I am never hungry enough to meet my calorie count

Options

Replies

• slbean121704
    slbean121704 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use a measuring cup, but I don't see a need for a scale.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes, I use a measuring cup, but I don't see a need for a scale.

When I switched from measuring cups to a scale, I found that I could be off on calories by as much as 20%. I really became successful when I switched to a scale.

BTW, scale are cheap and easy to use after you get them figured out. It's actually easier to use the scales, because I just put my plate on the scale, TARE it out, and start adding food. No measuring cups to clean! Yay! (I hate dishes. ;) )
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I am typing in exactly what food, what brand and going by the serving size. If a serving is 1/2 cup then I eat 1/2 cup or a cup and enter exactly what brand etc, match it to the label to make sure it is the same. I don't need to weigh everything. I'm getting a bit annoyed by this, that's not the point. Forget it

Measuring cups/spoons are notoriously wrong. Food scale are more accurate, even chefs use them.

OP people are trying to help you, either take the advice and fix it or just give up, it's up to you OP.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    prior to starting my diet, 800+ of my daily calories came from my mugs of sugar milk coffee, once i gave them up i had a hard time meeting even the 1200 calories mfp had set since for i too was use to eating mostly once a day beforehand. what i did till i got used to eating more regularly and learned to make different food choices that i could enjoy even when out, is make a daily shake with yogurt, frozen banana, vanilla almond milk, hemp hearts and hershey 100% cocoa powder and a couple drops of ezsweetz. it stays cold in a thermost thingie for hours so you can take it to go and it goes down quickly with a straw so i did not feel like I was forcing myself to eat..depending on how much hemp hearts i used, the shake would average 400-500 calories and it help me make my calorie goal, as well as help me meet my in macro goals such as protein and good fats too..
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    OP, please watch this video. ^^^^
  • quiksylver296
    edited December 2015
    Options

This is a fabulous video that shows what I am trying to convey, much better than I can. Do watch it. Thanks, @BecomingBane
  • Serah87
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

OP watch, big eye opener!!!
  • slbean121704
    slbean121704 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one for your advise, I do appreciate it. I will try a scale.
    Thanks everyone

For the one lady that is just downright being rude you don't need to comment at all.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Thanks everyone

For the one lady that is just downright being rude you don't need to comment at all.

Awesome! Good luck!
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Cups and spoons are for volumetric liquid measurements. Solids need to be measured by mass, meaning you have to weigh them to know what you're really getting. Here's another video example using oatmeal. A half cup is supposed to be 40 grams, but his half cup holds 53 grams. That is 50 extra calories a serving you would be assuming you had left to eat in your day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk
  • quiksylver296
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Cups and spoons are for volumetric liquid measurements. Solids need to be measured by mass, meaning you have to weigh them to know what you're really getting. Here's another video example using oatmeal. A half cup is supposed to be 40 grams, but his half cup holds 53 grams. That is 50 extra calories a serving you would be assuming you had left to eat in your day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

Ooh, this is a good one! I've never seen this one before. Love it!
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Who was rude to you? People are genuinely trying to help and the only rude comment that I've seen in this thread was yours, actually :
    " I don't need to weigh everything. I'm getting a bit annoyed by this, that's not the point. Forget it."

• quiksylver296
    Options
    Who was rude to you? People are genuinely trying to help and the only rude comment that I've seen in this thread was yours, actually :
    " I don't need to weigh everything. I'm getting a bit annoyed by this, that's not the point. Forget it."

My guess would be Serah87 when she said "fix it or give up." I understand the tough love thought, not sure it was necessary.
  • Serah87
    Options
    Thanks everyone

Actually you gave the attitude when people were trying to help you.
  • quiksylver296
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone

Actually you gave the attitude when people were trying to help you.

And you fired back. Two wrongs make a right in your opinion? OP certainly responded better to people who were being polite and explaining, than to you.

I guess it depends on what your intentions were. Mine were to help. Yours did not appear to be that way.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I'm not sure who you mean by that final comment, but I assume it's me for posting a link and running rather than a longer comment? This kind of question happens to come up often and posting my list as a separate thread was easier than copy/pasting it each time. I'm sorry that you didn't find it useful, but maybe if you could talk more about why it would help others give you better advice.

Though I do agree with those suggesting a food scale. Getting one of those was a game changer for my slow weight loss.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Bunch of Meanies! ;)
  • Serah87
    Options
    Bunch of Meanies!

Off to my corner.
  • bullterrierfan
    bullterrierfan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wish I didn't have the opposite problem...