HOME EXERCISE EQUIPMENT

Options
StilljustaBill
StilljustaBill Posts: 124 Member
edited December 2015 in Getting Started
Hi all. I'm looking into getting something for home. Treadmill, bike, elliptical... Any one use and have preferences?

Replies

• kck2013
    kck2013 Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A home gym is a big investment, and I'd recommend buying into a gym membership for one year before investing into anything. Durable, low impact equipment cost an arm and leg and you don't want to invest into something you don't enjoy and won't use a lot. One year in a gym will give you time to test different types and figure out, which one you like best.
    Once you know, which one you want, I'd recommend NOT to go cheap but spend time - again - to read test reports. Here's what I like:
    • The water rower (or alternatively Concept2, which is used in most gyms) because it's low impact on the back, easy to store, not noisy :-) , counts for cardio but trains arms, core and legs at the same time
    • the treadmill TUNTURI t70 because it's low impact on achilles and knees (in comparison to cheaper treadmills)
    • the Tomahawk E series spinning bike because it's sturdy and allows to easily change resistance

To answer your question more thoroughly we'd need to know training goals, experience, time assigned per training session, budget :-) , gym space available, prefered activities/ dislikes, health implications, etc..

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference as to what to get. I like to jog so I have a treadmill, but I also have a gym membership through my work as I like to change up my workouts.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical and like it. Plus my wife likes it too. I am considering a rowing machine. Why get a treadmill when you can run outside. Treadmills are the worst on your joints. I would love to get this from Octane below. Own a Octane elliptical. This is the Zero Runner.

http://www.octanefitness.com/home/products/zero-runner/
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 121 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've had over the years a bike, treadmill, elliptical trainer and all ended up as clothes hangers. The best of them was an Elliptical trainer but i have realised my preference is body weight exercises at home and using great gym equipment in a gym.

However my favourite pieces of home gym equipment are: a yoga mat and Trojan push up handles which I take with me when i travel too.
  • canadiangirl014
    canadiangirl014 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments above to try the equipment at the gym for a while first if you haven't already. I did and found that I really didn't care for the elliptical but loved the treadmill. And last year, I got an awesome treadmill for Christmas. I also have three sets of dumbbells and a whole set of Jillian Michaels workout DVDs and yoga mat so I feel content with my home gym setup.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Are you more apt to use one vs another? Does one line up better with your goals than another?

Personally, a bike would always be my first choice, but I'm a cyclist... so I enjoy it the most and it lines up best with my goals. I have an elliptical that I hate, but that's just me. I'd love an AMT machine for my basement... but they are too expensive.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Again it's personal preference and a great place to find out what your preferences are is a gym. I have a hanging bag set up, all kinds of yoga equipment (I'm an instructor so it's easy for me to find things I need to further my practice), and I'm getting a treadmill here soon because I always stop running once the snow and ice start and I'd like to not do that this year. I also don't care for ellipticals (likely due to my stride being too short for most of them to be used comfortably) but I didn't know that until I started going to the gym. I don't do well with home workout DVD's, but can usually find some great ideas for body weight workouts on pinterest or other sites.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have been assembling mine over time (about 1.5 years) based on interests. I'd suggest finding out what you like to do and build around that, realizing interests may change over time.

For me it all began with a treadmill - which I seem to use less these days - but anticipate using more now that the snowy weather is heading in. I prefer not to run inside during the freezing cold/snow. Just personal pref.

Late last year I purchased a Concept2 rower which I love. You really need to want to row before you spend the money on one. If not, it could be a waste. Fantastic workout.. Low impact (assuming proper form/technique).

This year (just last month) I purchased a Spinning Bike which I love. An amazing workout and again - low impact.

Also have dumbbells from 5lbs - 35lbs and as well as a Stability Ball.

Toss in a tv/dvd/stereo and it's all I have and use besides running outside.

I've spent time and money on mine because I much prefer home versus a club. Again, personal preference.

This is what has worked for me. I built around my interest and so far it's worked.
  • timetochange52
    timetochange52 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was just asking about this on my feed. I've been looking at the MaxiClimber and was wondering if they are any good. The reviews that I've seen are. My treadmill has finally died. I have a recumbent bike but I find it boring. I have free weights as well, a mini trampoline and a step block, but this contraption looks kind of fun. Plus it can be easily moved around. I really want a Boflex Tread Climber, but it's not in my budget right now.
  • adriennemarieb
    adriennemarieb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My dream gym is a Concept2, treadmill, a power cage, full set of dumbbells, a barbell and plates. All of that would put me back close to, if not more than, $3k, though. So, gym membership, it is!
  • adriennemarieb
    adriennemarieb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a spin bike. *drool*
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have an elliptical at home, after a week of using it my knees started hurting because I didn't have any way to switch up my exercise, the stride is too short.. and it gets really boring. They are expensive to move if you sell your house or leaving an apartment, I had to pay $400 for a moving company to come out and move it because the machine is very heavy and has a lot of delicate moving parts. You can't just throw it into the back of your truck. The elliptical at your gym will always be better unless you are looking to drop a lot of dough and prepared to fix anything that breaks. Looking back I wish I bought a treadmill instead, you can walk, run, use a high incline, etc, a lot more variety and not as lopsided to move. My other choice would be a rowing machine, works out the whole body and raises your heart rate.

• HollyMarie0595
    HollyMarie0595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kck2013 wrote: »
    A home gym is a big investment, and I'd recommend buying into a gym membership for one year before investing into anything. Durable, low impact equipment cost an arm and leg and you don't want to invest into something you don't enjoy and won't use a lot. One year in a gym will give you time to test different types and figure out, which one you like best.
    Once you know, which one you want, I'd recommend NOT to go cheap but spend time - again - to read test reports. Here's what I like:
    • The water rower (or alternatively Concept2, which is used in most gyms) because it's low impact on the back, easy to store, not noisy :-) , counts for cardio but trains arms, core and legs at the same time
    • the treadmill TUNTURI t70 because it's low impact on achilles and knees (in comparison to cheaper treadmills)
    • the Tomahawk E series spinning bike because it's sturdy and allows to easily change resistance

To answer your question more thoroughly we'd need to know training goals, experience, time assigned per training session, budget :-) , gym space available, prefered activities/ dislikes, health implications, etc..

I completely agree. Getting a gym membership is the best thing to do to experiment with what you like and don't like before spending $2000+ on home equipment. After having my gym membership I discovered that I actually prefer using free weights and TRX and for cardiovascular I bought myself a high quality treadmill. Again, its better to spend on a gym membership first before you buy an expensive coat rack!
  • StilljustaBill
    StilljustaBill Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the input. My biggest problem with a gym membership is distance from my home and time.