Mini Freak Out :(

Options
Okay, about a week ago I finally reached my goal weight of 135 lbs. I then decided I was done losing weight, and I just wanted to tone what I have now. Well here I am a week in, and I had noticed that my legs were much more toned than when I started, and my stomach as well. Well, out of curiosity I took my waist measurement and it grew a half inch! I had a mini freak out, and decided to weigh myself early, and I HAVE GAINED TWO POUNDS. Now I knew I would probably gain a few pounds or so during this toning process, but should I really be gaining inches!? I of course had to increase my food intake, due to the use of weights, but I am still burning a lot of calories off. HELP? :(

CAUTION: THIS PART MAY BE TMI. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...lol.

I am supposed to have my monthly "visit" next week, and I never really thought of how that affected my body....could this be the culprit??

Replies

• timeformajorchange
    Options
    When you work with weights, you actually rip the muscle fibers. The body repairs them, but also protects them by surrounding them with water. So you do temporarily retain water (some anyway) when you work with weights,. Also, I know when it's my TOM, I can gain as much as 7lbs as far as a week in advance. Give your body a few weeks to adjust, try not to freak out too much (hard to do I know!!), and see where things level out. :) As hard as it is, you have to trust in the process and focus on how strong you are feeling, what definition you are starting to see, etc. Other factors than just weight and measurements. Did you take "before" pictures? Maybe retake some now and compare them? GOOD LUCK!!
  • Peridotite
    Peridotite Posts: 66
    Options
    God yes! If you get bloated (and you don't have to feel like you are bloated to be bloated) it can affect you waist/hip size :huh:

Are we not blessed to be women?:angry:
  • Kaelinnn_102
    Kaelinnn_102 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! Ah, I can't tell you how much that helped me! Haha. I appreciate the responses/help! (:
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    I too gain as much as 7 lbs during my TOM. and i know that when you build muscle it can add inches, and i agree that you should look at some before and after pics. i have a friend that is a personal trainer and he said do not go by BMI as it does not take muscle into account (if that were the case he is 30 lbs overweight - and i have seen him at his BMI weight YUCK! - too thin)
  • Kaelinnn_102
    Options
    God yes! If you get bloated (and you don't have to feel like you are bloated to be bloated) it can affect you waist/hip size :huh:

Are we not blessed to be women?:angry:

SO frustrating! Haha.
  • Kaelinnn_102
    Options
    I unfortunately didn't take before pictures right before this new plan, but I have some from a month ago where I was only 2 pounds heavier, I may take a look at those! Surely that will make me feel better, lol!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I have been in the range of +-2lbs around 130lbs for the last two months almost - and my waist gained a little, as if I was bloated. But from the photos I know my body looks more toned and I have more strength and endurance, so Im happy.
  • Kaelinnn_102
    Options
    This is interesting. I have been in the range of +-2lbs around 130lbs for the last two months almost - and my waist gained a little, as if I was bloated. But from the photos I know my body looks more toned and I have more strength and endurance, so Im happy.

Yes, same here! I know I look more toned, and I feel tight, it's just the scale & measurements that have me irritated. I know I know, they don't show my body accurately, but let's face it, haha they are still VERY frustrating!