Quest bars & breakfast

Options
Hey there,

Wondering if anyone eats quest bars on a daily basis, and if so, if some even eat more than one daily. I am considering eating 2 quest bars a day for breakfast to have some long lasting high protein and fiber to last me through breakfast and lunch. Your thoughts / experiences with this? For roughly 325 calories and high protein and fiber it seems like a good and easy bet although I know expensive but that's okay with me.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I eat them.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I eat them.

Daily though? & two a day?
  • titinil
    titinil Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just recently started eating them, but I only have them three days a week.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have eat them up to 5 or 6 a day - I am terrible at moderation :) The only issues i see is that (1) its a LOT of fiber if you are not used to it and (2) eating them makes me want more immediately, and I am hungrier all day. I think maybe that is due to the artificial sweetener in them, which doesnt affect everyone the same. But several trials have shown me that I personally have a much harder time controlling my overall calorie intake when eating quest bars. Especially in the morning - but carbs in general tend to do that to me... if I eat carbs in the morning I am more hungry all day, spend my day thinking about food, etc than if I eat fat/protein first. Once I eat carbs, my control goes way downhill. THis is especially true if those carbs include a quest bar (even though low sugar).

YMMV of course :) just pay attention and be willing to change course if needed!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    They are kind of expensive to eat 2 a day IMO. Besides, i would rather eat foods than just protein bars. I do eat one daily (well most mornings) on top of a bagel with peanut butter and an apple.

Quest does have some good recipes but it incorporates their protein powders and protein bars.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have done that in the past but if I eat too much protein supplement (bars/powder; whey/vegan; anything really) I get really bad pains in what feels like is my intestines. They feel swollen (like someone blew up a balloon in them) and it starts off dull but if I keep on eating over a few days, it it gets sharper to the point where it can keep me up at night. Sounds weird, I know, and maybe its just me. And yes, I know it's the protein supplements because at first I refused to believe that was the cause and I've tried multiple times over the years to up my protein consumption with Quest and others, both alone and mixing brands.. ALWAYS the same results.. Past around 30g (1.5 Quest bars) over a few days, this happens!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It depends on your total calorie budget for the day and your protein goals. If those two Quest bars amount to more than 50% of your protein intake for the day, you may want to consider diversifying a little bit. Other than that, if it works for you, go for it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a Quest bar every day for breakfast (until the formula change), and I would often have another one before working out. For the calorie count and how full they made me feel, I couldn't pass the second up some times. I really tried not to do two EVERY DAY though, partly because of cost. The fiber count is a little lower now, but I also found that in addition to all the other fiber I was getting-if I was eating two, and not getting enough fat, I would have...troubles.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Seems expensive.

I used to have one a day for a snack, but that's just because i don't like them for breakfast. I prefer a fage 2% plain cup with a banana or mandarin instead.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 3-5 a day until the formula change. (They were addicting) I had no gas problems, but find they aren't really filling to me. The new recipe gave me bad gas and felt really dense though so they may be more filling for you. I've heard the new formula gave many people stomach issues, so beware.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lots of people here have reported eating 2 a day with apparently no ill effects.

I was eating 1 a day for a few weeks in an attempt to finish up what I had left in my pantry. No ill effects for me.

I think there are equally good and less expensive protein bars out there though. I wouldn't have a problem eating 2 protein bars a day myself, but I wouldn't want both bars to be Quest. Esp not anymore since their formula change which somehow made their bars not that tempting anymore and easy to pass over for another bar.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what Quest Bars you're eating, but the ones I have are closer to 200 calories each, putting 2 at around 400 calories. There is also some stories floating around the web that last year Quest was sued for mislabeling their nutritional information, which could indicate the calories are actually higher than stated (a quick google search will show you). Anyway, I guess I'm saying eat Quest Bars if you like them (I do!), but 2 at once could be higher calories than you think.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Eat whole foods for breakfast if you can (eg. Oatmeal, egg whites, fruits etc...). They're better for you and more filling. I only eat my Questbar if I notice that I'm low on fiber for the day since I'm tracking. I normally eat a Questbar once a day on my non-training days which is a couple of times a week. So Questbars are just a filler for me. But if you're in a rush in the mornings and can't spare the time to cook, then go for it. I also just look at them as a convenient way to get my protein when I'm on the run and can't get access to whole foods. :)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    jcow84 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what Quest Bars you're eating, but the ones I have are closer to 200 calories each, putting 2 at around 400 calories. There is also some stories floating around the web that last year Quest was sued for mislabeling their nutritional information, which could indicate the calories are actually higher than stated (a quick google search will show you). Anyway, I guess I'm saying eat Quest Bars if you like them (I do!), but 2 at once could be higher calories than you think.

unfortunately quest isn't the only protein bar that is mislabeled in terms of calories - if you add up the macros they don't equal the calories claimed on the label. i have found this with Oh Yeah! and Combat Crunch bars as well.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Just curious if there is a particular reason that you would prefer protein bars for breakfast?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    jcow84 wrote: »

unfortunately quest isn't the only protein bar that is mislabeled in terms of calories - if you add up the macros they don't equal the calories claimed on the label. i have found this with Oh Yeah! and Combat Crunch bars as well.

That's because the fiber they were using actually only has 2 calories per gram for carbs. That's where the discrepancy comes in.

It's important to note, however, quest has since changed their formula to another fiber product so that the label is now accurate.
  • SpiderwebNebula
    SpiderwebNebula Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a Questbar addict, I used to eat up to 4 of them a day (my fav ones are the cookie dough, chocolate chunk, brownie, cinnamon roll, white choc raspberry and the coconut cashew). I always heat them in the microwave, topped with a teaspoon of almond butter or cashew butter - heaven!

Anyways, I unfortunately have IBS, so the amount of fiber I was consuming per day really made me either (a) super constipated or (b) gave me terrible stomach cramps or (c) runny tummy.

Nowadays, I limit myself to only 2 per day, one for breakfast with some almond butter and fruit, and one as post-workout.

Plus, I read somewhere that a protein-rich breakfast is the best way to go, no mindless snacking during the day, and since protein takes more calories to burn than fats and carbs do, they speed up your metabolic rate a bit too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd enjoy doing it regularly -- I have other preferences for breakfast -- but I have eaten a couple of Quest bars for breakfast when traveling if there were no other easy/as good options, and found it worked just fine and filled me up until lunch with no negative effects. (My usual breakfast is 350-400 calories, so the 370-380 for the Quest bars was just about what I wanted.)
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I occasionally eat 1 for breakfast when I am in a rush. I couldn't imagine eating 2.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I typically eat one or two a day for breakfast depending on how hungry i am.

ETA: This is my go to when I don't wake up earlier to have some sort of an egg based preference which I prefer but sometimes don't have time for.