HELP - Protein Powder

Options
I wanted to increase my daily protein so decided to sub my usual afternoon snack with a protein powder. So I went to the supplement store last night and the person there sold me Allmax Nutrition Hexapro. So first, I now see it has almost 180 calories per serving, which is really TWO snacks for me, and way more calories than I wanted. I would like to keep it under 130. And then I did a quick online search for reviews and see there's a class action lawsuit filed against this company for this brand. Also, it seems to be some sort of blend.

So, I haven't opened the container and will be taking it back at lunch today. However, what should I get?

I'm female, 5'3", currently 207.2 lbs (started at 240), goal is 140 lbs, have just started the SL 5x5 program, eating max 1310 calories per day. I usually eat nutrient rich foods, but just found I am struggling getting enough protein. So please make some suggestions for a good protein powder! I would prefer no artificial sweetener taste, if possible. And something that tastes good, as I'll likely just be mixing with water.

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    im interested in seeing the recommendations
  • ttomasovich
    ttomasovich Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from Nutrition Express. they have whey powders and non whey and are pretty good tasting as well as affordable. I have also used the powder in my bake goods, such as muffins, banana bread and choc oatmeal bites.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I can't mix protein powder with water...yuck.

FWIW, I like Trutein from bodybuilding.com. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup is 125 calories per scoop. I mix it with a cup of unsweetened vanilla Almond milk, 30 calories. Total calories, 155 calories.

I have their Choc PB Cup, Cinnabun (great for protein pancakes), Pumpkin Pie (so yummy), and Caramel Mocha (OK, but not my favorite.) They have tons of other flavors I haven't tried, Red Velvet, Birthday Cake, Mango...the list goes on.

ETA: I think I need to try the PB Marshmallow next!
    7akpt17d248l.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I use Vega protein powders -- it's about 90 calories per serving. I'm not sure if that will meet your need or not. But I'm really posting to give my suggestion for blending instead of water. I use half water and half unsweetened almond milk. The almond milk is pretty low calorie (I think 30 calories for a cup) and it makes a HUGE difference in the final result. Not sure if almond milk fits in your plan, but I find it much more enjoyable than plain water for protein shakes.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    That's great. I use unsweetened almost milk already for cereal and with oatmeal, so I can try that.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I wanted to increase my daily protein so decided to sub my usual afternoon snack with a protein powder. So I went to the supplement store last night and the person there sold me Allmax Nutrition Hexapro. So first, I now see it has almost 180 calories per serving, which is really TWO snacks for me, and way more calories than I wanted. I would like to keep it under 130. And then I did a quick online search for reviews and see there's a class action lawsuit filed against this company for this brand. Also, it seems to be some sort of blend.

So, I haven't opened the container and will be taking it back at lunch today. However, what should I get?

I'm female, 5'3", currently 207.2 lbs (started at 240), goal is 140 lbs, have just started the SL 5x5 program, eating max 1310 calories per day. I usually eat nutrient rich foods, but just found I am struggling getting enough protein. So please make some suggestions for a good protein powder! I would prefer no artificial sweetener taste, if possible. And something that tastes good, as I'll likely just be mixing with water.

Allmax Nutrition is a reputable brand. The reason the one he sold you has a higher calorie count is due to the fact that it has 10g of carbs per scoop (25g protein). I would suggest looking for a low carb, low fat protein. Allmax Nutrition IsoFlex has 111 calories in comparison (2g carbs and 27g protein). How many grams of protein are you looking to get from swapping out your afternoon snack with protein? This will also help in terms of getting recommendations.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Honestly, don't waste your money. Protein powders are overpriced and overrated. You can get all the protein you need from whole foods. I used to buy them... there's some kind of allure to them because you see gorgeous fitness models drinking them.. seriously though, waste of money. There's a lot of high protein foods out there so you can have a variety.

That being said.. optimum nutrition gold standard whey is 130 cals for 20 something grams of protein.
  • rebekahm95
    rebekahm95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use About Time protein. It's a good brand with good ingredients, plus it tastes good and each serving is only 100 calories. Their flavors are awesome too, especially the chocolate peanut butter! I have mine with a cup of unsweetened almond milk (adds 30 calories) and ice in the blender. If for pre-workout I'll also add a banana. It tastes great!!

About the product:
    100 Calories • 25 g Protein • <1 g Carbs
    Sweetened with Stevia
    No Artificial Sweeteners
    Lactose Free
    Gluten Free
    Non GMO Project

About Time® doesn't believe in sacrificing one good thing for another, we want it all! That's why we develop products that stand for great quality AND great taste. In addition, we appreciate simplicity which is why our protein powder has 5 ingredients or less that you can actually pronounce.

