I may have unhealthy eating habits and I'm hungry a lot.

Options
So I tend to eat something like porridge then some toast for breakfast then lunch, then wait for 6+ hours (can be like 11 hours) until I eat again. I do this so I can eat a large meal and I really don't get why I do it. I think I like sitting down and eating for a while why I watch something. Maybe that's it I'm not sure. Anyway I fear it can sometimes lead to over eating and I feel uncomfortably hungry throughout the day.

Has anyone else dealed with this before, and if so how did you overcome it?

This is my first post but I've been logging for 40+ days and can see a small but obvious difference and I feel less unhealthy as opposed to more healthy.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem with your eating schedule. If you are concerned that it is unhealthy, or will prevent weight loss, rest assured that it will not. Different people eat on different schedules and that is fine. Your weight loss, maintenance, or gain will be mostly attributable to your caloric intake.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    if you stay in your calories there isn't anything wrong with that sort of schedule. I don't eat until about 1 in the afternoon because I know I will want more calories at night, and I make sure I have them. On the other hand if you are hungry all day that is not a fun way to live. Maybe think of some low calorie things you can have as a snack there in between your two meals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,015 Member
    Options
    When I eat sufficient protein in relationships to carbs, I don't get hungry in between meals. A porridge/toast breakfast would not work for me at all - bring on the eggs!

Get plenty of fat and fiber helps fill me up as well.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you mean, when you're used to large meals it can be unsatisfying on so many levels to eat small meals.

I do something similar, but its a bit different and may help you lots! Here the meal you're "skipping" is lunch, but I skip breakfast. This way I can sip my coffee and tea or water all morning and then I get two much bigger meals for lunch and dinner. I preplan them so I meet my calorie goals, so that for example I dont get stuck with having had 750 cals of mac and cheese for lunch and 900 cals of spaghetti. I can manage to fit in these foods calorie wise to I do prefer more balance and pre-planning helps me with that. So I plan a pork chop and rice for lunch today, and Im going to get a spinach feta wrap from Sbucks for dinner because of a work thing/convenience. I got a big meal to sit and linger with which satisfies my soul so that dinner wont feel quite so cheap and fast and small.

Long story shorter, by skipping breakfast I find I dont get too hungry until lunch. But if I were to start eating early in the day I would feel just as miserable and hungry as you do. Maybe give a different order a try and see if that fits your needs better. I know I feel a lot better about my odds of success now that Im not forcing myself into 3 smaller meals.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    First, how big is your deficit. Going too low is a recipe for disaster. I would make sure you are aiming for no more than 1-2 lbs per week or else hunger is going to be an issue.

Also, If hunger is your main sticking point I would experiment with your macro nutrient ratios. MFP's default is kind of extreme when it comes to carbohydrate intake (like 70% i think). I would try dropping your carb intake and upping your fat and protein intake. Some people find they do well on a moderate carbohydrate intake (40%-50%) while some excel on an even lower intake (10-20%).

I would also look at the types of carbohydrates you're eating. Sugar and Grains tend to be less filling than fruit and vegetables.

As one of the above posters said if I ate oatmeal and toast for breakfast I would be ravenously hungry by lunch time but a nice omelet with peppers, mushrooms, ham, and cheese keeps me satisfied until lunch time.

Again, before I get roasted my advice is predicated on making a change in food choice to minimize your hunger. You will still need to be in a calorie deficit.

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    First, how big is your deficit. Going too low is a recipe for disaster. I would make sure you are aiming for no more than 1-2 lbs per week or else hunger is going to be an issue.

Also, If hunger is your main sticking point I would experiment with your macro nutrient ratios. MFP's default is kind of extreme when it comes to carbohydrate intake (like 70% i think). I would try dropping your carb intake and upping your fat and protein intake. Some people find they do well on a moderate carbohydrate intake (40%-50%) while some excel on an even lower intake (10-20%).

I would also look at the types of carbohydrates you're eating. Sugar and Grains tend to be less filling than fruit and vegetables.

As one of the above posters said if I ate oatmeal and toast for breakfast I would be ravenously hungry by lunch time but a nice omelet with peppers, mushrooms, ham, and cheese keeps me satisfied until lunch time.

Again, before I get roasted my advice is predicated on making a change in food choice to minimize your hunger. You will still need to be in a calorie deficit.

I love that you had to specify that lol! The whole site would have been in an uproar that carbs are not bad and it won't help you lose weight. I think this was all good advice.
  • LindseyYoung1
    LindseyYoung1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're waiting longer than 4 hrs to eat, you'll want a small healthy snack, according to my nutritionist teacher. Otherwise, your body will feel like it's starving, and you'll overeat at your next meal. :) Some advice
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do this so I can eat a large meal and I really don't get why I do it. I think I like sitting down and eating for a while why I watch something.

I get this, I think. Your habit has been to use eating as an excuse to relax in the evening, so you want to drag it out as long as possible. If I'm understanding correctly, I used to do that, and it was why I'd eat even if not all that hungry -- I didn't want to leave that window of justified relaxation and have to go back to whatever else I thought I had to do.

For me it was important to break the connection between eating and taking a break. Some will say to try to eat more mindfully, not in front of the TV, think about what you are eating and so on. I think that's a nice idea and probably worthwhile, but I admit that when I'm not eating with another person (which is a good thing to do, if possible), I often read stuff on the computer or watch TV. But I try to make my relaxation time a window and not tied to eating. For meals when I first started I planned ahead and had a set plan and put the leftover food away, with the understanding that I would not have more. I never was hungry for more anyway once I gave it a few minutes after dinner was over.

If you are getting really hungry before dinner that definitely could make it harder, so I'd recommend at least experimenting with eating somewhat more before dinner and maybe more of a variety of food. I find that adding some protein will make me more satisfied for a longer period of time, and make sure that both my breakfast and lunch have protein. Also, if you just want to bulk up a meal and make it seem bigger, vegetables will do that for few calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you... but obviously you have to make a choice between being hungry and having huge meals. After that, as long as you don't actually overeat, there's nothing wrong with that.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    If you're waiting longer than 4 hrs to eat, you'll want a small healthy snack, according to my nutritionist teacher. Otherwise, your body will feel like it's starving, and you'll overeat at your next meal. :) Some advice

Are these absolutes?

Of course they aren't.

OP. It's all down to personal preference and whatever promotes adherence. View your day as a whole, what is important is meeting calorie and macronutritional goals, not how or when.
  • Chobkronker
    Chobkronker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I didn't expect to get any replies so was shocked at the thoughfulness of all your messages, thank you all so much!
    cityruss wrote: »

OP. It's all down to personal preference and whatever promotes adherence. View your day as a whole, what is important is meeting calorie and macronutritional goals, not how or when.

How important is it to hit macronutrients? I've been ignoring them for the most part and just focusing on calories for 40+ days at this point. I do check them and they're rarely significantly obscure, though sometimes there's just so many carbs it's uncool.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I get this, I think. Your habit has been to use eating as an excuse to relax in the evening, so you want to drag it out as long as possible. If I'm understanding correctly, I used to do that, and it was why I'd eat even if not all that hungry -- I didn't want to leave that window of justified relaxation and have to go back to whatever else I thought I had to do.

Argh, this is so frustratingly accurate I kind of hate that this could be why I do what I do. Thank you for that insight.