Burning calories accurately

Why is there such a big difference in the calories i burn at the gym, but when I log it in MFP it is way more than it says on the machines at the gym? This is very frustrating to me, as I need it to be as accurate to feel good at my accomplishments. Help please. Thanks!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited December 2015
    Outside of a lab, nothing is accurate. They are all just estimates. Each way has their strengths and weaknesses.
    What you are doing will depend on which method is best to estimate. If using MFP entries, the more specific the are, the more likely they will be to being a reasonable estimate. For example - the MFP entry for "elliptical" isn't great. It doesn't account for incline, pace, resistance etc. Something like "walking, 3.0km per hour" will be pretty reasonable.

When in doubt, go with the lower estimate.

Many people have lost weight successfully before calorie burn estimates were popular. It isn't necessary but can be helpful.
    Be consistent, monitor it over time. The scale will tell you if you are overestimating or not.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Everything is an estimate. Get used to it.
  • TracyinPA
    TracyinPA Posts: 17 Member
    I find a HRM to be the most accurate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    TracyinNJ wrote: »
    I find a HRM to be the most accurate.
    @TracyinNJ
    How do you know that HRM is more accurate unless you have calibrated it somehow? Accurate for what is also a big question?

For some activities it will be far less accurate.
    For many people it will be dreadfully inaccurate even if used for appropriate exercise under the right conditions.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    If you want a relatively accurate estimate and you have a consistent routine, then just log calories in and monitor your weight on the scale. Use that information over a 6 week average to calculate TDEE. Since you are assuming your NEAT estimate is accurate (which you probably never verified), then just subtract NEAT from TDEE to get exercise calories burned on average and compare that to the machine or MFP.

I would only focus on getting more accurate numbers if you aren't getting the results you expect. However, focusing on calorie intake accuracy is probably more important than focusing on exercise calorie out accuracy.
  • ChantillyPete
    ChantillyPete Posts: 1 Member
    I do crossfit and there is not a lot of info out there on calorie burn specifically for that. I read a post on another site where a crossfitter uses heart rate monitor that gives calorie burns, he then threw out the really high and really low scores and created a baseline based on his feel of exertion, definitely not precise but it seemed to work for him. I ordered a chest band heart rate monitor that syncs to multiple apps and plan to wear it when I do crossfit. It allows you to enter your info (height, weight, gender...) in the app which it uses to calculate calories burned. I'll then use those numbers for my cardio portion on this site to help me figure out where I need to adjust my calories and exercise with the goal to find the sweat spot to build muscle and hopefully burn some fat. I also run so I will get better estimates of calories burned there. When people I eat lunch with at work ask why I am noting my food I explain I am using this site to track my calories. That inevitably leads to the conversation on calories, calorie deficit and exercise. I explain that it is NOT an exact science (like previous people have stated) as I am not being tested in a lab but rather an estimate that I am using to tweak my eating and see what all the exercise is or is not doing. here is a really good blog post from this site on heart rate monitors, it is a couple of years old but offers some good advice. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472 NOTE: I am not sure if the model I bought will allow me to estimate the VO2 Max or not, we'll see when I arrives later. Once again, I have accepted the fact that my calorie facts and calories burned are an estimate but can be useful tools.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    I use a HRM for cardio, which always comes in lower than MFP and the gym machines, and I just hope it's more accurate because I put in more info to be used for the estimated burn. For strength I use MFP so I can track the days but I really try not to eat back those calories (and they're fairly low anyway).

In any case, a lot of folks just eat back a percentage of the calories to account for any overestimation. I just eat enough of them so that I'm not hungry. I'm losing weight on schedule with what I'm tracking so figure it's working. If it stops working, I'll have to try something else.
    I would only focus on getting more accurate numbers if you aren't getting the results you expect. However, focusing on calorie intake accuracy is probably more important than focusing on exercise calorie out accuracy.

+1
  • TimilahABond
    TimilahABond Posts: 5 Member
    Good to know I don't have to be obsessed with the calorie count. I check it to get a general idea. But I know it could be inaccurate.