Jillian Michaels: Modifications for Bad Knees?

rosestring
rosestring Posts: 225 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, has anyone been able to do any JM video with bad knees and, if so, what were your modifications? I am meaning for lunges especially.

I had bad left knee pain after a couple weeks of 30DS (though X-rays showed no injuries on either knee), despite not going as deep into the lunges and watching form on all exercises.

Someone gave me BFBM and I am motivated now to exercise, and want to do JM very badly. I just feel sad because I have weak knees.

Does anyone believe there is even a chance I can still do them safely?

EDIT: I did forget to mention that I was doing the workouts without shoes, though I am wondering... Could shoes potentially fix this issue? I was doing the videos in socks before

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I have bad knees. The official diagnosis is "pain with activity." Nothing showed up on the X-ray or MRI. I'm not supposed to do squats, lunges, or impact higher than walking.

My feeling is that it is too soon for you to jump back in to JM, but ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist to design a workout right for you. I have strengthened my knees by doing these regularly, and building up slowly.

ydfw193nkwrg.jpg
  • jamieb55
    jamieb55 Posts: 145 Member
    I would say it depends on whats wrong with your knee (see a doctor), my doctor has advised me not to do lunges and a few other exercises that put too much strain on my bad knee.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Thank you both. I will have to see an ortho doctor soon, I guess. Can't really afford it at the moment. Bleh.

I definitely try out those exercises!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I skip all those sorts of moves if they are repetitive :( But if it helps, weighted (or slow, single-leg) glute bridges do not hurt my knees! You might see if that's how yours are, too. Be careful :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    1. Yes if you have bad knees, wear properly fitting shoes.
    2. A general rule is that to make any move low impact, keep one foot on the ground, then switch feet half way thru each exercise. I assume that low impact is what you need but maybe not.