Healthy Lunches for My Kids

Options
IncredibleMulk77
IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
I struggle with what my kids eat for lunch. They have no way to heat anything up at school and when I pack them lunches it seems like it's always sandwiches or the occasional wrap and they ALWAYS want chips and snacks. They are both fairly picky eaters, but I am wondering what any of you might be doing to pack them healthy lunches with some variety that they enjoy.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    We use a thermos THIS ONE and it has opened up possibilities.

My daughter is also in after school care, so I pack enough for her day. 1 small entree (1/2 sandwich, small salad, veggie/turkey chili, turkey/zucchini meatballs w marinara, cauliflower/cheese mac, grape tomatoes with cheese cubes, leftovers), 1 small bottled water, one fruit, 1 savory snack (usually popcorn or almonds), 1 sweet snack (usually a 100-calorie pack of cookies or fruit leather).
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Cottage cheese and fruit (pineapple, peaches, apricots, yellow apples)
    hard boiled eggs
    apples and peanut butter
    mini muffins
    string cheese
    peanut butter and banana sandwich
    chips and salsa
    mini bagels with cream cheese and ham
    sliced cucumbers and ranch
    cinnamon pita chips
    pickles
    PB&J apple roll ups
    trail mix
    homemade Lunchables with cheese, crackers, and pepperoni slices
    grape tomatoes and mozzarella cubes
    mini pancakes with jelly
    fruit salad with yogurt
    watermelon freezes well- it will thaw by lunchtime and still be cold

• Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    The other day, I made this for my kids. They were really yummy. I took 2 thin slices of ham and put them in a muffin tin. Added .5 T of pizza sauce, pineapples and a bit of mozza cheese. I broiled them for a few minutes. Let them cool. They will keep their shape. The kids just had them cold in their lunch the next day. They freeze well, so you can make quite a few at once and then take them out as needed.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Oh, that muffin idea is great! I'd bring that for my own lunch, lol. Did you just use a regular muffin tin, or mini?
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Would they eat hummus and veggies or pita chips? There is a Ranch and Pizza flavored recipe.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/pizza-hummus-recipe.html

Kid Friendly Ranch Hummus
    Kraft

1 15 oz Can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup Fat free cottage cheese
    1/4 cup Nonfat plain yogurt
    1 1 oz Package Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix
    1 tbsp Fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 tbsp Olive oil
    1 tsp Chopped garlic

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Puree until mixture is smooth and slightly fluffy, scraping sides. Transfer to storage container. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. Serve with veggies, pita bread or pita chips.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My kids are the worst, seriously. We have those Thermos containers to keep food warm but only use it for mac'n cheese as they don't really want to eat much... So we pretty much alternate between

- chicken nuggets
    - crackers and cheese/pepperoni
    - hummus and crackers
    - English muffin 'pizza'
    - Bagel and cream cheese (with smoked salmon for my daughter)
    - sandwiches (they only like bacon sandwiches so just shoot me now)
    - mac'n cheese
    - leftover pizza (that's rare)
    - waffle with sausage and/or bacon (can put some syrup in a container, I use disposable 2oz shot cups)

If my kids ate it, I'd give them soup or chili with a piece of bread, or mini quiches. I did salads at some point but they got bored with it... and they'll eat cheese tacos but not at school...

I want to make these at some point though

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pizza-muffins

I always add some fruit, a cookie, and a drink (usually juice or chocolate milk).
  • warriorscatsrule308
    Options
    You could put some food or soup in a thermos.
    To keep it warm, I usually boil some water and put it in the thermos first. Do this maybe 20 minutes before you leave.I then put the lid on to keep heat from escaping. Right before you leave, heat the food that you are going to put in the thermos. Dump the boiling water out and wipe it clean and then put the warm food in. For me, it's warm when I have lunch, about 4-5 hours after I make it.
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You all are AWESOME! Thank you! I'm going shopping in the AM and will certainly prep many of these ideas for next week! The Thermos has been ordered as well.

The one downside is nothing can have peanut in it...it's a peanut free school, which is rough because they both LOVE peanut butter.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about kids (at least mine anyway) is that they don't mind eating the same thing every day. Mine are fine with sandwiches, I do one day PBJ (not a nut free school), one day turkey, one day cold cheese. I try to get them to do school lunch at least one day a week (usually ends up being grilled cheese or corn dog day) and then Friday's I send Lunchables.

If we have leftover pizza I have sent that.
    I always include something crunchy (chips, carrots or snap peas) and a fruit. Sometimes a frozen gogurt or a squeeze applesauce.

I used to try to be creative or add variety but they are fine with mostly sandwiches so I am too!