Anyone else have this issue

Options
So over the weekend i decided to give running on the treadmill a try and surprise i can do it! But only when no one is around lol. Unfortunately the time i go to the gym during the week is the same time a lot of guys are in there lifting weights. I'm very self conscious running in front of all of them cause I'm not a small girl. Does anyone have any good advice to overcome this?

Replies

• Trishfitz78
    Trishfitz78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    no hard and fast solution to this but:
    - those guys are so into their program they are barely registering anyone else around them so in the nicest possible way, they don't care about you running on the treadmill.
    - I road run now, love love love it, and seen someone the other day running too, and like you say "not a small girl", my immediate thought was "well done you! Go for it!"
    - Put some of your favourite music in your ears and if you can get through the first few times, I promise you won't notice anyone else around you anymore

Good luck!
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    no hard and fast solution to this but:
    - those guys are so into their program they are barely registering anyone else around them so in the nicest possible way, they don't care about you running on the treadmill.
    - I road run now, love love love it, and seen someone the other day running too, and like you say "not a small girl", my immediate thought was "well done you! Go for it!"
    - Put some of your favourite music in your ears and if you can get through the first few times, I promise you won't notice anyone else around you anymore

Good luck!
    What she said!!! I will use the elliptical, bikes, stairs, weight machines at the gym but WILL.NOT.RUN!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In general, I will say not to worry about what others may or may not be thinking about you in the gym. Most people look around when they are there but they are more concerned with what they are doing than what you're doing. I will say, though, that when I was heavier and started to get embarrassed about doing an exercise in front of somebody because I was "not a small girl," I would remind myself that I was fat regardless and that I could choose to portray myself as fat and attempting to get in shape or fat and just sitting in a chair, doing nothing. I'm not sure if that helps but that was my thought process.
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Just be proud of yourself and what you're doing (you can and should be!)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toH4GcPQXpc
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    If they look at you at all.......they'll probably be thinking "good for her", and eventually they'll be admiring what all your hard work has accomplished...........again if they're looking at all!!!

Sometimes people appear to be looking around at others but usually they're just concentrating on their own workout and listening to whatever tunes are playing to keep them motivated.

Just do it anyway and be proud of yourself for meeting your challenge!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I think most people would be glad for you gettinh out there and trying hard! Don't worry about them!
  • lissac53
    lissac53 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great advice! Hopefully i can overcome my insecurities because I know that adding running into my working will help my weight loss. :) Basically i should be like 'if you don't like the way i look running then don't look'.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lissac53 wrote: »
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great advice! Hopefully i can overcome my insecurities because I know that adding running into my working will help my weight loss. :) Basically i should be like 'if you don't like the way i look running then don't look'.

Exactly.

FWIW, I've never had anybody say anything rude or weird to me about anything I've ever done in the gym. I caught one guy laughing at me but it was immediately after I did a goblet squat too close to a bench and slammed into the bench with my rear. I was trying not to laugh myself as it was a bit comical so I really couldn't blame him for that. But never have I had anybody talk down to me or anything like that.
  • pliler
    pliler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I see a bigger person at the gym while I'm lifting, I dont think bad of them at all, I think good job putting in that work! Well done getting on that treadmill!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I get in, work out, and get out. I pay little attention to anyone. I think most other are like me.

When I run I usually do pay attention only to wave or say hi. I probably acknowledged at least 20 other runners in the past week but I honestly couldn't tell you what any of them looked like. They may have been heavier and I did not notice. I am positive most runners are like this.

Enjoy your workouts. :)

Good luck.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    adding in what most people have said...sometimes I look around but more to get ideas about what other people are doing rather than to judge at all. It's doubtful anyone is really noticing.

When I see a larger person working out I tend to think, good for her/him! Certainly not judging, if anything, it's positive. The people I judge are the ones wearing jeans or sitting on the exercise bike on level 1...regardless of size. I think it's great for anyone to decide to get healthier.

As far as running specifically...well, I don't. I use the elliptical instead of running because I am afraid for my knees. But if you're worried about support and hurting your chest, get a good, supportive sports bra so you feel more comfortable.

Good luck and keep at it!