and not bulk, eat at a deficit and do whatever exercise you want. You will not magically bulk up by lifting weights, especially not when eating at a deficit. If you want strong lean arms, then lift heavy weights (i.e. not 5lb dumbbells)

This.

Find a strength routine (proven, with a progressive overload), and eat at a deficit. "Bulking up" literally takes a calorie surplus and lifting heavy weights.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

This.

Find a strength routine (proven, with a progressive overload), and eat at a deficit. "Bulking up" literally takes a calorie surplus and lifting heavy weights.

and lots of time and great genetics. Most people will simply lose weight, get strong, and look amazing. Do not let the phrase 'lift heavy' scare you. Heavy is a relative term, and pushing yourself to your limits, following a proven training program WILL pay off tremendously.

Good luck
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So in case you've never heard of these before, these are proven programs for beginners. Any of these will help you reach your goal.
    (Again, you won't bulk up).

- new rules of lifting women
    - Strong curves
    - Stronglifts 5x5
    - Starting strength
    - Icf 5x5
  • nise82
    nise82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

• nise82
    Options
    Thanks! I thought I needed to do more cardio then weights to lose.
    Anyone have a routine they do at the gym? Looking for new ones
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty simple straightforward routine for beginners. If barbell training is intimidating to you right now I would recommend just subbing the dumbbell or machine equivalent

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    For your question about cardio I would do whatever exercise that you enjoy that helps you maintain your calorie deficit over time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    nise82 wrote: »
    Thanks! I thought I needed to do more cardio then weights to lose.
    Anyone have a routine they do at the gym? Looking for new ones

i would highly recommend looking at New Rules of Lifting for Women...it's a good read and a solid, structured beginner program. it will provide you a lot of information and is geared towards women who may be a bit leery of the weight room. it will tell you what to do, when to do it, and why you're doing it.

beyond that, just add whatever cardio you want to do on non-lifting days.

where weight loss is concerned, your diet is going to have profoundly more impact...regular exercise makes weight management easier because it ups your body's energy requirements thus making it easier to sustain a reasonable deficit or in the case of maintenance makes it more difficult to overshoot your energy requirements...but in and of itself, exercise does not result in weight loss.

try to start looking at exercise and fitness for the sake of fitness rather than purely weight driven. i cycle around 80 miles per week on average and i lift 2-3x per week in the gym...do some hiking here and there and enjoy swimming in the warmer months. i'm also just pretty active outside of my office chasing my 3 y.o. and 5 y.o. around, doing yard work, cleaning and cooking and fixing this or that. i've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing all of those things...the difference in my weight being how much i was eating, not my exercise or activity.
  • nise82
    Options
    Thanks! I am super scared to go to the weight part of the room! Lol I feel like I have no idea what I am doing! I norm walk 5 miles with my kid and when I go to to gym I do 40 min cardio then whatever Machine is open. I don't feel sore so I feel like I am not doing anything. Thanks for the advice☺️
  • nise82
    Options
    Thanks for the link!