Ran my first mile!!!

Options
MadiJo_95
MadiJo_95 Posts: 6 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I just ran my first mile without stopping! Granted it was run in 13:08, but I kept on running even when I felt like death itself! Next I will train for 5k!

Replies

• IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! That was a HUGE day for me too! Who cares about speed?!?! It will come! I just did my first two miles without stopping week before last...it was just as exciting! Keep going!
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just did my first mile and a half without stopping yesterday! So awesome to set personal records!
  • rosebud5t
    rosebud5t Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Great job!
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Best.feeling.ever! Congratulations!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yay!!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner. In May I decided I wanted to try. So I started doing a little at a time. After a month or so I noticed a difference and after 1 1/2 months I ran a full 3 miles without stopping @ 12 min miles. Would run 3 X a week, indoors and outside.
    I did my first 5 K in October and 2nd in Nov.. My timing was even better for the races 10-11 min miles.
    I do a lot of intervals on treadmill that helps my endurance. I started off running at 4.5 on treadmill. Now I can power walk that speed. I run at 5-6 with intervals at 8 (7 1/2 min miles).
    Keep training. Listen to your body, warm up as long as u need and push it when u can. My husband and sister are getting into too. They did their first race with me in Nov.

Good luck!

• TracyinPA
    TracyinPA Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! That's awesome!!! I ran my first mile (non stop) about 2 months ago.. and last week i ran (nonstop!) a 5K!!! I used C25K to train for it :) ... good luck to you!! If I can do it .... You can do it!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Whoo hooo! that's great!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Speed comes with time and distance. Keep on Truckin.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm still working towards my mile non stop, but I'll get there eventually :smile:
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hey, that is great! Miles is miles, speed not important. I've been running since February and have been making slow but steady progress, and still at 15 minute miles... I don't let it get me down. Until my runner's knee developed I was up to over 5 miles at a time! :) Keep up the great work!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yay!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Well done! That is fabulous!
  • kevinbullen1979
    kevinbullen1979 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Keep on going
  • Ms_GiveAHoot
    Ms_GiveAHoot Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! ::cheering for you::
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Once you've built your base running longer distances becomes largely a mental game.

I'm a little concerned about your "felt like death itself"comment. It's good to have goals but running should be enjoyable, take your time progressing and build up at your own pace as it's a sport that you can enjoy for the rest of your life.

BTW, I should warn you.......5Ks are a gateway race. I still remember my fist one as if it was yesterday and there is nothing like the feeling you get the first time you cross that finish line in a vertical position. But then your brain plays tricks on you.....you start think about going faster or longer and next thing you know you're training for a 10K or half-marathon. Madness.....sheer madness. (You'll amaze yourself!)
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I remember when I ran my first mile so I know what a huge deal that is. You'll be running 3 or 4 miles without stopping before you know it. Just enjoy the warm glow of doing something you couldn't do before.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'll never forget the day I ran my first full mile either. Keep going, you will find you can do so much more than you ever thought you could.
  • bpp23
    bpp23 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!