About Time is blended and packaged at our own facility in Pittsburgh, PA and we source our whey from dairy farms in the United States of America.

http://tryabouttime.com
  • adriennemarieb
    adriennemarieb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use G6 protein powder mixed with 8 oz of unsweetened Almond milk. It has 100 cals/scoop, is a whey isolate (which is better than a concentrate) and 1 28g scoop has 25g of protein.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Sounds like they sold you a weight-gainer protein (lots of sugar!!). The best I found is the "NOW Sports" brand, Natural, Unflavored Whey Isolate Protein. You can add a touch of Stevia to sweeten if needed.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    Honestly, don't waste your money. Protein powders are overpriced and overrated. You can get all the protein you need from whole foods. I used to buy them... there's some kind of allure to them because you see gorgeous fitness models drinking them.. seriously though, waste of money. There's a lot of high protein foods out there so you can have a variety.

That being said.. optimum nutrition gold standard whey is 130 cals for 20 something grams of protein.

depending on a person's goals, it may be unrealistic to get all of your protein from whole foods. my coach has me eating 160g of protein a day. i'm all for whole foods, but at the end of the night when i have 30+ grams of protein left to consume sometimes protein powder is just the easiest option.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    pzarnosky wrote: »

depending on a person's goals, it may be unrealistic to get all of your protein from whole foods. my coach has me eating 160g of protein a day. i'm all for whole foods, but at the end of the night when i have 30+ grams of protein left to consume sometimes protein powder is just the easiest option.

And I like to use my protein shake as 'dessert.' Choc PB protein shake is definitely giving me better benefits than Reese's PB cups (although I fit those in once in awhile, too).
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    Allmax Nutrition is a reputable brand. The reason the one he sold you has a higher calorie count is due to the fact that it has 10g of carbs per scoop (25g protein). I would suggest looking for a low carb, low fat protein. Allmax Nutrition IsoFlex has 111 calories in comparison (2g carbs and 27g protein). How many grams of protein are you looking to get from swapping out your afternoon snack with protein? This will also help in terms of getting recommendations.

My usual afternoon snack was a small greek yogurt. So anywhere between 20-30g of protein to replace would be fantastic. That's about how far I am usually from my daily goal.

I know these aren't "necessary", but I don't have a huge appetite, so if I can get the protein from a shake rather than from more food, I think that's best for me right now.
  • Gavin_Campbell
    Gavin_Campbell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have BIO-X Xtreme Power Whey Isolate. Its about 130 cals per serving if thatsgood for you. The chocolate tastes like chocolate milk.

If you go into a fitness store they usually have a samples you can try. That is what I did before choosing this one.

Also when you workout you can use the shake to counter balance the calories burnt at the gym instead of other food.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did a bit of research as well and went back to the store today and ended up with this one:

http://www.supplementsfuel.com/pvl-iso-gold-review/

Hopefully it tastes good. The chocolate PB flavour is 130 cal. The only thing that concerns me is the sucralose, but I couldn't find any at the local store that were under 130 calories without that.

Gavin, I'll try to find some samples of the BIO-X Xtreme! I might be able to order some online.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    How much protien are you looking for? I'm using muscle pharm combat. I have the cookies and cream flavor and mix with water and it's pretty good. A lot of my lifting friends swear by this brand and I've found it to be very good. It has different types of protien which is good. It has bcaas, 25g protien and 140 calories.

One thing i recommend is drinking your protien shakes slowly over a 30min. To 1 hour period. Your body can only absorb so much protien at a time so drinking it slowly will allow your body to better absorb it.

Oh and whatever you get make sure it doesn't have creatine if your goal is weight loss!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I try to get my protein from the foods I eat, but when I come up short I use AboutTime protein powder. It's 100 calories for 24 grams of protein, and it's sweetened with Stevia. It's a bit expensive, but worth it for the once or twice a week I need to use a scoop.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite! No after taste. Only 110 calories. I mix it with yogurt, almond milk and I've mixed the vanilla with orange juice to make a creamsicle tasting yummy drink...

http://www.northcoastnaturals.com/products/isoprotein.php
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    @tillerstouch thanks for the tip about drinking it over time :smile:

The PVL Iso Gold has 27g of protein per scoop, 1g carbs, 1g fat, 130 calories for the choc PB flavour.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I get most protein from real food. But about 2 times a week I end up with a shake. I have used many. Shakeology was like drinking chalk no matter what I added or mixed it with, gold standard was the second best on my list. The one that Young Living makes is actually one of the reasons I became a distributer. I love it! It is pricy but often I will only use half a scoop instead of two so that stretches it while sticking with my "protein from real food" goal. And it is the one shake that does not taste fake to me and I can mix it with water and drink it plain and I enjoy it.

Good luck on your hunt. From what I have heard from others, it seems like everyone reacts to the flavors of different brands in a different way. Something my friend loves I can't stand, something I find excellent someone else finds a bit of a weird aftertaste. Try a few in small sizes.