Losing weight on your period?

Options
I once read an article stating that women lose 300 extra calories during their cycle. Is this true or maybe to I have my information mixed up?
Maybe it was we burn 300 less...
Any clues?

Replies

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't believe my menstruation burns any extra cals, nor any less. Keeping this belief takes a lot of complications out of the picture, why worry every month if you need to be eating less or eating more? I just try stay consistent.
  • Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm not worrying about it at all, I was just asking as general knowledge.
    I don't really care one way or the other.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I recall reading something similar - that our BMR goes up a bit during menstruation and/or ovulation.

Is it enough to justify eating more? Nah. But I do go back up to maintenance around that time if I'm in a deficit and extra hungry.

~Lyssa
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I recall reading something similar - that our BMR goes up a bit during menstruation and/or ovulation.

Is it enough to justify eating more? Nah. But I do go back up to maintenance around that time if I'm in a deficit and extra hungry.

~Lyssa

Ya, I've read that as well and I also switch to eating at maintenance when my hunger goes up a few days before my period starts.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Don't quote me on this (and I will try to dig up the source in a peer-reviewed article if I remember when I get home) but I think that on average, it's only about a 4% increase of your BMR during your luteal cycle. A 4% Increase for me works out to be an extra 55 cals or so a day. So I guess it could be 300 cals or so TOTAL, depending on your cycle. But I don't think it's something to take into account really. I have maintenance days when I feel that I need them.
  • anna1m
    anna1m Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get extremely grumpy if I am eating on too much of a deficit around my period. Like insane...
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Could make sense. I could see how all the stuff our bodies do for those few days could burn calories sure. But it's probably off set for most people by cravings and water weight.
  • arijacks80
    arijacks80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Every time my period comes, I feel AWFUL if I don't eat a bit more than normal. Horrible chocolate cravings, stomach feels a bit crampy if I don't eat more often during the day, etc. Worst time of the month for me. I try to be REALLY good calorie wise those other 3 weeks to offset if I have a half of a Hershey bar! LOL
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    arijacks80 wrote: »
    Every time my period comes, I feel AWFUL if I don't eat a bit more than normal. Horrible chocolate cravings, stomach feels a bit crampy if I don't eat more often during the day, etc. Worst time of the month for me. I try to be REALLY good calorie wise those other 3 weeks to offset if I have a half of a Hershey bar! LOL

In addition to what you're already doing, consider taking a magnesium supplement. The chocolate craving could be a sign of a magnesium deficiency.

I started taking a magnesium supplement several months ago and my chocolate cravings have all but disappeared. I still keep treats here and tend to have a little more than usual during my period, but I don't feel like devouring a whole bag of M&Ms anymore.

~Lyssa
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    If I use extra calories, I have yet to see it in my logs or weight loss.
  • crystal_heart
    crystal_heart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that our metabolism increases during our periods. this is the cause for our increased hunger. if you do not give in to the cravings (or satisfy them with healthy foods within your calorie limit) you can lose weight on your period. I have done so.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You usually burn more during your period, but we also tend to want to eat more to compensate, so it balances out.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    300 calories over a 7 day span is pretty much nothing anyways. I find the scale to jump up a couple pounds at the begining thanks to bloating. I wouldn't calculate that figure in anywhere. I heard that farting expends 67 calories each time... now that could be a good loss for some!
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I get grumpy and emotional, emotional me NEEEEDS chocolate and things to cope with TOM. I find just before then I gain for few lbs - anything up to 5lbs which is horrid. It feels worse than just 50 cals though haha
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It evens out over your cycle

There is some scientific basis in an increased BMR leading up to menstruation

However it is massively majoring in the minors

Appetites can change and there's no harm eating to maintenance for a couple of days